[Drop-in] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2 (v1.5)

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

wolph42
Winter Wolph

[Drop-in] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2 (v1.5)

Post by wolph42 »

EDIT (23/nov/2015):

Version 1.5: compatible with b91 (VBL functions only work with b91+). Added Wyrframe's Shadow token walls/halls
Version 1.3.1: forgot to fix rotation of the 3 issue tiles.
Version 1.3: Did a full check of the VBL of ALL tiles. As it turned out tiles 38, 38a and 39 were incorrectly set up. So I redraw the VBL for these. They are now fixed.
Version 1.2: new tiles, all VBL sets are complete, a couple of debugs.
version 1.1: added pre-edit function to create rooms manually. Read the help inside for further instructions on use.

This is the result of a collaboration between Jamztheman (VBL part of the code, both MT and script, drawing all the VBL on the base-tiles), Probono (artist of the 6x6 tileset), Dorn (processing of the tileset) and myself (design of the tileset and the dungeon creation part of the DB code).

The project has now officially left the beta stage and should run smoothly (which does not guarantee a total absence of bugs, so please if you encounter any: post here).

This new dungeon builder has quite a bit of features, so I urge you to read the manual that goes with it. Basically it automatically creates dungeon AND draws the vision blocking layer (VBL) as well !!

Here's the download link

Note that the campaign and the auto VBL ONLY runs with MT b91 or higher. The best use is to create a dungeon in the builder, then export the map and import it in your own game.

If you want to use it as a drop-in so you can create dungeons during game: export the 'Dungeon Tiles' map and import it into your own game. We have however not tested this yet, so if there's any problem, please report. Basically the only things that can go wrong is that some macro refers to a variable property that is not defined in your game. This should not happen, but mistakes can be made...

The whole process to create one dungeon of 60x60 cells/squares/grid including VBL should not take more than 1 minute.

Here's an example of the result (click to enlarge):
screenshots habe been disabled by photobucket. will be a while before I get them back here

link to dunjinni forum

Anyone interested in creating (or completing) their own set: Here's a 'short tile creation manual'.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [Drop-In] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2

Post by JamzTheMan »

OK, so now who wants to add in a Random Monster generator to stock this baby with CR appropriate baddies? :)
-Jamz

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

This is hot!

Thanks guys.

Only (very minor) thing that comes to mind: there are tiles with pillars, do they/will they get a vbl cross?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:This is hot!

Thanks guys.

Only (very minor) thing that comes to mind: there are tiles with pillars, do they/will they get a vbl cross?
you want to join the project? I've just created a dropbox share with lee just pm me your dropbox email and ill send you an invite as well. Then you can simply update yourself.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Yeah, send me the invite. I cant promise any time on this but I will have a look (and while work is pretty dense right now there maybe a couple of hours anyway)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Yeah, send me the invite. I cant promise any time on this but I will have a look (and while work is pretty dense right now there maybe a couple of hours anyway)
can you pm me your dropbox linked email!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

To answer the pillar question, yes, most likely. I'm drawing the VBL by hand, so anything I think needs VBL I'm adding. I'm pretty much drawing VBL over all the dirt, so most pillars in the tileset are square. If there is "dirt" in the middle, then it gets a block of VBL, if its just walls, I draw a "cross". If you choose VBL option 3, it's pretty comprehensive...

You really have to try it out. I was having so much fun with the random generator, I kept generating dungeon after dungeon :) I want to use it during game, well, just to use it lol

Wolf, have you thought about allowing some "shapes" other than square for dungeons? I don't think I would want anything complicated, but maybe options to do a L shape, + shape, and Hollow Square could produce some neat things. Or even better maybe, allow a starting point on the map? Using something like "centerOnMePad" would be great, just drag the token and it generates a dungeon using that as the upper left corner. Then you could easily do L or C shapes, etc. Bonus if it connects to previous tiles (changing where nessecary).
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

THe upper left corner at selects token is already implemented. Just select a token. As for other shapes... No clue. I have little experience with dungeon builders. The only reason why this works is cause the set is limited and thus you only have to check that a hall does not end in a wall. Well... And some extra stuff but that's basically it. I guess you could add other parameters like stairs. To give an idea how it works. Every cardinal point can have 3 states 0,1 and x. 0=wall, 1=hall, x=random. Adding a parameter eg '2' is possible but will increase complexity. Adding extra shapes... I think that's REALLY difficult given how it currently works.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

No problem, if we can build, say a 30x60, then select a tile half way down on the right and build a 30x30 then we can manually create shapes, and then just manually connect them.

