DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Glock-9mm
Giant

Re: DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Post by Glock-9mm »

Finally this is as finished as its going to be for a while and I am now working towards to the Beta Version of this project, there are few minor things I need to do like installing the Fans but other than that Im done with this Portable GM Rig.

The rig is now being run by my old PC (Quad Core with 8GB RAM and 1 GB GFX card) and I have is connected to the House LAN via one of these http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=310) - If you were wondering about these devices... I fully love mine! :)

What cant you see (or very well) in the photos?

* I placed a power board inside the rig (The type you get from Tescos or Kmart) that all 3 screens run off that, all 3 Screen, Keyboard & Mouse cables are fed through the hole in the bottom and through to the PC under the table}
* You can see the cord drops and the feet on the last picture

Some thoughts on the over all project are as follows

* The reality is that this "Rig" should be quite affordable for most people, most of the objects can be sourced very cheaply or for free and as long as you have access to a small workshop you should be able to make something similar over a few days, all you need it basic woodwork skills. (That's all I have)
* There 1 annoying design flaw with this model and that's around the ability to access the back of the screens - this is a minor issue though and when I build version 2 of this rig that issue will be resolved.
* The Finish could have been a lot better but as this is just a prototype I wasn't that bothered.

Final List of Parts
Stuff I needed?

$Free * PC: - I had my old PC and that does the job
$Free * 17" Screen x 1 - My mate had an ASUS laying around
$Free * 15" Screen x 2 - My mate had two matching IBMs laying around
$4 * Cup Holder
$14 * 80mm Fans x2 (For keeping the monitors cool)
$12 * 80mm Skullwing Fan Covers x2 (For looking cool!)
$86 * USB 2.0 UGA resolved
$45 - Screen Mounts x3
$Free * 4 way powerboard
$70 * Timber
$40 Screws, Hunges and Handles

Total: $271 (NZD)

* The ABove assumes you have a Mouse, Keyboard and Switch Etc.. the costs are just what I spent so your own project will vary.

So... What will the next Version feature? - The answer to that is all the things I wish Id done this time around and I have already sourced (again for free) 2 matching LCD Screens except that this time they are dual 19" Dells. This is a massive upgrade from the Dual 15"s I'm running at the moment but I couldn't get them into this model as the dye was already set. :)

* The new version will have only 2 fixed screens, the 3 (centre)screen will be a Laptop on a docking station
* USB Hub - As the next is one is to have a laptop at its core USB ports will be lacking
* Built in speakers (for sound effects)
* Onboard 8 Port Switch (This is a harder feat as keeping it cool in a confined/limited space wont be easy)
* The outside shape will be rounded with real emphasis on the finish <-- Prolly the hardest feat

And without further ado.. the Pictures

Merry Xmas/Happy New Year everyone.
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

Lee
Dragon

Re: DIY - GM RIG for Roleplaying

Post by Lee »

Those beer bottles were a great touch! The beverage holder was nothing to sneeze at too :lol: Very nice.

Return to “User Creations”