Opinions and Help on "Traced" Art Style

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Opinions and Help on "Traced" Art Style

Post by joshsziegler »

I ran into this tracing tool http://vectormagic.com/home which processes PNG/JPG to SVG (though you can also convert back to PNG/JPG). Ignoring what it does under the hood for a moment, I really like the resulting style:

Chasm Overlook: Office Waiting Room: So what do you think? I'm not good at map making, but I think applying what amounts to a filter could give my maps a more consistent, light feel. Obviously this look won't be good for a police procedural or horror game, but for something like a gun-fu FUDGE game it might work.

Also, the program I linked to costs a fair amount ($300) for the full desktop version. Is anyone aware of a cheaper way to accomplish this same effect?

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Re: Opinions and Help on "Traced" Art Style

Post by Bone White »

joshsziegler wrote:Also, the program I linked to costs a fair amount ($300) for the full desktop version. Is anyone aware of a cheaper way to accomplish this same effect?
The right sequence and settings of tools in photoshop/gimp/most graphics programs.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

I would say Gimp. Photoshop won't be cheaper (on the contrary). Maybe just applying a watercolor style and playing a little with the controls should be enough (in Photoshop, but GIMP has the same kind of controls I think).

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

http://imgur.com/O1eOkTg

10 minutes of playing around with the Oilify filter in GIMP.

I believe what you're after is a type of stain glass effect (to preserve the line detail) combined with oilify, but I'm too busy to experiment much more sorry.

username
Dragon

Post by username »

I suggest playing with color reduction and cartoon style filters in gimp. I also used inkscape's vectorizor for such effects.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

username wrote:I also used inkscape's vectorizor for such effects.
I was going to suggest Illustrator... but I bet Inkscape will allow you to do this, too (for free).

A quick search found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7184564_convert ... scape.html

And once you have the SVG (vectorized) file go ahead and try saving it as a JPG or PNG file again to get the look you want.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “User Creations”