Map: Ruined neighbourhood

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

meshon
Cave Troll

Map: Ruined neighbourhood

Post by meshon »

This is just a battlemap for Mordheim on MapTool. The full size is 4800x4800 pixels. The map was built rather hastily and so lacks some aesthetic consideration, but it might be useful for anyone looking to run a town combat.
...IMAGE...
Edit: I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach a thumbnail to this post, which is driving me crazy because I've done it before... a kind pat on the head and a push in the right direction would be appreciated!

cheers,
Meshon
Last edited by aliasmask on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed image link

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Map: Ruined neighbourhood

Post by CoveredInFish »

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing.

Do you play Mordheim with MT? Do you have a framework for that? I'd love it if you could throw me a link or something.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm curious as to how you drew the stone path pattern, less the detail work. The stones don't seem to have a repeating pattern but things are very smooth, aligned and consistently spaced. I think I could duplicate the flow and the spacing between rows, but the individual brick lengths would be tedious. I'm just curious about your method and tools used. I really like your mixture of textures for the ground as well.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

very cool map, indeed nice mixture of textures. The only critic I can give is that the roofs could use a bit more drop shadow so get better detached/lifted from the ground...but that's basically nitpicking.
Thank you for sharing!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Thanks for sharing.

Is there any way we can get a version without any text or numbers on it? I could use this in a campaign I'm running now.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

meshon
Cave Troll

Post by meshon »

Well, I feel sheepish. I posted this and then haven't checked back in ages. My apologies to those who asked for things.

I've uploaded a version of the map without the markers and text (I think I got it all), which you can find here. Sorry for not including a thumbnail, I just can't figure out how to get that to work to my satisfaction. It's probably too late for you to use, Full Bleed, and for that I am sorry. Maybe you can use it in something else?

Other than the streets and background, the map was really pieced together out of disparate bits, so it's not very uniform, but it does well enough for us to play Mordheim on it. I agree with wolph42 that it could use some work.

As far as the construction of the streets, I used Illustrator to lay out the roads with a brush that I built, allowing me to make the cobblestones follow a vector path. I made a tutorial and posted it over at the Cartographer's Guild, along with a link to download the brush. The tutorial is at http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutor ... orial.html. Maybe you can make some use of it.

And finally, Cif, yes we're playing Mordheim using MapTool, even though it's not 3D. The framework is one I put some time into for awhile but have stopped working on lately. It does many things that the game needs but not all of them. The Mordheim rules are full of exceptions and I've definitely had some challenges getting it this far. It's clunky, kind of slow, and pretty much requires the players to be connected through voice chat to make things easier (like negotiations over who has cover!). If, despite the disclaimer, you are still interested in looking at it, I will try to clean it up a bit (removing all my testing macros for example) and post it in the frameworks forum.

Again, sorry for missing these replies and questions for so long. Thanks for your interest!

cheers,
Meshon

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

meshon wrote:Well, I feel sheepish. I posted this and then haven't checked back in ages. My apologies to those who asked for things.

I've uploaded a version of the map without the markers and text (I think I got it all), which you can find here. Sorry for not including a thumbnail, I just can't figure out how to get that to work to my satisfaction. It's probably too late for you to use, Full Bleed, and for that I am sorry. Maybe you can use it in something else?
Fortunately, the group I was going to use this for went the other direction... and they will, eventually, be doubling back to where this can come into play. So I can still use it. ;)

You did miss a set of 4's in a circle in the top left, but I can handle removing that myself.

Thanks for putting this up.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

meshon wrote:And finally, Cif, yes we're playing Mordheim using MapTool, even though it's not 3D. The framework is one I put some time into for awhile but have stopped working on lately. It does many things that the game needs but not all of them. The Mordheim rules are full of exceptions and I've definitely had some challenges getting it this far. It's clunky, kind of slow, and pretty much requires the players to be connected through voice chat to make things easier (like negotiations over who has cover!). If, despite the disclaimer, you are still interested in looking at it, I will try to clean it up a bit (removing all my testing macros for example) and post it in the frameworks forum.
Yes, I'd be still interested. Voice Chat is no problem, I prefer that anyway. I'd be happy if you decide to release this, but in the end you have to feel fine with it, i'm okay either way.

Return to “User Creations”