Sound Tokens - Got it working, but needs a little work

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

RevenantBob
Cave Troll

Sound Tokens - Got it working, but needs a little work

Post by RevenantBob »

Maptool Music Resource Library!

Not sure if people are interested in this, but I got maptool resource folders for midi and mp3 files so players/GMs can drag sounds onto the map and play them for everyone.

If people are interested I'll post it here when I fix two issues.

1) The Java I'm using for MP3 playing doesn't seem to support over 128kbps which is annoying for some
2) MIDI Volume setting doesn't work just yet.

How does it work behind the scenes?

I set out two days ago to implement this. Essentially maptool transfers files regardless of file type. It was just a matter of reading the first 4 bytes of the file to identify it as a mp3 or midi and then placing a replacement icon (Speaker) in it's place.

Then adding a menu option to look for these file types and allow playing. Setting up code to transfer the action from client/server, etc. Whoala!

Shot Below is GM and me toying with it.
Large image
Last edited by Azhrei on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added spoiler tag to large image

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Sound Tokens - Got it working, but needs a little work

Post by aliasmask »

Very cool. Is the default to loop music? What would be really useful is to make some macro functions to play and stop music. That way the GM can play for players using a macro link in chat.

RevenantBob
Cave Troll

Post by RevenantBob »

The GM does play for people. When you hit play, it plays for everyone. Stop does a stop for everyone.

There'll be enhancements once I get these two issues fixed then I can put it out for people.

RevenantBob
Cave Troll

Post by RevenantBob »

wolph42 wrote:Hi, I'm Definately interested. I'm also curious how your work relates to this : http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24085
Looks like he is using a script functionality to download sound from a webserver and play locally.

My modification is that sound becomes distributed like tokens (GM/Players simply drag them on the map) and they are transferred to everyone, stored in the maptool cache folder in the user directory and played and stopped by a server command message. It has nothing to do with the scripting system at all.

Adding scripting functionality to play and stop music from tokens is definitely something I'd like to do as well. I have a bunch of features I'd actually like to implement in maptool, but I'm starting with a few that have enhanced our own experiences.

Some features I've considered are:

1. Map tinting/shading in general to allow things like day/night transitions and what not.
2. More triggers for scripts. The oncampaignload is nice, but quite a few more triggers would aid maptool tremendously.
3. Letting people move a token that is only partially covered by fog of war. (This annoys my players primarily. The snap to grid with a speck of fog will make their token undraggable).

And so on...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RevenantBob wrote:
2. More triggers for scripts. The oncampaignload is nice, but quite a few more triggers would aid maptool tremendously.
Such as? ie, what specifically would you want to "automate"(I personally have my own list, that I will get around to at some point, but want to hear your ideas)
RevenantBob wrote:
3. Letting people move a token that is only partially covered by fog of war. (This annoys my players primarily. The snap to grid with a speck of fog will make their token undraggable).
ugh... yea.. I can't see an easy way(easy as in quick to code and foolproof in a number of scenariods) to do this without opening up the possibility of allowing them to move INTO solid FOW and then being unable to retrieve their token(ie, is it more grief for the GM to "fix" this scenario vs the current scenario... it really depends upon the players and how mature and intelligent they are during play).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RevenantBob wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Hi, I'm Definately interested. I'm also curious how your work relates to this : http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24085
Looks like he is using a script functionality to download sound from a webserver and play locally.

My modification is that sound becomes distributed like tokens (GM/Players simply drag them on the map) and they are transferred to everyone, stored in the maptool cache folder in the user directory and played and stopped by a server command message. It has nothing to do with the scripting system at all.

Adding scripting functionality to play and stop music from tokens is definitely something I'd like to do as well. I have a bunch of features I'd actually like to implement in maptool, but I'm starting with a few that have enhanced our own experiences.

Some features I've considered are:

1. Map tinting/shading in general to allow things like day/night transitions and what not.

And so on...
Ok. Do you have anything to test yet? I'm curious how it works. Overall I like your drag n drop over the caching method as it stays true to the mt way. However the added scripts that LA crated are very useful especially as you can tie them onto a script.

Also does your audio play in a seperate thread or does it 'block' everything untils the sound is finished?

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

This sounds very awesome I was tempted by someone elses work with Maptools to get music/sounds to play through Maptools though I required files and a server. This seems like a better alternative to that.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

:shock:

This is relevant to my interests.

Volomon
Cave Troll

Post by Volomon »

No progress or is this dead?

raazorfiend
Kobold

Post by raazorfiend »

THIS is an AWESOME idia! - I use music and sounds all the time when doing normal P&P sessions.
I usually make a cd or playlist in advance to improve atmosphere - and REALLY miss this funksion in maptools!

Tell me this is not dead!

raazorfiend
Kobold

Post by raazorfiend »

I´d love to see this work, please update!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

This looks pretty cool. I don't use sounds in my games at the moment, but this looks good enough to make me start. :)

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

Yeah, that's the stuff I'm looking for.

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

Do want! If only this was updated :'(

I've been looking for something like this for a LONG time now...if only...

Return to “User Creations”