Monster database and creator for Pathfinder

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Monster database and creator for Pathfinder

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Hi, I really like the RegEx parser which allows people to copy monsters into a framework. But I got to thinking why hasn't someone set up a database of monsters Like the spell databases so that within MT you can find a monster and click on it to auto create the token - then all you would need to do is find a picture and you are good to go. No more copying and hoping the parser picks it up correctly.

Am I on the wrong track with my thinking. Is there a reason no one has done it? I tried a proof of concept and it seems to work. It is a little slow but then you only use it to set up monsters and it is not slower than the parser. After that the database is only referred to for, say, random encouters which you have not planned ahead of time.

I have two macros on the Token under Setup: Create Monster & Find Monster. One creates a monster by looking through the whole list of monsters and the other asks you to type in a monster to find and goes to that entry. Find is basic at the moment so there is no error checking.

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Dok
Attachments
DoktorAMonsterstoMT.cmpgn
(4.21 MiB) Downloaded 97 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Monster database and creator for Pathfinder

Post by aliasmask »

Another great idea. I'm just curious where you got the db from? PFSRD? Given IMarvs db I haven't had too much trouble to putting together monsters. It's the NPCs that are the real pain. I haven't looked at the campaign yet but someone on MT put together a set of generic monster tokens to represent the types. May be a good addition if you don't already have something like that. I have a folder named "GennysTokens Generic Markers" but I don't recall if that's an MT downloadable resource library or something separate. I couldn't find it on the forum and they may have been stored on the now dead MT Gallery.

I'll go ahead and post a link from my google drive. I don't see any copyright info in the zip file, but assume this is for personal use only. I share with no copyright infringement intended.

genny__s_token_pack_by_general_ebonrose-d3ho7zt.zip

After a quick google search I think this is the author.

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Playing tonight and away for the weekend so I will not be working on it or looking at the forums for a few days.

But, yes it is from PFSRD - which I should have referenced in the original post to give them credit for the work. And you are right, an NPC version is on my radar and would be very easy to produce.

I worked on this because I do not use the PF framework and have not been able to download any of IMarvs monsters. And I like tinkering. I'll look at your stuff in a couple of days.

Cheers,
Dok.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@OP Have you worked on SQL databases before?

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

For rpg stuff( where stuff are mostly "documents" : a statblock, a feat description, a spell, etc ), I find relational databases to be PITA.

The "relational" bit in relational databases are overkill imho.

2 cents..
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

badsequel wrote:For rpg stuff( where stuff are mostly "documents" : a statblock, a feat description, a spell, etc ), I find relational databases to be PITA.

The "relational" bit in relational databases are overkill imho.

2 cents..
:lol: True. Though in this use case, there's really no need to create a relational database, though people with the knowhow can certainly leverage this, and if they do and share with the community, then it would be great, wouldn't it?

Using it for "flat" tables should be more than enough for any framework. If someone wants to pool comprehensive data for a certain gaming system, it can be hosted on the cloud or in portable form and services can be written to fetch data from this source.

New users won't have to do what a good number of regular users probably did, which was to either write a data scheme for their framework, or figure out how to write scripts to access the existing libraries.

Funau
Cave Troll

Post by Funau »

Hi. Great Framework. There are two Error I found using MT 1.3.b90.

Code: Select all

Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any): IF(getStrProp(damageInfo, "Save")!="on"), CODE       Statement Body (first 200 characters): { [MACRO("Apply HP Damage All@Lib:PathfinderRPG"): encode(getSelectedNames() )+","+damageInfo+","] };{ [DIALOG(title, "input=1; height=300; width=350"):{
and

Code: Select all

Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any): h, FOREACH(id, getSelected()), CODE       Statement Body : { [MACRO("Apply HP Healing@Lib:PathfinderRPG"): "ID="+id + ";"+macro.args ] }
How can I correct this error?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

There is one bug in b90 that is new. I've created a workaround together with Aliasmask for that. What you can do is re-download the b90-beta from the bag of tricks post (link in sig). In the root of that zip you'll find a rptok file that you need to drop into the campaign file. If this does not fix the issue then its likely a bug in the framework itself.

Funau
Cave Troll

Post by Funau »

wolph42 wrote:There is one bug in b90 that is new. I've created a workaround together with Aliasmask for that. What you can do is re-download the b90-beta from the bag of tricks post (link in sig). In the root of that zip you'll find a rptok file that you need to drop into the campaign file. If this does not fix the issue then its likely a bug in the framework itself.
OK... this is not an b90 Error. I get the same error using MT 1.3.89, and the same error using MT 1.3.b90 included the rptok file.

This must be a bug in this Framework.

An other Framework from DoktorAvalanche (DokABar.cmpgn) (I think this must be an older Version from that Thread) runs without an error.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23329

Funau
Cave Troll

Post by Funau »

I found a Little Workaround.

Open the "Campaign Properties", Switch to "States" and Update Dead / Dying both into dead / dying (with small capitals). Now you can damage and heal a token using the Toolbar without an Error in the Chat-Log.

Return to “User Creations”