How hard would it be to place token on the tiles? I was thinking, if you could drag/place a variety of token and select them, it could copy and place them in clumps?

ie You want Bugbears, Kobolds, & Owlbears. Based on CR, there would be lots of Kobolds, several Bugbears and only a few Owlbears. Also, we know Bugbears are generally solitary, pair, or gang (3–6), Kobolds are generally solitary or gang (2–4), and Owlbears solitary, pair, or pack (3–8). So I could randomize those numbers, the question would be how hard to properly place them on tiles so they are not in walls an within LOS of each other.

Just thinking out loud and of course this is DnD specific example but...
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ah you meant the entire dungeon in L shape. I guess thats possible. I was already thinking of some external dungeon editor for shapes. Any case the trick now is that the 'layout' for eg a 4x4 dungeon starts out like this

0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0

well, its a bit more complex than that but it shows roughly how it works

so i guess you could do e.g.
0XXXX00000
0XXXX00000
0XXXXXXXX0
0XXXXXXXX0
which would result in L shape. But on the whole as you said, with the 'select token == upper left' you can build any shape you like and its much easier to do than starting to work with data shapes like the above.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ya, the "using a token to set location" seemed the easiest way. Being able to select general shapes would allow for better connectivity but all in all it's pretty cool as it is.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

@Jamz:
I'm back from Aruba, had another look at the builder and adjusted some code. currently the VBL is now also stored ON the token, so the lib:token retrieval is no longer a bottleneck. The biggest bottle neck currently is the x/y adjustment of the VBL. I understood that you had some new code where you offloaded this to java. Is this already implemented in the last nerps version or not? And if so, can you adjust the macro function such that it makes use of that new function?

edit:
started a brainstorm here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23765
and just realised, while looking at this:
Spoiler
Untitled picture.jpg
Untitled picture.jpg (163.33 KiB) Viewed 28747 times
that with these more complexer tiles you actually need even more for the assymetrical ones. In other words they also need to be able to be flipped (either horizontally or vertically)... this can be done manually in the DB-er but it might be nice if this could be done automatically... this however requires once more, more functionality...: flip() (since you can set the facing, you only need to flip them horizontally) AND VBL function need to be 'aware' of this. although of the latter im not so certain whether that will be easy.... thoughts?

you'll need to check, but the manual variant (given the fact that all 36 tiles exist) would require to flip tiles: 5,9,10,11,15,17,20,22,23,26,28,29,32 so 13 tiles in total.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Welcome back! Hope you had a grand time!

Re: java method, no, not at this time as I wanted to see if it was going to be included and if not then this would require my custom JAR. I will look into maybe setting it as flag, though, we will need to store the other VBL as well. The code is in the other test campaign file in drop box if you want to test with new lib function to see if it makes a difference. It may be a few days before i can do it myself.

Note, i added a debug flag to ignore the bbl saved on the tile and re-save it so I could test/change the vbl so make sure it is set to 0.

Re: flipping, that could be difficult even if there is a isFlipped(). Is there a macro to tell if it is flipped?

It might require creating flipped versions for the few tiles that need it, obviously not every tile would need to be flipped, or rather wouldn't produce a different tile as far as exits go.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote:Welcome back! Hope you had a grand time!

Re: java method, no, not at this time as I wanted to see if it was going to be included and if not then this would require my custom JAR. I will look into maybe setting it as flag, though, we will need to store the other VBL as well. The code is in the other test campaign file in drop box if you want to test with new lib function to see if it makes a difference. It may be a few days before i can do it myself.

Note, i added a debug flag to ignore the bbl saved on the tile and re-save it so I could test/change the vbl so make sure it is set to 0.

Re: flipping, that could be difficult even if there is a isFlipped(). Is there a macro to tell if it is flipped?

It might require creating flipped versions for the few tiles that need it, obviously not every tile would need to be flipped, or rather wouldn't produce a different tile as far as exits go.
I certainly had a great time!
for this week i'll not be doing any coding as I have a major program to organise for work at the end of the week and a big game on saturday... thus all energy will go into that. I will however be brainstorming/discussing on the forum for new ideas.
What 'new lib function' are you referring at?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Re: lib function, I was talking about the new method of reading the VBl from the tile instead of the library.
-Jamz

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”