Another DnD framework

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Another DnD framework

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Not really a framework, but my players wanted to play 5E so I put together a real simple set of macros. I think they are obvious.

http://www.4shared.com/file/NH-MeV7A/5E_campaign.html

Not saved here because WOTC are a***s, and well, you know.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Another DnD framework

Post by aliasmask »

I don't see anything specifically related to the Playtest, other than perhaps the stats of tokens, but those in themselves is not specific to the Playtest either.

I have some generic code here that can be used both for melee, range and spell attacks.

I actually use a modified version of 3.5 framework to handle most of the mechanics but the attack macro always rolls a second roll. It will color code if the rolls are a fumble or crit. Here are some screen shots:
/// SCREENSHOTS ///
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
As you can see, nothing is Next specific or even token specific. I did use variable "Level" in one of the examples to show how it is done.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Aliasmask,so does this post mean we can look forward to a 5e framework from you? I like the way that is setup,and with the second roll option it will incorporate advantage,disadvantage mechanics.I think the 5e framework will be easy to setup on core mechanics,however it seems that there might need to be several player token templates for properties to cover all the hybrid option that there going to be laying out in the future.I also have a question about a spell manager for this:could we just use Wrathgon's spell manager with some tweaks or should it just be rebuilt?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yes, it's very likely I'll make a full framework for 5e. So far I'm keeping it generic since the system isn't written in stone. I find Plothos's spell manager to be pretty solid and bug free. Plus, it has a built in versatility (now) that allows for varied output where things like DC rolls, skill checks (I just added this) or whatever can be done. I'm actually doing a small rewrite of it to make the interface more compact focusing on the abilities section where, for the playtest, I can add spells using the groups function for spell levels. I'm going to tweak the entries for code where the ' dance he does will be eliminated. Basically, you'll be able to treat the entries as straight macro code similar to how I do the @Effect in my attack macro.

I'm still mulling over how to handle the check system. I think how I do the attack macro will weigh heavily on how I do it. I think I'll have some most common options but you'll be able to add your own custom rolls. It will include a roll naming system, inclusion of background bonuses. So, you can make a search check with WisB + Perception or deduction roll with IntB + Insight to maybe find hidden things in a room. The Roll tool will also include a creation tool on another tab for quick specialized roll options. For the DM, he'll be able to make rolls or request rolls where a link is posted to the token's owners where rolls may or may not be automated (get user input or not, up to DM). I don't know all the possible mechanics yet, for example min 10 on roll (not take 10). So, I've given it some thought.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

I'm very much looking forward to a framework you create. The one I'm using now is very, very basic indeed. I'd like to see your changes to the Spell Manager.

For the check system, take a look at the check macro I posted in the other thread, based on your attack macro. I think I'll add one more checkbox, "Skill Focus", and I'll output something to chat when a skill die or skill focus is used.

That seems to me the simplest way of handling it.

Have you thought about how maneuvers and feats as well as class features should be represented?

Return to “User Creations”