Configure your own starship deckplans from chambers?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

gamerprinter
Giant

Configure your own starship deckplans from chambers?

Post by gamerprinter »

I don't always have the best of luck working with starship deckplans, and it's also always impossible to please everyone for starship deckplan needs. So here's a thought create multiple versions of necessary areas within a starship as independant chambers you can select and configure into your own deckplan design. Chambers like: bridges, galleys, medical bays, cargo holds, engineering sections, crew quarters, gun emplacement pods, etc.

Although I haven't made all the various secions in multiple versions, I had just started by creating 2 different chambers, when that thought struck me.

This is what started onto this idea:

Thoughts?
Gamer Printshop
World's first RPG Map Print-on-Demand service, we print maps for gamers and game masters!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Configure your own starship deckplans from chambers?

Post by aliasmask »

It's a good idea. When watching a movie, they don't give you the detailed plans of a ship but rather locations to interact in.

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

It seems I could do the same for starbases, more than one version of base operations, base engineering, hydroponics pod, science labs, dockyards, storage facilities, etc.
Gamer Printshop
World's first RPG Map Print-on-Demand service, we print maps for gamers and game masters!

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

It looks like the way to go. What you did is real quality. Can't wait for what will come next. Would you distribute and how ?

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

JML wrote:It looks like the way to go. What you did is real quality. Can't wait for what will come next. Would you distribute and how ?
Thanks sir!

Right now I'm thinking of either including these starship tiles as part of the 250 map object set included as part of the 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Book Kickstarter (see Links and Resources Forum). However, it might serve better as a stand-alone sci-fi map object set with 100 or more objects. I think I can come up with 30 - 40 starship chamber tiles (probably more if I really think about it), but I could also include starbase tiles and individual map objects for weapons, vehicles, cargo and many other things.

5Note: the Kickstarter has 5 days to fund, and we've got 2 more stretch goal we'd like to try to get to. However, the first 2 guides focused on photo-realistic mapping as in the tiles above, and a hand-drawn map tutorials guide are all unlocked and funded. The next hoped for guide book is Using 3D Elements in Mapping Tutorial Guide, and I have to admit to using lots of 3D work in sci-fi mapping.
Gamer Printshop

Toby
Giant

Post by Toby »

I have been using the modules from the Argos and Invictus maps from Ki Ryn Studios Future Armada (#s 10 and 11) to make everything from my own space stations to sci-fi office buildings. I converted the PDFs to PNGs and they are already set for 150px to 1 square. In my maps I want 100px per square, which is good for me because each square is supposed to represent 5 feet or about 1.5 meters and I'm using a 1m per square grid.

Toby

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

gamerprinter wrote:Right now I'm thinking of either including these starship tiles as part of the 250 map object set included as part of the 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Book Kickstarter (see Links and Resources Forum). However, it might serve better as a stand-alone sci-fi map object set with 100 or more objects. I think I can come up with 30 - 40 starship chamber tiles (probably more if I really think about it), but I could also include starbase tiles and individual map objects for weapons, vehicles, cargo and many other things.
I would find separating SF stuff from a more general purpose bundle more handy, but that's just my own interest :D
gamerprinter wrote:Note: the Kickstarter has 5 days to fund, and we've got 2 more stretch goal we'd like to try to get to. However, the first 2 guides focused on photo-realistic mapping as in the tiles above, and a hand-drawn map tutorials guide are all unlocked and funded. The next hoped for guide book is Using 3D Elements in Mapping Tutorial Guide, and I have to admit to using lots of 3D work in sci-fi mapping.
Sadly I can't put money into this by now, but I will stay tuned.
Toby wrote:I have been using the modules from the Argos and Invictus maps from Ki Ryn Studios Future Armada (#s 10 and 11) to make everything from my own space stations to sci-fi office buildings.
I didn't know those. Really interesting material. Thanks Toby.

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

Some more modules: a general crew quarters, 2 versions of medical bays, and some map objects.

Gamer Printshop

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Very cool. My desire to do some classic Traveller has been building for a while.

I note with some sadness that the crew only get single beds :(

j/k :)

Return to “User Creations”