MAPTOOL 1.3 Warhammer Fantasy / Generic Patch

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

joppino
Kobold

MAPTOOL 1.3 Warhammer Fantasy / Generic Patch

Post by joppino »

Hello,

I'm posting here my work for my Warhammer campaign. This showcase is made by two different videos which show off the various features I've put in my patches.

In the first video, I show the custom WEB interface I've made to handle my player characters and in-game handling.
The WEB interface is made by different sections and basically puts in all the work from liber fanatica.

In the top line you can access the various parts of the tool:
Player handling, where you can assign XP points and subtract fortune points to be used by the players. The total experience is recorded and the temporary XP points are shown here.
In the second tool, you can access the city creation, where you can generate whole cities with their main features, walls, inns, streets and so on.
The third tool lets you create inns and brothels in various sizes.
The fourth tool automatically generates the weather based on the current PC geographic position and time of the year: also generates the morrslieb appearances. It handles the training time for all the player characters and integrates with the maptool patch explained below.
Then, you have the inventory section, where all the items from the Old world armoury have been put in. This allows for searching and integrates with the maptool patch: the same items are shown in the inventory in-game, and if you create new items from maptool, they will be shown here.
Lastly, you have book shops creation where whole libraries can be randomly created with books described to the slightest detail, and the random name generator to help you rapidly create NPC names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofoy2v8 ... e=youtu.be

The second video is regarding the big maptool patch I have made. This is madeup by a big code revamp on the java side, and a campaign framework that integrates with it. The main features are:
1) Full combat handling. This means it takes account of all the talents and abilities the character has.
2) Full talent/ability handling and bonus
3) Full career list implemented
4) Special / Magic Weapon, Poison forgery
5) Partial Mutation list from Tome of Chaos
6) Full Spell list from EVERY Warhammer book implemented. This means that when the character learns a lore, you can list the spell he has and automate every roll and tzeentch curse effect.
7) Movement based on encumbrance and M characteristic
8) Temporary injuries and penalties implemented
9) Working difficult terrain layer: you can place it as you do with VBL and it can double or triple the movement cost on a certain section of the map
10) Of course all ranged weapon range is taken in account
11) Full character sheet with the resume of the current advancements, talents, skill, etc.
11) Full inventory system implemented. This is made on a maptool java level and integrates with the PHP interface for object listing. You have a search engine, tree-oriented inventory, you can create new items, clone them, give the items to other tokens, drop them, eat them, put them in containers, all via a drag & drop interface. This also takes encumbrance in account: when you give an object to a token, its encumbrance is recalculated and eventual movement penalties are applied. Look at the video for more detail.
12) Talent and skill learning - the player can select which talents and skills he wants to learn, and start practicing them. When the GM refreshed the current day, the training is done automatically on the player behalf. When the practice time is finished, the talent or skill is automatically added to the token.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1LiXNe ... e=youtu.be

J
Last edited by wolph42 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: MAPTOOL 1.3 Warhammer Fantasy / Generic Patch

Post by wolph42 »

This looks very good. I know your earlier contribution and you've brought it to the next level. I'm not sure im really happy with the java additions as most can be done with the tools given. Anyway, I would like to see the 2nd vid in normal speed. It s too fast.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Would you be be able to separate and itemize the details for the Generic Patch? And would you be submitting this to the dev team if they could include it to main MT build? And if they won't, could you still make available the patch for those who know how to patch MT? The new layer sounds very interesting for one. BTW, what MT build did you branch out from? They're working on the last iteration for 1.3, hope your patch applies to that easily. Great job, by the way :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Something that is game-specific is not likely to be an acceptable patch, unfortunately.

MT already has some game-specific stuff in it (like the drawing templates) and even that stuff will eventually be done through some type of plugin in the future.

(There are long and short reasons as to why, but my wife is calling me to dinner so it'll have to wait! :mrgreen:)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

:lol: enjoy your dinner Azhrei. I was referring to the generic parts implied in his title :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Do you have the code hosted somewhere? I would love to see the ways you implemented some of the stuff ti give us some inspiration for MapTool 1.4(or later) and/or the other tools/new tools. As Wolph noted, I would also really like to see video(or multiple if needed) with a much slower pace to the actions and either voice or text annotations as to your changes to the MT source code and how they translate to UI functionality.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Hello there!
Sorry, the video was indeed too fast, but it's youtube fault :-)
I would love to share my work - the showcase was made exactly for that. I can provide you a patch, I always comment out my code so it's easy to understand what does what. I forgot to mention in my last message the shared whiteboard (which the GM opens). It implements a RMI protocol to share a common whiteboard for all connected players.

I can try to make up a voice commented video on each java feature which I think is the only useful part for the maptool community. There is a problem tough, with my java additions for the inventory stuff (which I think is faster and more user friendly with the drag & drop feature than an inventory made up with the standard tools) requires the usage of a mySQL database - I think this can be refactored with java objects though. This is also needed to implement concurrent inventory editing - think for example about a party chest, where 10 players at once are putting and getting items in - this implementation takes care of it and the changes are instantly shared with all players.

I'm not a java programmer so I don't know every feature of the language - but I'm an old-style developer (C,C++, and so on) so I downloaded the code and tried to understand how it worked. So if you find some stuff in my code that isn't as clean as it should be, please be kind :-)

The movement layer is basically done with two additional layers similar to a VBL. Then, I use the starttokendrag and endtokendrag to handle the line color and available movement points. I also added the "action" stuff (the small hourglass) but this is useful only for warhammer i think. I set the states in the java code, hard-coding the state names "half action", "full action" and "running", a thing I think many of you wouldn't like to see - but my implementation was warhammer-oriented, so...But this can be refactored too. Please remind that my changes have been done for a face-to-face play, so I also cut down the player menu to just four items :-)

I think someone asked for a Warhammer fantasy battle framework too, well my FW also handle battles so if someone wants to use my work i'd be happy to share it (that's why I love open source).

I'll try to produce a patch and share it with you on monday (I have the code in my work pc).

Thanks all!
J

Daemon
Kobold

Post by Daemon »

Well, how did I miss this when I was digging around?!?

The speed of that video makes it difficult to tell exactly which edition of WFRP this is being used for, but I think it's 2nd... I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Joppino I'm wondering if there's any way I can get my hands on this amazing looking piece of work? I'm a little stunned as it looks like it covers the whole game. I'm especially impressed by what appears to be an interactive (for want of a better term) character sheet attached to each token, or is that being read from a library token or similar. I've just entered it all on the notes tab of each characters token, but to have access to this much automation would make life so easy. I notice that a fair bit seems to be in Italian, (I hope I'm right about the language) & some in English... do you have a purely English version?

I'm just about set to actually start playing WFRP2 either this week or next, it's been a fun learning process so far. Starting out with a simple encounter rescuing some villagers from a band of marauding goblins. That should be enough to use as a learning exercise for playing an RPG using the combination of MT & Ventrilo. Then I'm going to run The Oldenhaller Contract :) which I've completed the mapping etc for. But I'd be happy to delay things a bit if I could get my hands on more than just a basic set of macro's. Although that said... what do you really need for WFRP2? D10, D10+mod, D100 and D100+mod would cover everything if you were really pressed, it would be just like sitting around a table together, if a bit slower.

Cheers
Daemon.
And the hapless soldiers sigh,
Runs in blood down palace walls.
William Blake, London.

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Sorry, i had a bunch of problems lately. I Will provide a patch soon and send it here. Bye :)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Good to hear from you. I was wondering if something happened to you. Welcome back.

Return to “User Creations”