Damage Levels Plugin for MapTool-1.3.b89.Plugin_Support.R4

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Re: Damage Levels Plugin for MapTool-1.3.b89.Plugin_Support.

Post by Lord.Ashes »

CoveredInFish wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:Wiki: broadcast() is one of the most poorly documented functions in MT... and, oddly enough, probably one of the most useful.
While the wiki page lacks examples I wonder what you miss in the doc. For me it feels like everything important is there .. but then I added broadcast() to MT. I dont even feel the need for examples :-D Never let the coder write the manual :D
In my case it was the broadcast description...it was the fact that I read through the functions so many times and never clued in (i.e. never actually clicked on broadcast to read about) that broadcast could be useful. But that was a mistake on my part...not the documentation.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

wolph42 wrote:yes broadcast is very usefull and very powerfull. its also the one command which can be used to execute macro on other clients. just broadcast an execlink to another client and it runs there instantly.
Hmmm...interesting...is there any defense against this? With my Plugin System you always have the option not to install a plugin if you think someone might abuse it...Is there a way to prevent abuse of broadcasts of execlink?
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Lord.Ashes wrote:
wolph42 wrote:yes broadcast is very usefull and very powerfull. its also the one command which can be used to execute macro on other clients. just broadcast an execlink to another client and it runs there instantly.
Hmmm...interesting...is there any defense against this? With my Plugin System you always have the option not to install a plugin if you think someone might abuse it...Is there a way to prevent abuse of broadcasts of execlink?
no, but then again, there is little harm you can do remotely. altering tokens can already be done directly so no gain there. The most 'malicious' thing I could think of that you could pull off it to start an infinate loop that opens a frame on another client with some offensive text. In all there are no security reasons.
However as soon as MT would allow writing access to a local client, then this would become dangerous. So for you to, be careful with your plug-ins.

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

wolph42 wrote:
Lord.Ashes wrote:
no, but then again, there is little harm you can do remotely. altering tokens can already be done directly so no gain there. The most 'malicious' thing I could think of that you could pull off it to start an infinate loop that opens a frame on another client with some offensive text. In all there are no security reasons.
However as soon as MT would allow writing access to a local client, then this would become dangerous. So for you to, be careful with your plug-ins.
That is true. A GM can create macros and prevent players from being able to create/edit/use macros but I guess the players can always type core MT macro functions into the chat windows.

Is execlink threaded or blocking...if it is blocking then the worst I can think of would be a DOS (not the OS, Denial Of Service) attack. If your campaign requires any kind of first come first server then one could send another player a execlink which just creates an infinite loop. If exelink is blocking that's player's MT will basically lock up because it will be waiting for the execlink to finish but it never will because it is an infinite loop.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

indeed. although the interesting (and bloody annoying for programmers at the same time) thing is that loops in maptool are limited to1000 after which mt throws an 'infinate loop' error.
Ofcourse ive found ways around that, but this will prevent in most cases this kind of trickery

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

wolph42 wrote:indeed. although the interesting (and bloody annoying for programmers at the same time) thing is that loops in maptool are limited to1000 after which mt throws an 'infinate loop' error.
Ofcourse ive found ways around that, but this will prevent in most cases this kind of trickery
Well even 1000 loops of a input prompt could be achieve a similar attack. It may not actually take MT down but the user will not be able to "participate" in other stuff until the looping concludes ;-)

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

Not that I object to a good discussion but this has now gotten completely off topic.

Not only can that make it frustrating for users that are coming back to this post to read about the Damage Level plugin (because they see a change) but they get a conversation about something else...but it also means that people who are looking to contribute to this discussion (as opposed to Damage Level plugin) aren't going to find (because the subject is Damage Level plugin).

If you want to discuss this further, can you please open a separate thread. Thanks.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

MOD
I splitted the off-topic comments into another thread.

Sorry, I still have to get used to this forum software, I hoped it would work somewhat less intrusiv
e.

Return to “User Creations”