What about a random map generator using Geomorphs?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

xvaldetaro
Kobold

What about a random map generator using Geomorphs?

Post by xvaldetaro »

Hi people!

I am thinking about implementing a random map generator based on assembly of geomorphs. For those who never heard the word before, it is a piece of a map with side connections. These connections can be plugged to other geomorphs, generating a full map. http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/maps ... g-project/ offers a good explanation.

examples of geomorphs (Both downloaded from the community links, thanks Neyjour and Maxx):
morph ex1.jpg
morph ex1.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
morph ex2.jpg
morph ex2.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
The software shoud be basically a much more advanced version of this implementation:
http://davesmapper.com/

Dave's system is simple, it forces the users to create geomorphs with the same connections so that they always match. With all the images of the users, the system only randomize a tile for each spot on the map.

What i intend to create however, is a more flexible version of Dave's system. First of all i wish to distribute a desktop software, where the user is able to specify the tiles that he wants to use. Thus, the user can make use of all the awesome stuff made by the community (Maptool, dundjinni...). Additionally, i will create an algorithm that matches tiles with any different types of borders desired and the possible connections shall be specified by the user.

I came up with this because of my own needs when DMing, but i wanted to hear a bit from the community if this piece of software would be useful for other people.

I know that this is a lot of work to do, but i know i can do it. Just would need a lot of time (which i dont have) :(

Also hearing suggestions

Thanks guys!

Lee
Dragon

Re: What about a random map generator using Geomorphs?

Post by Lee »

Sorry if no one got around to reply yet, but I think I can speak for everyone and say that such projects are always useful to the community. So, pursue it to your hearts desire :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: What about a random map generator using Geomorphs?

Post by wolph42 »

ah, usually I reply to proposals for gifts from the community, especially new ones. And I remember wanting to do this, but something must have come up.

In short: yes this would be much appreciated!

Return to “User Creations”