Custom token state image problems

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Daelomin
Cave Troll

Custom token state image problems

Post by Daelomin »

Okay, so a weird (at least I think it's weird) problem has come up regarding Token state images that I've added to the campaign I'm currently working on, and I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm using b87 with the latest Imarkus DnD35/Pathfinder campaign setting and Wolph's BoT v16.

Basically, I noticed early on that when you add a mod to a token (i.e. Mage Armor, Bless, etc) it'll add a state image to the token so you get a visual representation of the mod that's on the token. Some pop up and are visible all the time, while others are only visible upon mouseover. I understand how to set this up in the Campaign Properties.

Anyway, I also noticed that there were no state images associated with a couple mods, such as Heroism and Shield. So, I got a couple suitable images for these states and Added them through the campaign properties, mimicing the already included Spell state images (like mage Armor). I then edited the mods for Shield and Heroism in the CF such that the dropdown for "Associate state image?" had the Heroism and Shield state images that I had added selected.

Because I prefer for the state images to be always visible, I edited all states under Campaign Preferences to be always on (unchecked the On mouseover box). I did some testing on a couple tokens and all the old states (Mage Armor, Bless, Aid etc) function as they should. I then tried out my new states and, lo and behold, they appeared to function as expected as well.

At this point I was working with a PC token. I then did some testing on NPC tokens, and this is where things got weird. All the old original CF states still functioned as expected on the NPC token, but when I added my new states onto the token, the token state image did not come on. However, after a lot of playing around, I discovered that if I hit the "Mod Report" button from the CF, then that would cause the state image to pop up on the token. Then, if I turned off the state by deactivating it via the Active Mods button (i.e. as if the spell ran out), then the state image would not disappear, and the only way to get rid of it was to double click on the token, go to the States tab, and uncheck the state in question (i.e. Shield).

I find it very odd that everything seems to function as it should for a PC token, but not for NPC tokens. Can anyone give me a hand in figuring this out?

Cheers

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Custom token state image problems

Post by wolph42 »

This sounds like an issue with pathfinder. Im not familiar with it but it sounds that the 'old' states are hard-coded into PF and when adding new ones the PF code does not do anything with them. So my guess is that you need to mod the PF code for it to work.

Daelomin
Cave Troll

Post by Daelomin »

But then why have the option to add custom states, and the ability to modify existing "mods" in adition to adding new ones, and assign state images to them? Doesn't make sense to give these options if the states are just hard coded. Also, this doesn't explain why it seems to work for PC tokens as opposed to NPC tokens....

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think some of the state data is saved on the token. If you "Edit Char" and clear all mods, you should be good. You can add all the custom states you like, but if you save token and then add to another campaign it may toss an error. Just clear all mods again to fix.

Daelomin
Cave Troll

Post by Daelomin »

darn, I was really hoping Alias' suggestion would work, but unfortunately it has not... I'm still getting the weirdness where they won't always come up when activated, and won't turn off when deactivated. It's not game-breaking or anything, but it's a nice little perk that I really wish was working properly. Make's the game have a nice Baldur's Gate feel to it, which I love.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

That should work, so it is probably something else. Perhaps is it your state name. Make sure it is "variable name friendly" with no spaces or special characters. It could be the original code uses one method for adding the state (like state.Dead) and the other method uses the other (setState("Dead")) and that's why there is the inconsistency. I add custom states and mods all the time so I know there shouldn't be an issue.

Daelomin
Cave Troll

Post by Daelomin »

@Alias Yea I already considered that after I ran into a problem with Wolph42's BoT canopy not working correctly because I had token names with commas in them, i.e. "Leucrotta, Mother" and "Leucrotta, Young".

It's not the case with these states though. In fact, like I said before, the framework "Mod" already exists for these states... they're the spells Heroism and Shield. All I've done is try to add a state image for these because one didn't exist for them before and I want an icon on the token for them when they're activated. So, when I go to Campaign Properties and add these states so I can associate an image with them, they're named simply "Heroism" and "Shield", which then appear in the dropdown list of selectable state images when I edit the Mod versions of the Heroism and Shield spell mods.

Return to “User Creations”