Basic Roleplaying System macros and campaign framework

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Link6746
Kobold

Basic Roleplaying System macros and campaign framework

Post by Link6746 »

I downloaded RPtools and noticed that one of my favorite systems (Basic Roleplaying) isn't supported by default, and upon checking the forums, the closest I could find was a CoC port. As maptool appears to be a better program than the one I was using before, which didn't include the ability to write macros or system bits, I'm wondering if anyone could rectify this. Is the scripting language versatile enough to handle all the optional rules being picked and chosen as variables?

JML
Dragon

Re: Basic Roleplaying System macros and campaign framework

Post by JML »

Link6746 wrote:Is the scripting language versatile enough to handle all the optional rules being picked and chosen as variables?
There's nothing you wont be able to do regarding rules implementation. The scripting language is thorough but most people find the learning curve a bit steep. If you didn't do it, the first step is to take a good look at the video tutorials to get a grip of the basics of MapTool (there). Then you've got the wiki and its main page (there: Main Page) where the Basic MapTool Use articles list is really helpful, especially the macro part if you feel like it.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Re: Basic Roleplaying System macros and campaign framework

Post by Simetradon »

I wrote a few hundred macros for Chaos 6010, and my players continually improve upon them. My macro-writing took about a week, and it's nowhere near as complete as some of the frameworks I've seen. I did manage to crank out a bunch of effect templates and token states, which you can find in another nearby thread. I have a few hundred tokens, but because they are taken from the work of other artists, I can't share those.

Generally, if you want something that isn't from one of the more popular games, you have to make it yourself. Maptools and Tokentool makes it possible.

Return to “User Creations”