[Java] In need of crazy large map and/or campaign file

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

d4rkAlf
Cave Troll

[Java] In need of crazy large map and/or campaign file

Post by d4rkAlf »

Hello Maptools community! I've only just recently discovered Maptool, but boy, am I in love.

I'm studying with the goal of acquiring an engineering degree in computer science and as part of that endeavour I've been looking for a nice open-source project I can contribute to. As luck would have it Maptool tickles me in all the right spots. :roll:

I'm especially interested seeing what can be done about the performance of Maptool. It's nice and snappy on my PC, but then again I'm running a 4770K @ 4 GHz so anything else would have been a disgrace. Also I don't have anything to really push the limits of Maptool with since it's all still so new to me. I'm hoping someone in the community has a map or campaign file that's really taxing. I'm looking for large maps with lots of VBL and tokens, but also for anything with complex macros.

So, what do you say, dear community? Are you able to help me help you?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: [Java] In need of crazy large map and/or campaign file

Post by wolph42 »

Great that you want to participate in this project!!

in my sig you find a link to 'bag of tricks'. There you can download a full campaign. In that campaign is a map called 'forest'. turn on the FoW and drag a token through it.

edit: this map is 'doable' on most systems. If you want really crazy, you can use the same BoT to create insanely large forests with vbl... I did some stress tests a while back but I forgot the numbers, but I guess a few thousand trees will do the trick. :mrgreen:

edit2: MOTE has used that same map to test their VBL optimalizations. And those were impressive!

d4rkAlf
Cave Troll

Post by d4rkAlf »

wolph42 wrote:Great that you want to participate in this project!!

in my sig you find a link to 'bag of tricks'. There you can download a full campaign. In that campaign is a map called 'forest'. turn on the FoW and drag a token through it.

edit: this map is 'doable' on most systems. If you want really crazy, you can use the same BoT to create insanely large forests with vbl... I did some stress tests a while back but I forgot the numbers, but I guess a few thousand trees will do the trick. :mrgreen:

edit2: MOTE has used that same map to test their VBL optimalizations. And those were impressive!
Do I need the BoT installed to use the campaign file?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

lol. If you load the campaign then the bot *is* installed.

edit: to clarify. 'Installing the Bot' is no more then dropping two lib tokens (ontokenmove and eventmacros) onto a map in your campaign. As these two tokens are part of the said campaign it hence is already 'installed'.

In case of the forest though, you can extract the map and load it into a fresh campaign. The boT is not required. Its simply a map with trees and vbl (not entirely true, it also makes use of moveOver to remove the canopy when a token is on a tree, but its not required for testing.). On the other hand if you want to create your own forest (automatically), you will need the bot. IRC there's a vid explaining how.

d4rkAlf
Cave Troll

Post by d4rkAlf »

wolph42 wrote:lol. If you load the campaign then the bot *is* installed.

edit: to clarify. 'Installing the Bot' is no more then dropping two lib tokens (ontokenmove and eventmacros) onto a map in your campaign. As these two tokens are part of the said campaign it hence is already 'installed'.

In case of the forest though, you can extract the map and load it into a fresh campaign. The boT is not required. Its simply a map with trees and vbl (not entirely true, it also makes use of moveOver to remove the canopy when a token is on a tree, but its not required for testing.). On the other hand if you want to create your own forest (automatically), you will need the bot. IRC there's a vid explaining how.
Haha yeah, I suspected as much. But I thought I'd better ask just in case. :P

Return to “User Creations”