Dungeon Builder 2 is ready for testing

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Dungeon Builder 2 is ready for testing

Post by wolph42 »

EDIT: DBII IS DONE!!: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 43#p241443

We've (nearly) finalised Dungeon builder 2. Here a link to the test version to check it out.

You will need a special version of b89 which you can download from jamztheman's signature.

The program randomly creates a dungeon out of 6x6 tiles, has an editor, tileswap macro, and the option to apply 3 different types of VBL.

Feedback is welcome!

nolgroth
Dragon

Re: Dungeon Builder 2 is ready for testing

Post by nolgroth »

Initial response: This is frickin' awesome!

After toying around with it, I noticed an oddity or two. There are some maps that are created with inaccessible rooms, meaning that a room is surrounded by walls but has no doors or access points. I can rotate/flip those tiles around and I presume I can copy a tile from another map and paste it in, so no real problem there. Oh and I just noticed the Swap Tile macro. Works nicely.

When I try to create a New Dungeon, I get the following message;

Code: Select all

Error in body of roll.
       Statement options (if any): h,macro("editDungeon@Lib:VBL_DungeonTiles")       Statement Body : ""
I can still run the Create Random Map button fine.

The process is fast. Longest map took ~4 seconds.

How does this work with integrating another framework, say Rumble's Veggie's or Deviant Null's?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Given that you have to have all the tiles in the campaign, and it's now around 18mb. I would keep this separate.

Just create your random dungeon, set the VBL, then export the map. It should import into any other campaign just fine.

Regarding the rooms, ya, it's going to happen with random generators. And you may or may not want this. (Maybe it's a secret room) or just delete it. You can lessen it by changing the percentage of corridors on the first prompt.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

For the closed of sections I created the editor with the color codes so you can quickly see and edit the connections.

I'm aware of the new dungeon bug and it's already fixed in our dev version.

Thanks for the feedback.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Speaking of the editor. Is it possible and realtively easy to show the tile if you clicked the middle color coded section? In normal web page you could do this on hover but don't think that's possible with our limited HTML. Wasn't sure if another dialog/popup is feasable using a macrolink.

Just a thought, probably not worth the effort and thinking outloud.
-Jamz

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

JamzTheMan: Thanks for the tip about exporting the map. I see a good tactic, as GM, is to export about five of these as impromptu dungeon maps. As I use them, I can create more later to keep my reserve intact.

Also, I will play around with the corridors setting to see how that affects the rooms with no access.

Wolph42: I'll have to learn the color coding element. I saw the different colors, but have no idea how to read them.

Happy to provide feedback for this. It is a great idea and such a convenience. Before, for a random dungeon map, I would use Donjon or some other map generator along with Gimp. This simplifies and speeds up the process, freeing my mind for the more important tasks of encounter creation and storytelling.

Thanks for making such an awesome resource. Every single GM that has ever needed a random dungeon for "one of those nights" need look no further. This can handle it. Since the tiles are right there, you can even hand craft a dungeon. Takes longer, sure, but for those control mongers, they get the best of both worlds.

If I find anything else while playing with it, I will provide more feedback.

Cheers!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I thought I added a legend but apparently I forgot. IRC: white is well connected, red is no connection at all
white - light yellow - dark yellow - orange - red

@Jamz: showing the tile when clicking the centre... yes its possible (i think), no its relatively insanely difficult to program...
in short: when clicked youll need a processor macro which recalls the same form but then with a new parameter. This should call for the pic which should fit inside the designated table (which currently is fully automatically build...)

I guess what *is* doable is show that tile image e.g. below the editor or maybe a seperate pop-up.... yes the latter would be the easiest.

keep in mind that you can 'submit' the dungeon, then it gets build, have a look at it, edit it some more in the frame, submit again, rinse and repeat. So you *can* create a visual of the dungeon while editing.
I've done it several times now (just implemented the caves) and its a bit getting use to but I find it fairly easy to connect the caves using the editor while looking at the resulting dungeon

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

@nolgroth, thanks for the feedback. Have you tried the VBL as well? Also, from a GM perspective, if I needed one, I might generate a handful and export them out and only import them if I find the need. Or generate one on the fly by launching a second instance of MT, load DB, generate, export, close, import into current campaign. That way you don't have to interupt your current campaign/server.

