Help with Plo's Inventory Mananger?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

kyuss11
Giant

Help with Plo's Inventory Mananger?

Post by kyuss11 »

I have just recently started using Plo's inventory manager and even though it was made a few years ago,it is absolutely a piece of art.The original post of Plo's Inventory Manager is on this same page.However it appears that Plo or anyone else is not responding to the post I made in the original Plo's Inventory Manager.There is 2 things I wish to accomplish with this post.One is the last page shows images to the left of the items,so how is that done.I need someone to help me with at least one and then I can do the rest.I figure on using a table for the images but the problem is and this is the second thing I would like to accomplish,how or where are the item data base stored.I would like to add items so when a player adds it to his sheet it will have all the updates instead of entering them manually every time.When you open the Inventory Lib token it has some stored items,but I opened every macro and could not find a library or data base?If someone could show me in the right direction,I would love to fatten this inventory up with all the new items etc.,with images and with Plo's permission of course re-release it as a updated Inventory drop-in.I have not found a better working or functioning inventory macro as of yet,so I would really appreciate the help from some of the Macro Kings out there.Thanks to Plo and anyone else that has made maptools evolve into the best dnd online table program.:)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Help with Plo's Inventory Mananger?

Post by aliasmask »

The manager with images is indeed nifty, but was a mod from another user for their personal game. Unfortunately, the way they added the images was directly adding the cached asset ids. So, the only place those images exist is on his computer. I did send him a message requesting the image set with directions on how to compile them to work with the existing file uploaded, but he's been away for MT awhile and I have not received a response as of yet.

So, I think the best step at this point is to start making a collection of images to be used. Then when someone can get to the re-coding of the manager, the image set will be there. IMO, the images should done as so. "image:[item name]" so a bag of holding image would be "image:Bag of Holding" and those images put on a separate map.

Here is a list I have compiled for magical item types and affinities. Actually, I got this from someone else through a random google search a while ago. These are only slot location types of items, so it's not comprehensive, but a start. ie you won't see potion or scroll in that list. I think all the images should be square, no borders and be either 64x64, 16x16 or somewhere in between. It would be nice if they looked identifiable at 16x16, but also not be pixelated at a larger size. Actually, since this is similar to window icon specifications, you may be able to find some images that way. Also, multiple images for the same item would be okay. They would be put on token image (large) and handout (small).
||| Magical Item Types |||
Crown
Hat
Helm
Headband
Mask
Goggles
Lenses
Muffs
Earrings
Amulet
Brooch
Medallion
Necklace
Periapt
Scarab
Cape
Cloak
Mantle
Armband
Bracers
Bracelets
Phylactery
Gauntlets
Gloves
Rod
Staff
Wand
Weapon
Shield
Ring
Armor
Robe
Mark
Tattoo
Ointment
Bag
Sack
Shirt
Vest
Vestment
Belt
Girdle
Boots
Shoes
Slippers
Pearl
Coin
Familiar
Weapon
Armor
Ioun Stone
||| Locations |||
Arm
Belt
Circling
Ear
Eye
Feet
Finger
Full Body
Head
In Hand
Nearby
Neck
On Hand
On Person
Shoulder
Skin
Torso
Utility

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Awesome this is a good start indeed.I know Plythos created this drop-in but someone else did the image modification?I guess then now we need someone,maybe Plythos or anyone that can code that modification,and get this rolling.I'm really excited in getting this drop-in updated with a whole bunch of new items and hopefully the images as well.Plythos is he still around?,because I sent him a pm but he didn't reply?Well all we can do is wait and if anyone has the talent or ability to accomplish these needs please feel free,lol

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Hey there,

I'm so glad you're finding the tool helpful, and I'm sorry it's as limited as it is. If I had enough time and energy to code more, we'd all be happier. :) At the moment, all my coding energies are devoted to the spell manager, which is nearly ready for a full new release (woot). Once that's done, actually the very next thing on my coding list is to take a look at at least designing an interface for adding weapons and equipment to the library. I also plan to separate out bonuses from feats and the like and make all that editable in separate places.

Images are not currently on my to-do list, as it would involve a good bit of work, could potentially slow the tool down, and isn't something I'm actually longing for personally. It does look slick, but I have always preferred functionality and simplicity in my tools. If there's a big hue and cry from the community I could add that to my list of things to do, or somebody could mod up a version with images to share. (Anybody thinking this way may want to bear in mind this is a drop-in for multiple systems and so any image work will have to assume the user will have to have the ability to easily add images to items, so you're looking at designing interfaces to work that, on top of whatever new data storage elements you're tossing in.)

