Wolph42's RoboRally Game V2.0

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Wolph42's RoboRally Game V2.0

Post by wolph42 »

MAJOR UPDATE V2. I currently dont have the time to go into detail, but save to say, this is one of the biggest projects I've been working on for the last 6 or so months. I'll update this post with more details later. For now version 2 is out.

Not much to say. Here's the tutorial to build your own map (9 have already been prepared) and to start the game. If you have any questions... don't hesitate to ask them here.

Game tutorial Video

Note: its fairly well possible that their will be some bugs in there. I've extensively tested a LOT of things, but its a complex framework with endless possibilities, hence the proof is in the pudding. Let me know if you encounter something!!
Very very short tutorial
to start a game:
0. Make sure the Table (gray area) is EMPTY

1. BACKGROUND LAYER:
Drag one or more of the prepared board onto the table (thats the gray area). Make sure they stay WITHIN the boarders!!
You can rotate them as you like and you can place as many as you like as long as they do NOT overlap!!

2. OBJECT LAYER:
Place the green checkpoints on the map where you want them. Always make sure that they are contiguous and starting with 1 (e.g. 1,2 and 3. NOT 1,2 and 4)

3. (go back to the token layer)
Click the red 'Initialize map' button (wait a few seconds). You'll get a pop-up, check if everything is correct and continue. Click Cancel if everything is NOT correct (and correct it, rinse and repeat)

4. Start server AS PLAYER (or you'll be cheating)

5. Let other players (as player) connect (indeed this can only be played with multiple instances. Note that you *can* run multiple instances on one PC)

6. Click 'Start Game'. Again a pop-up, assign the red marked player names to the bots. Do NOT skip a bot. So 3 players means bots 1,2 and 3. Also make sure you spell the names correctly!!

HERE THE GAME STARTS, Read the rules e.g. here if you don't know them.

7a. Click 'Deal Cards'
b. Order the cards to your liking, wait until everyone is ready and
c. click 'Run Program'. Sit back and watch the show. Note that in the chat you'll see a log of what happened. You will also see the bots ANIMATED over the screen

rinse and repeat (that is: 7a to c).
screenshot
Screenshot 2014-07-16 21.13.57.png
Screenshot 2014-07-16 21.13.57.png (767.55 KiB) Viewed 12226 times
ROBORALLY - CAMPAIGN FILE
Important remark: you should be able to play the game with a stack size of 4. However if you're going to create a new board (so I don't mean just creating a play field by moving a couple of boards in the play area, but actually creating a new board like e.g. 'laser maze' from scratch) then you need to temporarily set the stack size to 10 !!

ROBORALLY - RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS

edit: first version update
- 2.0: too much to mention, I'll update this later (hopefully)
- 1.0a: toggles can now handle multiple and rotated boards (again make SURE that the impersonated and selected panels are turned OFF when you use these).
- 1.0b: added animation-turn-pause-toggle.
- 1.0c: small fix in turnbot that threw an error

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Wolph42's Robo Rally Game

Post by Jagged »

Another awesome demonstration of how Maptool can be made to do anything, even quite complex board games ;)

TheShadow
Kobold

Re: Wolph42's Robo Rally Game V1.0a

Post by TheShadow »

Woah! This looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out :lol:

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote:what do you think of the editor?
Very cool, I particularly liked the auto selection of tokens. Nice.

I also liked your "join-turn" tokens. I hadn't thought of that. One of those ideas that when you see, you wonder why you didn't think of it ;)

One bit of feedback I would give on the actual game play though. You animate all 5 turns in one go. In the games I have played, a large part of the "fun" comes from between turns, as players anticipate the next reveal and predict their doom when the miscalculate or get pushed off course. So, just my opinion of course, but I would only animate "one card+board elements" at a time. Still brilliant though :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:
wolph42 wrote:what do you think of the editor?
Very cool, I particularly liked the auto selection of tokens. Nice.

I also liked your "join-turn" tokens. I hadn't thought of that. One of those ideas that when you see, you wonder why you didn't think of it ;)

One bit of feedback I would give on the actual game play though. You animate all 5 turns in one go. In the games I have played, a large part of the "fun" comes from between turns, as players anticipate the next reveal and predict their doom when the miscalculate or get pushed off course. So, just my opinion of course, but I would only animate "one card+board elements" at a time. Still brilliant though :)
Thanks for the feedback.

What do you mean with 'join turn' tokens??
edit:Ah you mean the conveyor belts. Yes... thats actually done out of necessity. As that tile has actually multiple functions and the way the code is constructed (interpret what is put there) I need seperate tokens for each functions. So:
1. one token to 'move' the bot when its on there and
2. one token to 'turn' the bot when it moves on there.

#2 requires actually exactly the same code as a 'normal' turn-corner conveyer, just the image is different.

Same with lasers, that took me an age to figure that out both in code as in images. I finally decided to got for max 4 lasers an create seperate images for each laser and their beams. That was less work AND less coding then taking into account every permutation that is possible with 4 lasers (e.g., two opposite walls: 4 left - 0 right, 3 left - 1 right, 2 left - 2 right, and the other way round).

I see what you mean with the 5 in one go. What I could do is pause the animation after each step (or better yet, make it a setting or separate button). All the calculation would than already have been done, and the chat would show the entire log, but the animation can be done with a pause between turns.

What would the actual preference be.
- turn 1 animation - dialog pop: press ok to continue - turn 2 animation - etc.
or
- turn 1 animation - full stop - run a macro once more to do step 2.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote: What would the actual preference be.
or
"Ok" to continue sounds good. But either would work, so I'd go for whatever is easiest to implement ;)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jagged wrote:
wolph42 wrote: What would the actual preference be.
or
"Ok" to continue sounds good. But either would work, so I'd go for whatever is easiest to implement ;)
done!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Wolph42's Robo Rally Game V1.0b

Post by lmarkus001 »

These are so cool I have to learn how to play!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Humm... the version you have linked in the opening page is not functioning for me. When I attempt to run the program I encounter:

Code: Select all

Round: 1
Executing card: Card0_3_800
...which succeeds.
...which succeeds.
...which succeeds.
Executing card: Card1_L_130
    Error in body of roll.
       Statement options (if any): h
       Statement Body : runProgram()
I tried clearing the card registers and reinitializing the game, and it has the same type of failure at various spots in the card processing.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Crap. Could you send me your log?

edit: when I started it I noticed that the macro had 'allow players to edit macro' turned on. That rendered an error and I turned it off. Beyond that several rounds no error. The one you're describing it a puzzle, so i really do require you log (preferably you empty it first, then replicate error and then send it.)
additionally you could let me know what you do to replicate it. (what boards, what steps etc.)

and here's my dev version, you can try that one too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21xl17kduwco0 ... 1.0d.cmpgn

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Tried MapTool b90 and b91 with Java7 64-bit on Win7.
Tried the development version you linked.
Tried different map combinations.

Process is:

Drag any robot tokens off of the map area.
Delete any cards in registers (select, press Delete key)
Drag 1 or 4 non-overlapping maps onto background of grey map area
Drag flags 1-4 onto random spots on the map on the Object layer
Change to Token layer
Run Initialize
Launch server in Player mode
Connect with other client
Run Start game
Deal cards
Run program (without any shuffling of the cards)

BLAT - I always have the failure at some point in the program run.

Of note, I think a robot gets destroyed in most of my test runs.

I will endeavor to get you a log dump.

Return to “User Creations”