Maptool in old style

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Bhoritz
Giant

Maptool in old style

Post by Bhoritz »

I have tried to see if it was possible to use Maptool with an old style look. IMHO, it works quite well (and it is also quite easy to do). I have posted an explanation/tutorial here. There is also a cmpgn file at the end of the post, with a very small dungeon (complete with tokens, portraits,...).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Maptool in old style

Post by Azhrei »

Oh, that's kinda cool!

I see what you mean by "old style". The blue grid with sections missing reminds me of the Keep on the Borderlands D&D Basic module (was it Basic or Expert? I don't really remember).

I particularly like the hand-drawn tokens! Good job!

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Azhrei wrote:I particularly like the hand-drawn tokens! Good job!
Indeed. That is so cool!

I dare you to do a token set ;)

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

You can get alot of old style maps from Dysons Dodecahedron blog. If you make a tile set for the old style, you can use Wolph42's Dungeon Maker with it for auto maps.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

indeed a cool concept!
neofax wrote:You can get alot of old style maps from Dysons Dodecahedron blog. If you make a tile set for the old style, you can use Wolph42's Dungeon Maker with it for auto maps.
tilesets are certainly welcome, although I'm not entirely sure how well that would work with the dungeon builder (tilesets need to be 1x1 square and most aren't.) that, and it woulnd't be really old style that way now wouldn't it :wink:

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

Dyson maps were one of the things that gave me an itch to have a try at this style. It made me have a look at my old modules and magazines maps. I was surprised at how easy most of them could be turned easily into usable Maptool maps.

As it was one of the most fun things I have done for Maptool (certainly because of the very loose way to work: no pencils, no colors, no details...), I'll certainly make more of them (maybe a token and portraits set, maybe with maps, fantasy? pulps? scifi?...).

I don't know what, but I am certainly going to make more stuff in this style.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Bhoritz wrote:I don't know what, but I am certainly going to make more stuff in this style.
That is good new, sir. I SO DO like your rough and sketchy look you used in the examples you posted above.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

I think it'd be awesome if you could publish some map tiles in this style, similar to http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21677

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

Yes, that seems possible. At least, I can try.
Bone White wrote:I think it'd be awesome if you could publish some map tiles in this style, similar to http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21677

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There's an old school mapping tileset floating around here. I have it saved in a folder called "OldSkool-Too", but I can't seem to find it on the forums. All the files are dated July of 2008.

Ah, it belongs to Rumble and I found the info in this thread: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13983

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

CoveredInFish wrote:I dare you to do a token set ;)
I'll second that notion. :)

The tokens are pretty fun.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “User Creations”