USER CONTRIBUTIONS - THE FOURTH AGE COMETH

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

USER CONTRIBUTIONS - THE FOURTH AGE COMETH

Post by Gamerdude »

Hello everyone!

As some folks know, Azheri and I have been working on ways to improve and better organize the entire "User Creations" section of the MT Forums. The first step was the "MT Framework Directory" in the framework (FW) sub-forum. This lead to the realization that most of the FW threads were actually up in the main UserCreations forum, not in the FW sub-forum.

A bit if PMing back and forth, discussing forum and user needs, and estimated workload, we've come up with what we feel is a fairly good yet simple set up. (see below).

A big part of this project is *not* creating more work for any of the existing admins/moderators as well as not just suddenly having things change - move - vanish without warning.

So, starting today I'll begin moving threads from UserCreations into the appropriate sub/sub-sub (child/grandchild?) forum. Since I am no fan of leaving placeholders the threads will seem to have 'vanished', but just go looking for where you think they would go (the sub-forums all have good descriptions). Anything that might fit in two places I'll make my best guess on.

The end goal I think everyone will like - every sub-forum of the UserCreations section will have a directory thread to help people quickly find what they are looking for *before* posting the ever popular *does anyone know where...?" threads. They are ok but why make people hunt and search with little chance of success?

Everyone is welcome to PM me with, or post, comments/suggestions/critiques etc.

For Those Who Are About To Game... Use MAPTOOLS!

Al "Gamerdude" Beddow
Gamerdude&Azhrei wrote: UserCreations
-- Tileset Contributions/Discussions
-- Drop-In Resources
-- Campaign Frameworks
---- D&D 4e
---- D&D 3.5/PF
---- Shadowrun 4e
--Tutorials
----Graphics/images/tokens/maps
----Scripts & Macros
--Published Module Support
Al B. USAF RET.
*Chief Organizer and Bottle Washer - 'User Creations' Forum*

MT Framework Directory **LISTING** (UPDT 2012-02-10)

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Re: USER CONTRIBUTIONS - THE FOURTH AGE COMETH

Post by Gamerdude »

In going through all 24 pages of threads, I'm finding a large number of posts that I can't properly sort - they don't fit any category.

Before I put in another request for changes, I'd like to get feedback on what I'm thinking. I look forward to everyone's feedback, comments, and ideas.

Here is what I am thinking would be the simplest organization:
Proposed UserCreation SubForums wrote: User Creations
-- Tilesets, Token Libraries & Complete Maps
----Token Libraries
----Tile Sets/Graphics for Map Making
----Complete Maps

-- Drop-In Resources
-- Campaign Frameworks
---- D&D 4e
---- D&D 3.5/PF
---- Shadowrun 4th
--Tutorials
----Scripts & Macros
A description of each by forum level:

Top level forum
[USE CREATIONS]

Initial post looking for things not found in a sub-forum, general discussion of the basics.

Sub-Forums
[[TILESETS, TOKEN LIBRARIES, COMPLETED MAPS ]]

This sub-forum is for discussion of general things involved with making tile sets, tokens, 'looking for' things not found in either of the sub/sub-forums
[[DROP-IN RESOURCES]]
Scripts, toolkits, importing items into MT
[[TUTORIALS]]
Questions/discussion on topics not covered by the sub/sub-forum
[[PUBLISHED MODULE SUPPRT]]
This is for frameworks made for running specific modules that are commercially available (paid or free)

Sub/Sub-Forums
[[[< TOKEN LIBRARIES >]]]

Threads announcing/discussing *specific* tokens
[[[< TILE SETS/GRAPHICS FOR MAP MAKING >]]]
Threads announcing/discussing specific sets of graphics for making maps. Backgrounds, walls, furniture, etc.
[[[< COMPLETE MAPS >]]]
Providing and discussing completed maps, no frameworks
[[[< D&D 4E >]]]
Franeworks for running D&D 4th ed game with Maptools
[[[< D&D 3.5/PF >]]]
Franeworks for running D&D 3.5/Pathfinder ed games with Maptools
[[[< SHADOWRUN 4TH >]]]
Franeworks for running Shadowrun 4th ed games with Maptools
[[[< GRAPHICS/IMAGES/TOKENS/MAPS >]]]
Tutorials and questions about how to make graphic images to use in Maptools, and how to use them
[[[< SCRIPTS & MACROS >]]]
Tutorials and questions about how to make scripts and macros for us in Maptools, and how to install/use them

EDIT: 2011/11/29
Added "Completed Maps" Sub-Sub Forum
Al B. USAF RET.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Looks good to me. I do have one question: will the url references to the topics stay the same? I have created quite a few dropins and quite a few links to them, and I wouldn't be very happy if I need to track those all down and change them.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

wolph42 wrote:Looks good to me. I do have one question: will the url references to the topics stay the same? I have created quite a few dropins and quite a few links to them, and I wouldn't be very happy if I need to track those all down and change them.
Ok, as far as I know the URL's stay the same. If you have some particular threads you are worried about, IM me their titles/links and I'll be extra careful of them.
Al B. USAF RET.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Gamerdude wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Looks good to me. I do have one question: will the url references to the topics stay the same? I have created quite a few dropins and quite a few links to them, and I wouldn't be very happy if I need to track those all down and change them.
Ok, as far as I know the URL's stay the same. If you have some particular threads you are worried about, IM me their titles/links and I'll be extra careful of them.
Moving threads around will not change links. Most links include both f=# and p=#. The first identifies the forum and the second identifies a particular post (there's also t=# for a specific thread).

