Jagged's Robo Rally

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Jagged's Robo Rally

Post by Jagged »

Jagged's Robo Rally
Are you a board Super Computer? Has a millennia manufacturing Widgets got you numb to your Super Conductive Core? Why not join your fellow Super Computers for a game of Robo Rally? Even if you don't win, you still get to see those mindless factory droids, crushed, fried and thrown into pits. What else are you going to do? Build a better Widget?

How To Play Robo Rally?
Hmmm. I am not going to tell you how to play Robo Rally. That would be a bit naughty. You can buy the game from Wizard (I would heartily recommend it). This version of Robo Rally conforms to the 1994 Avalon Hill version, but without all the Option Cards and no Robot Lasers (Aw! Maybe later.).

How To Use This Framework?
To use this framework to play Robo Rally you get together some friends with access to Maptool and perform the following steps:
  • Everyone (GM and players) should add "Jaggeds Robo Rally" Repository to their Maptool Library. Image
  • The GM needs to load the campaign file found here: Jagged Robo Rally Campaign and start a server.
  • The GM will get a pop-up window called "GM Controls" This has some basic instructions, but ignore it for now. You get get the window back, but clicking the "GM Controls" button from the "Campaign Window"
  • The map you see, looks pretty empty :( That's because there's no board yet. So create one:
    • Get your players to open "Jaggeds Robo Rally" Repository, expand the "Boards" sub-folder and drag boards onto the map.
    • Use as many or as few boards as you like. You need at least 1 though.
    • Get your players to build a race track from the board sections. They can position them where they like (on the Token Layer), they can duplicate them, rotate them and overlap them. Just don't flip them (if you do, it won't work)
    • When you and your players are happy with the race track, press the "SET THE BOARD" button from the "Campaign Window". This fixes the track, move the boards to the background layer and does some other stuff in the background
  • Now you have a race track, you just need a starting and finishing line!
    • You should see 8 red flag tokens. These are set to player ownership, so your players can move them.
    • Get your players to position as many flags on the boards as they like. You need at least 2 (start and finish) but other than that, you can use as many or as few as you like.
    • When you and your players are happy with the flag positions, press the "SET THE FLAGS" button from the "Campaign Window". This fixes the flags, moves the flags to the object layer.
  • Now you have a track and flags to run between, you just need some cannon fodder, err contestants:
    • Get your players to open "Jaggeds Robo Rally" Repository, expand the "Bots" sub-folder and drag one bot onto the map each.
    • DO NOT place the bots on the race track yet. Leave them on the black background.
    • Do not grab extra bots, as all the bots have to be programmed every turn.
    • Grab a bot yourself, if you are going to play ;)
  • You are now ready to start. Press the "0. Setup" button from your "GM Controls" window (remember, if you have accidentally closed down the window, just press the "GM Controls" button from the "Campaign Window"). This will turn each bot into a Virtual bot and deal each bot 9 programme cards.
  • Start to Play the Game:
    • At the start of each round every player must programme their Bot. Select your Bot and press "F2" to programme your Bot
      • When you press "F2" a window opens up showing 5 empty registers and (up to) 9 programme cards.
      • For the first time, you also have to select your initial facing. This is the direction you will be facing when your Bot is placed on the first flag.
      • Select each empty register in turn and one of the programme cards and press "Programme" to programme that register.
      • Use the "Clear" or "Clear All" buttons if you change your mind.
      • When all 5 registers are programmed, press the "Ready" button.
      • In subsequent rounds (if you have taken damage), you get the option to "Power Down". This means you don't get any cards and just sit there for a round, repairing your damage.
    • When all the Bots are "Ready" the GM presses the "1. Register 1" button on the "GM Controls" window, and the bots all move their first programme card. Fastest first.
    • The GM now needs to click the buttons that appear in the "GM Window". These activate the board elements in their proper order. Boring I know, you are a Super Computer, its all boring!
    • As the board elements activate, the bots may be moved round the factory floor. Possibly taking damage, possibly falling down pits.
    • Eventually you will have to click "2. Register 2" to perform the second card. Then repeat all the board elements and other cards until you have down all 5.
    • The final button in the sequence is "6. Turn End". Pressing this button deals out new cards to all the players. At this stage any dead bots, will get the chance to come back into play. Plus any bots that were Virtual now become real (if they are not in the same square as another bot). The difference between "virtual" and "real" bots is that "real" bots can push and shove each other as they execute their programmes!
  • Finishing the Game: to win, you must touch each flag in order. To touch a flag you must be in the same square as the flag once all the board elements have activated. You must also still be alive. Being a laser charred husk, doesn't count. Sorry :(
That seems awfully complicated! Its not really, you just click the buttons you are told to click. But you are a Super Computer with parallel processes to spare, I am sure you will work it out.

Bug Fixes: 2014-07-15
  • Fixed issue of lasers vs 2+ Virtual Bots on same square
  • Fixed issue with resetting bot destroyed by lasers
  • Shover in wrong place on Laser Maze.
Update: 2014-07-14
  • Fixed error if all the bots die
  • Added Vault board
Update: 2014-07-18
  • Better Handling of non-standard sized boards
If you don't have the fixes, delete your Robo Rally Resource and download it again.
Last edited by Jagged on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Jagged's Robo Rally

Post by wolph42 »

Yo you're going live already!! Nice. I'm currently working on a board editor. Just made the first move in the bag of tricks. Now implementing in robo rally. But not easy...

Congrats!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Can I Use My Own Robots?

If you have your own graphics you would like to use for robots, you don't need to do much to get them to work in this framework.

1) Ideally they should be top down graphics. Its not "essential", but top down work best.

2) When you "Clear Facing" the graphic should be facing South.

3) Under the token's "Config" tab, set the "Properties" to "Bot".

Job done.

Can I Create My Own Boards?

Of course.

Can You Explain How I Create My Own Boards?

Its not difficult but its probably harder to explain that do. If anyone expresses an interest, I will give it a go ;)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Some images or even a video would be a good way to demonstrate the game/framework.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

You mean my "extensive" instructions were not enough! :O

If I get time ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Found a couple of bugs last night, during a large board run :oops:
  • When you have two virtual bots, in the same square, that get hit by a laser, only one registers for damage.
  • Error in resetting a bot destroyed by lasers.
Neither of these should take long to fix ;)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:Found a couple of bugs last night, during a large board run :oops:
  • When you have two virtual bots, in the same square, that get hit by a laser, only one registers for damage.
  • Error in resetting a bot destroyed by lasers.
Neither of these should take long to fix ;)
ah virtual bots... didn't do those yet. Again here the rules are not consistent. Some rules simply say that if two bots 'appear' on the same archive in the same turn then the 2nd one (to be destroyed) appears next to the first (with some rules of how and where).

in my case I simply stack them (roughly the same as virtual) but the 'normal' rules apply as soon as they step off the pad. However if a laser is shooting at a checkpoint, I might have the same issue as you do. Will check.

Note: my map editor is finished (well save some cleaning up) and its pretty neat. Might be useful for you as well, but not sure. Will probly release this week.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

PS: I thought I had made the system as user friendly as possible (just drag items from your Library onto the map). But unfortunately my friends found it depressingly difficult to set up a new Library Resource :cry:

Return to “User Creations”