Of course, if you need them often, you can do it. You just need the one map (SnapToGrid IIRC) and a couple of LIB tokens (which should be on the same map but could be duplicate libs).

Also, I have released (and need to update) my VBL tile lib token as a separate drop-in. If you add that to your campaign and you manually create a map using these tiles, it will draw the VBL for you as well.

@Wolf, on second thought, ya, showing the tile on the top or bottom or elsewhere would be just as good or better so it didn't expand the table cells of checkmarks and make that look crazy for the one col/row.

Or heck, maybe just a row or two of tiles at the bottom with your color code dot with the tile below it (or color code dot on center of tile). Then you see the color code, look, see a sample tile and go "oh, a T" or "oh that crazy tile". Of course it wouldn't represent all possible tiles, just the same info you currently are trying to show.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

couple of things

- vbl works! its a pc / local related thing
- seperate tile systems now work, Ive created a seperate tile set for the caves (cardinal ONLY !!) and that works, both the database builder and the occurance editor
- fixed couple of small bugs
- doors might take some time for they *really* work. It already was a pain to get the rotation right, but now to keep everything working with the bot... note that without the BoT you *can* setup the doors. I guess for now thats the best way: add doors to tiles without any setup, then build dungeon, then use bot to set the doors up.
- sample tiles for the color codes... ill have a look

edit: legend added (no tiles as it would require map swapping, slowing the lot down: you'll need access to the images which are not on the map during the editing process...)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cool beans! Work has been crazy so haven't had a chance to look at it fully.

For the legend, can we create a table with the tiles needed? (using a smaller image size)

I need to make a bat cave map now :)
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JamzTheMan wrote: For the legend, can we create a table with the tiles needed? (using a smaller image size)
you really really really want some tile images in there don't ya?

ok I think I'm done. I did some idiot proofing with a couple of macro, upgraded the link doors to tiles (so you can now do the entire map at once) and removed the doors stuff entirely (the BoT part that is) as its one big disaster waiting to happen. Basically this is the structure I would need to 'correct' when a tile is dumped somewhere with some angle:
Spoiler
switchId=DoorLeverToken 3 ;
openMethod=0 ;
doubleDoor=0 ;
description=Front Door ;
closedAngle=0 ;
currentVBLAngle=270 ;
openAngle=160 ;
openDistance=50 ;
animateTime=2000 ;
withSwitch=1 ;
proximity=0 ;
drawVBL=0 ;
windowVBL=0 ;
keyholeVBL=0 ;
crackVBL=0 ;
halfVBL=0 ;
fullVBL=0 ;
stepSize=0.08 ;
crackStepSize=0.005 ;
halfStepSize=0.0225 ;
doubleDoorParam=90 ;
totalOpenAngle=160 ;
crackOpenAngle=10 ;
halfOpenAngle=45 ;
closedDoorX=2049 ;
closedDoorY=601 ;
openDoorX=0 ;
openDoorY=0 ;
crackOpenDoorX=0 ;
crackOpenDoorY=0 ;
halfOpenDoorX=0 ;
halfOpenDoorY=0 ;
xDirection=0 ;
and thats just not gonna happen. So! you can place doors on tiles, they will get transported and rotated correctly with the tile, but thats it. BoT functionality you can add AFTER you created the dungeon.

ah there's one thing left: I wanted to add the rails as well, but was missing a tile. I created that one but im currently behind the pc with the 'local' issue so I can't add it to the db.

and after some hours of work I figured that there was quite a bit left to do and there still is, but need other pc for that.
in summary of what I've done now:
- clean up
- debug
- idiot proofing
- remember settings
- remove tiles from database
- cleaned up debug (all have now a variable at the top)
- written an help form.
- added a todo list in the lib. (also for Jamz)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Rock and rollin' this week eh? I'm warm on the tiles for legend. It would be nice but bottom on the list, especially since there's still a lot of other stuff to do.

Still can't get home from work at a decent time to even look at this stuff this week :(
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Well I'm close to done by now. I had a couple of things which I just finished. Few bugs ironed out so I released a new version.

Return to “User Creations”