Custom Emoticons Plugin MapTool-1.3.b90beta.Plugin_Support

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Custom Emoticons Plugin MapTool-1.3.b90beta.Plugin_Support

Post by Lord.Ashes »

Custom Emoticon Plugin Rev 2 for Unofficial MapTool-1.3.b90beta.Plugin_Support mod
(Changed highlighted in orange)

You can download it at...https://www.mediafire.com/folder/o1uj0q ... 20for%20R5
You can download the unofficial MapTool mod at http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24539

This plugin allows you to create any number of custom emoticons using MapTool tokens, web-based images or images from the client's local file system.
A macro is provided for automatically detecting Emoticon tokens and providing the information to the plugin to make setting up the plugin even easier.

Animated emoticons are not possible, through Animates GIFS (yes...old school animation), using either the web-based images or local files. Sample animated emoticons can be downloaded from the same link as the plugin. A free Animated GIF creation tool can be downloaded from: http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/

Emoticons Plugin.txt
(9.82 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Edit:

1. Added Rev 1.0 Info
2. Added Rev 2.0 Info
3. Corrected highlights
Attachments
Emoticons Plugin.txt
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Last edited by Lord.Ashes on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Custom Emoticons Plugin MapTool-1.3.b90beta.Plugin_Sup

Post by aliasmask »

Interesting. Not a bad idea. As a general rule I don't like emoticons except for happy :) and sarcastic ;)

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

aliasmask wrote:Interesting. Not a bad idea. As a general rule I don't like emoticons except for happy :) and sarcastic ;)
Well that is partially the point of my plugin. MT gave you two options: use the core emoticons and don't use the core emoticons (unless b90beta where it seems there is only one option: don't use emoticons). My emoticons plugin give more control. Using the plugin, players have the choice of:

1. Using Emoticons at all (i.e. install plugin or not)
2. Selecting which Emoticons to use (e.g. only happy and sarcastic)
3. Selecting what the Emoticons look like

Of course people who like icons can go way beyond the regular emoticon level with this plugin. For example, comic book fans can use this plugin to replace the word "attack" with a Pow style icon and the word "damage" with a "Bam" style icon.

However, even though the emoticon icons are likely to be in the campaign file or a campaign repository, players can choose to use them or not as they desired (i.e. by enabling or disabling the plugin or by making custom assignment so that only certain emoticons are used). A GM could try to enforce the use of emoticons by sending a Broadcast of the emoticon assignments but players can always change this and/or turn off the plugin altogether. This is why I specifically made the Emoticon plugin functions usable by both GM and players because there is always likely to be disagreement on what level of emoticons is good.

I think there will be a making another version which does not use Token assets. The assets version is great for emoticons that are themed after the campaign but the restrict player's choices to use personalized emoticons because they have to be available to the campaign. Plus if I use local files as opposed to assets I will be able to, without additional coding, support mode image formats including animated GIFs.
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

Rev 2.0 of the Custom Emoticons plugin is now out! See original post for download links.

Change Log:

- Emoticons images can come from token image (as before) but now it can also come from a web-server image or from a local file
- Emoticons images can now be animated by using Animated GIFs are the source of the emoticon image

Notes:

The biggest advantage of using either web-based or local file system based emoticon images is that the images do not need to be included in the Campaign file. Each player can have their own set of emoticons (if they are using the plugin) without forcing others to use the same emoticons. This also reduced campaign file size since the emoticons do not need to be placed into the Campaign file.

A side effect of using images from either a web server or from the local file system is that different file formats are supported. This can include Animated GIFs (so far tested on Windows client only) which allows the use of animated emoticons.

If creating your own emoticon animations, the animation should be one that is looped because MT caches the image and, if not looped, will not replay the animation if the emoticon is displayed a successive time (i.e. it would only play the animation the very first time the emoticon is used). By looping the animation, this issue is avoided.

Return to “User Creations”