Tileset - Shady Walls

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Re: Tileset - Shady Walls

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42: how do these look? 6x6, tiles #s 2,3,4,18,24,36,54,64 as per http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... tled-1.jpg
Spoiler
If those look good, I'll crank out the other 43 within the next week or two.

I'm sure there are prettier tile sets, but I made these tiles specifically to make it easy to re-flavour or re-decorate tiles to not be so "locked in" in appearance and flavour. If that sounds like a good idea to you, too, then I'm fine with putting the work in to get this set finished.

I'll try to provide variants of some tiles (especially as regards the middle 2x2 area; wall and floor variants, where the modelling isn't too tricky; tile #18 and #24 especially could use open/closed variants, not just the "closed" I've modelled thus far). And I'll provide the Blender source file when I'm done, so it can be expanded upon by others.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I want to do a thorough check, which requires time, which I dint have today. I hope.to have a look at them tomorrow

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42; http://www.moonshotsoftware.org/DnD/6x6tiles.7z

README inside. Let me know.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Wyrframe wrote:wolph42; http://www.moonshotsoftware.org/DnD/6x6tiles.7z

README inside. Let me know.
you have an interesting definition of 'next week or two' :shock:

Thank your for your swift work. This will require some time to test as they need to be renumbered (if I understand your readme correctly) and then the VBL needs to be added, stored and tested.
Same with your base sets which I still need to check out.

Anyway if I get everything to work I'll probly ask you to do some 'centre tile' variations with a couple of tiles. This current set already though will allow great variation, thanks!!

edit: If these are created automatically, is it possible for you to create a 1200x1200 pixels version of these tiles? We will ask Dorpond to add them to the MT resources and in that case its nice if there are at least 3 different gridsize versions: 50, 100 and 200. Which translates for a 6x6 tile in 300x300px, 600x600px and 1200x1200px. Its however very easy to downscale an entire set in PS so if we have the highest res. we can downscale to the other two resolutions. (we could of course also upscale but there would be great loss in quality).

In the mean time I've checked the set, I already did the renaming and although the numbers did not align, you did use the 'correct' order so with BRU that was easily solved. Your set appears to be correct and complete. Now the testing.

note that I thus already have the 300px and 600px versions!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok I've added the set and did the snap2grid VBL to test them. This is the result:
example Shady Walls in DB2
Example Shady Walls DB2.jpg
Example Shady Walls DB2.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
Some remarks
- I intentionally used a gray background to see how this works out and I noticed a slight discoloration near the edges of the tile. This is unnoticeable however when using textures. I just though I should mention it.
- What you've created is quite an 'open' set with more corridors then walls. Especially the diagonal walls, which certainly give this set a nice flavour are not really necessary as you can see from this example.

In all though: it works!! Thanks!

There's still quite some work left to complete everything for release. Including adding the different 'base' sets you created as well.

edit:
tested the 'chambers' as well, but that really doesn't work. So those are removed. Next stop were 'rocky walls' which is a 5x5 set which I've never tested, but to my surprise...
example rocky
example rocky.jpg
example rocky.jpg (144.53 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42; http://moonshotsoftware.org/DnD/[email protected]

In addition to re-rendering at 200dpi, I also corrected a wall alignment error on tile #55 (by your indexing; dmap0041 by mine), so you'll want to generate 100 and 50dpi versions of that specific tile from the 200dpi version, and not use the 100dpi version you already have.

The discoloration; you're referring to the slightly "brighter" areas at the edges of each tile? Not really avoidable. Lights are arranged in a 3x3 grid over the tiles, to make sure that lighting matches up from one tile to another while still providing ambient occlusion and shadowing on the ground. If there's anywhere that very much doesn't line up that I've missed, let me know. The artifacts disappearing when over any sort of noise (i.e. a texture image) is by design. :)

Otherwise, looks good. I'm glad it works.

P.S. could I see a screenshot of how the "chambers" base set generation came out? I'm curious what didn't work. Or was it just not aesthetically pleasing?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Code: Select all

P.S. could I see a screenshot of how the "chambers" base set generation came out? I'm curious what didn't work. Or was it just not aesthetically pleasing?
the DB 'scans' the tokens based on their VBL and then classifies them. As here the VBL is 'inverted' that doesn't work. Basically it are a few tokens from the 'full' set, but they do not represent the 'base' group. What I could do is invert the VBL on them and then classify them, but then the VBL part of the builder would not work as the 'space' would be filled with vbl and the walls not. Hence its not working.

the discolouration is really no biggie, it only shows with smooth background like in the example.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42 wrote:'tile 55' is that your numbering or mine?
wyrframe wrote:... I also corrected a wall alignment error on tile #55 (by your indexing; dmap0041 by mine) ...
Given that my numbering goes 0 to 50... :D

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42 wrote:...the DB 'scans' the tokens based on their VBL and then classifies them...
Ah; I didn't know the VBL was queryable, so I never even considered that might be how tiles were being classified. 'k, no problem.

I think the original "Shady Walls 5x5" tiles linked in the original post are still sound for hand layout, so I'll leave them up (and after I add a few more varieties and combinations, will eventually submit them for inclusion; I won't be able to render 50dpi and 200dpi versions of those, tiles, however, as many of them required complex post-processing).

Separately from that, this "Shady Catacombs 6x6" tileset being provided for the dungeon builder is, pending your approval and testing, ready for use and publishing.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Wyrframe wrote:
wolph42 wrote:'tile 55' is that your numbering or mine?
wyrframe wrote:... I also corrected a wall alignment error on tile #55 (by your indexing; dmap0041 by mine) ...
Given that my numbering goes 0 to 50... :D
I already deleted my post... what is the error by the way, I don't see anything.

by the way, shall I ask dorpond to make your tiles available as resource in MT? He has access to my dropbox so I can arrange them for the DB and then leave them for him. If you like I could give you access as well so you can add additional tiles on your own volition.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Look at the dead-end exiting north; the walls are supposed to lean "into" the open space so that the black walltops line up exactly with grid vertices. The back wall of that dead-end had the walls leaning out of the open space. In the demo you posted, you can see this at sixth-from-right, third-from-bottom; how the VBL covers that section of wall, because it's on the wrong side of the gridline.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

wolph42 wrote:If you like I could give you access as well so you can add additional tiles on your own volition.
Please. I have Dropbox; just share the folder to "tiogshi at Google's popular mail service".

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Wyrframe wrote:
wolph42 wrote:If you like I could give you access as well so you can add additional tiles on your own volition.
Please. I have Dropbox; just share the folder to "tiogshi at Google's popular mail service".
done. btw, its 600Mb ! just so you know.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Post by Wyrframe »

Bump; the 5x5 Shady Walls and 6x6 Shady Halls packs are now available as standard resources, in the "Add Resource to Library" menu in MapTool. Big thanks to Wolph42 and Dorpond for bottling my art for wholesale distribution!

Return to “User Creations”