The post number overrides the others (it's the most specific) and only changes when a thread is split or merged. If the post number is invalid, then the thread number is used. And it won't change except for a split or merge. Last, if the post and thread numbers are both invalid, the forum number will be used and the user will be directed to the index page for the forum.

HTH.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

I just edited the top post, changing the sub-forum "TILESET &TOKEN LIBRARIES" to "TILESETS, TOKEN LIBRARIES, COMPLETED MAPS", and adding the sub-sub forum "Completed Maps"

Party On!
Al B. USAF RET.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

For anyone interested - here's what I sent to Azrhei:
Proposed UserCreation Forum Structure wrote: User Creations

-- Tilesets, Token Libraries & Complete MapsAC
For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games. This level for questions looking for particular types/styles of tokens and people starting threads not realizing it should be in a sub/sub-forum
----Token Libraries
Threads for tokens/libraries of tokens made by MT users and provided for other users to make use of. (this is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of tokens)
----Tile Sets/Graphics for Map Making
Threads for tile sets and background graphics made by MT users and provided for other users to make use of. (this is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map making tiles, objects, and backgrounds)
----Complete Maps
Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MT users and provided for other users to make use of. (this is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MT maps)
-- Drop-In Resources
Threads for drop-in resources such as tools, macros, scripts, character sheets made by MT users and provided for other users to make use of. (this is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to items that are forms, scripts, macros, etc but not full FWs)
-- Campaign Frameworks
---- D&D 4e
---- D&D 3.5/PF
---- Shadowrun 4th

--Tutorials
For teaching/step-by-step resources made by users to help other users learn all the various features of MT and making tokens etc. This level for questions, people starting threads not realizing it should be in a sub/sub-forum
Threads specific to teaching/step-by-step resources for making any kind of graphic image for use in MT.
----Scripts & Macros
Threads specific to teaching/step-by-step resources for writing scripts and macros for use in MT.
For Framework/graphics created to run specific published modules, such as any of the Paizo Pathfinder Adventure Paths
Al B. USAF RET.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Small note: Azrhei has been busy RL and had asked for some clarification. In addition for some reason the system doesn't think I should be allowed to move threads into certain sections (like into the Frameworks SubForum).

So until Azrehi gets some time to go through my permissions AND set up the new forums/descriptions the project is on hold. I know we'll be back in action relatively soon, but I didn't want anyone thinking it was dropped.

Thank you.
Al B. USAF RET.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I appreciate your "good information policy" :)

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

CoveredInFish wrote:I appreciate your "good information policy" :)

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Thank you, thank you and... as always.. tah-nk yew berrrry mooch!
Al B. USAF RET.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

**UPDATE** I heard from Azrhei - he's been quite ill and (rightly) the project is on the back burner until he gets well.

We've hit a problem with moving the threads to where they should be - I am blocked from moving them into a few of the sub-forums, particularly the "Drop-in Resources" and the main "Campaign Fileworks" threads. I'm still keeping the FW Directory up as best I can and Just wanted everyone to know the project didn't die a quick painful death.

Thanks
Al B. - "GamerDude"
Al B. USAF RET.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hey GD. I've pretty much recovered from that (still a little tired is all). I've looked at your permissions (the forums have an option for "Test XXX's Permissions") and I can see how the Move Topic doesn't seem to allow you to selected certain forums/subforums. I'm not sure why. I see that you are allowed to move threads to forums that you shouldn't be able to, so something strange is going on.

I've checked the groups you're a member of (just Registered Users like everyone else) and your individual forum permissions and moderator permissions... The only thing left is to just log into the database and scan for all references to your user id and see how they vary from one forum to another (sigh). For now I've copied the permissions from forums that are working over to the two you mentioned. They appear to work now so there are no more excuses from you!! :mrgreen: Just kidding, of course. :)

When I get back home this week I'll get the forums themselves reorganized.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Glad to hear you're feeling better (for the most part).

My permissions seem to be working now. Thank you for digging into this.

I'll be able to start work in a few days (have some conventions I have to submit my event schedule to first).

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a great game!
Al B. USAF RET.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

A belated happy holidays and a merry New Year to all.
Just a little update...

Of course everyone understands that we just spent 2 weeks having all sorts of fun with the various winter holidays and New Years, but I've managed to spend much of the last week sick. My wife realized how sick I was when, in response to her upset I wouldn't go out shopping, I said "honey I'm miserable - I feel so crappy I haven't even fired up the computer in over four days".

Instant "off the hook" for shopping (and at which point I rolled over and went to sleep ignoring our brand new 42" TV).

I'm on a little bit here and there pretty much just check e-mail then go lay down again but hopefully in the next week or so I'll be back up to speed so I can be at the computer long enough to get some things done - I haven't forgotten y'all and I remain determined to bust out all this crazy-mad organizational thingy.
Al B. USAF RET.

Return to “User Creations”