[Help]Framework Creation Help (with interest to Exalted 2.0)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

bigeshu
Kobold

[Help]Framework Creation Help (with interest to Exalted 2.0)

Post by bigeshu »

Well, I decided that it was my turn to try and be productive. So I was wondering if there were any framework tutorials available and what tools would be needed (I have NO programming background unless you count HTML). I'm very interested in creating an Exalted framework for use and was wondering if that's possible or if there's any work done on one.

I used the search function and only found a thread about initiative and an online battlewheel, which is a useful start. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Esheon
Giant

Re: Framework Creation Help (with interest to Exalted 2.0)

Post by Esheon »

If I'm remembering correctly, the Exalted system is similar to the World of Darkness system (though that might only apply to 1.0). If so, a good place to start would be the WoD FWs.

There's a lot of tutorials about using maptool, but I think it would be difficult to make a truly useful tutorial about building a FW. There's just too much to cover. Better to just search the forums and the wiki for examples of what you want to do.

My biggest suggestion (if you end up working from scratch)... Before you start coding, write up a list of what campaign properties you'll need (token properties, vision types, states, etc). Name the token props in a way that allows for drop-ins to work without messing up your stuff. For example, "be.Strength" rather than just "Strength". Getting all that planned out reduces the chance if you having to go back and edit 50 macros after changing/adding a property halfway through.

Check out these threads...
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19911
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19856

Look at other FWs, even if they're for different systems. You may find a way to adapt another game's code to work for your own.

Fiddle around with everything, don't be afraid to experiment. As long as you keep backup copies of your working files, you can just revert to an earlier working version if you screw something up too bad to fix.

JML
Dragon

Re: Framework Creation Help (with interest to Exalted 2.0)

Post by JML »

If you didn't already do it, you should really begin by looking at the "Introduction to macro…" tutorials in the wiki Main Page and browse other ones that you'll find in the Category:Tutorial. This should help you quite a bit when you'll take a look at what others did.

Return to “User Creations”