I hope to get to the IM soon, Kyuss. I'm just having to deal with the demands of work and personal life, which slows things down.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Thanks Plothos for your hard work,I definitely understand life for I have a family of 5.I'm just happy that you do plan on a future release to allow adding items to some sort of data base.That improvement alone is a mostly what I was looking,it will save a tremendous amount of time and it will make this adaptable to any system.The images would be icing on the cake,but not necessary if it will lag the drop-in,functionality over anything.Well now all I have to do is wait :evil: ,just kidding,lol

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

My idea for your tool with images is to have a base image for item type, and if the gm wants to drop an image on the map with the catalog for specific items. It would be linked via the name. So, it'll search the map for image names and store that for use with the tool. So, it would be pretty simple to use and add new images. But like Plothos said, we have our current programming time tied up with other projects currently. But, if someone wants to do some work with images and post it, it would be really easy to add images to the inventory. We just need a catalog of images mostly. The code would just need the html updated to include space for the image.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I also have some concern for performance. I know frames like this really choke on, for instance, multiple macroLink()s. I suspect it is at least an area of concern if we start having the frame check every item for an image and then display said image. Maybe MT handles images better and this isn't an issue, but it's another thing that's made me shun trying anything like this... I might do all the work and find it wasn't worth it. AM, you might know better than I how well-founded that worry is.
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Images are no problem (if not too big), macroLinks are no problem when done right. Some of the procedures to create macroLinks I found to be a slow down. That's why I "pre-build" my links in most cases. "macro://macroName@lib:token/none/"+[r: id]+"?"+[r: encode(args)] or just cache the final string as a json and do the build in some initialization process if links don't change.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I must not build em right, cos I didn't follow any of that. ;)
Drop-In Utilities:

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Hey Plothos,I was wondering if you are heading in the direction of your inventory addon.I was hoping that you have finished your spell manager and maybe thought about the image reference.It seems possible to do one so other people could add to it and share there stuff. I'm still baffled on how you got those items stored on the original lib token,I've looked in all the macros and the lib properties and I don't see any data.Well that's why guys like you make the game better and players and I have a lot of fun using it,thanks Plothos :)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

kyuss11 wrote:Hey Plothos,I was wondering if you are heading in the direction of your inventory addon.I was hoping that you have finished your spell manager and maybe thought about the image reference.It seems possible to do one so other people could add to it and share there stuff. I'm still baffled on how you got those items stored on the original lib token,I've looked in all the macros and the lib properties and I don't see any data.Well that's why guys like you make the game better and players and I have a lot of fun using it,thanks Plothos :) Oh I was wondering if you could add a notes section.I have been using the bag and containers inside to kinda organize notes,for example a bag would have like say 3-5 cities in it and then in those containers the notes on the buildings in those cities etc,then in those containers the details of people from the buildings or quest.I figured with some similar coding you might be able to make a blank format just for notes.
Heh, it might well be that the code for adding those items doesn't exist any longer on the token. I'm not sure. I may have time to see if I can get a database-entry interface worked up this weekend.

Messages could certainly be done this way, but I'm not sure what you're looking for in a notes section, exactly.
I do have a message manager (see sig) for DMs. Can you expand on what you want to do with it?
Drop-In Utilities:

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Well it could be something as simple as the Misc, notes like you see on the Token itself or like adding a item called Letterhead,notes or something that would have a place to just add text,doesn't need to be part of the data base.I can get it to store notes by doing the bag-container thing but figured it could be more organized.The message manager I use and I like very much but that's more of a tool that gives info to the players rather than the player's themselves storing info.I hope I explained it,basically I want to get everything a person that would be playing DnD on a table in person,to function on the token.Maptools as far as I know does not have the ability to give players a way to store notes of the game.

Hypatia
Cave Troll

Post by Hypatia »

Also spent ages trying to add items to database with no success so a slight relief to find it's actually impossible at the moment but definitely would like it for the future .
Thought of a way round it by creating an NPC as a sort of database with all items on and then using it to give items to other PCs but can't seem to get pcs give items to other pcs at all. Has this not bee implemented yet or is it just me being rather dim.
I am very new to maptools or any sort of macro work so excuse any faux pas.
Having said all that the Inventory function is excellent.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Hmm.I'm not sure why without other info,but I can tell you that you have to confirm the trades in the chat by selecting the highlighted transfer comments.There will be 2 of them,one that gives the item to the receiving pc and one that removes the item from the giver.

Hypatia
Cave Troll

Post by Hypatia »

Thankyou so much for your quick reply.
I was just experimenting and didn't even look at the chat window so it is all solved. is there any way to combine quantitites eg having 15 arrows, being given 5 and then having 20 instead of 15 and 5 as shown?
Can't wait for images to be added. Any time soon?

Return to “User Creations”