Gradient Alignment Chart

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Altrunchen
Giant

Gradient Alignment Chart

Post by Altrunchen »

Alignments cause arguments all the dang time in campaigns. And the way I see it is that alignment is a relative thing in most cases (with some things like infanticide being generally seen as evil and so on). That a paladin may see themselves as lawful good but may appear as lawful evil to everyone else. As such, I don't see alignment as series of nine categories (since no one can usually agree on what they specifically mean or how to interpret them). I see alignment as a gradient, as a blend of many variables with many outcomes. After all, most of the time the alignment system is represented by a Cartesian plane, so then why not have a coordinate based alignment system?

All in all, I believe that alignment is meant to help guide role-play but that too often it dictates role-play instead. And don't even get me started on magic that influences alignment =_=.

Anyways, I made a gradient alignment chart with a grid on it to help track things, use it as you will.

Proposed System:

1.) Each character/NPC gets 100 alignment points.
2.) Assign points in terms of relative % of their motivations and influence.
3.) Minimum of 5 points in each category as no one is pure anything, people are more complicated than that.
4.) The alignment points refer to, proportionately, how a person leans in terms of alignment

Examples:
>Paladin:
>>Good: 30
>>Lawful: 60
>>Evil: 5
>>Chaos: 5

>Barbarian:
>>Good: 40
>>Lawful: 5
>>Evil: 15
>>Chaos: 40

and so on...

The purpose of the numbers is to help people who aren't very good at role-play to role-play their character by having them roll 1d100 when they can't decide what their character would do. The rolled result compared to their alignment percentages would suggest what their character might do in a situation.

Alternatively, the point of not being able to have 100% in any alignment nor 0% is that someone is always capable of acting against the majority of their beliefs or ideals, and that no one is beyond doing something in any of the categories. This is intended to help inspire more complex role-play by asserting that the character is, by default, more complex than just a member of one of nine categories.

Or...

You could just have a character's alignment be a single point on the chart since there is a grid on it already. Allows for variation and relative degree without bringing in percentages.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: Gradient Alignment Chart

Post by mfrizzell »

Very unique approach. I'll have to give it some thought before deciding to use it or not. I appreciate your ideas.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Altrunchen
Giant

Re: Gradient Alignment Chart

Post by Altrunchen »

mfrizzell wrote:Very unique approach. I'll have to give it some thought before deciding to use it or not. I appreciate your ideas.
Thanks dude! :D

Return to “User Creations”