AD&D (1e or 2e) Framework

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

celestian
Dragon

AD&D (1e or 2e) Framework

Post by celestian »

I had some free time while I didn't run a game for the past few months and decided to make a framework that I could use in maptools that had some useful features and an AD&D DM. This tool should work for 1e/2e and OSRIC players (most of their mechanics are the same as far as the framework is concerned).

Current download link: ADND Framework 3.0 site 1 or ADND Framework 3.0 site 2

This framework was built with the idea of making a AD&D game simple to run for player and dm. It allows the PC to use the token as their character sheet and is easy enough for most users to maintain it. The DM tools allow for quick NPC initialization and tracking.

Framework written and run using v1.4 of MapTools. Not sure if it will work under any other.

Here are a list of features for DMs.
  • Token initialization. Generates creatures Attacks/HP/saves and creates series of macros to use from the token.
  • Database for Monster/NPCs.
  • Database for Journal Entries.
  • Database for spells.
  • Database for skills/weapon proficiency/non-weapon proficiency.
  • Database for inventory items (Equipment).
  • Teleport players (tokens) around the map or to different maps fairly easily.
  • Initiative macro system that follows AD&D 2e rules but can be altered for others.
  • NPC macros to easily check saves/ability tests/adjust hitpoints/memorize spells/roll initiative.
  • Campaign settings i.e. Use 1e or 2e spells/monsters. Toggle what output (attacks/saves) is seen by players etc...
  • Macros to manage party experience, initiative, time and states/buffs/debuffs.
Features for PCs.
  • Character sheet that allows the player to maintain updates easily in game.
  • Sheet macros for save/hitpoint adjustments/initiative/attacks/inventory management/spellbook and spell casting, journals and dice rolls.
  • Dialog windows for easy viewing of commonly needed information for the player.
  • Information boxes in chat to easily see results of macros (attacks/skill checks/saves/etc).
I created 3 videos to cover most of what the framework can do. Keep in mind these videos are of the early version of the framework and things have been updated (improved!). They are however still accurate for how to use the tool.

This is the DM Tutorial for the framework.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-XhFIUL0U
Part 2 (Updates)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tAXRTP3tQ

This is the PC tutorial for the framework (mostly just covers how to use the character sheet).
https://youtu.be/ruinCSXKYLU
Brief video on how to optimally setup the layout for maptools for the player playing in a game using the framework.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9wuGWUjSQ

You can also get the most "current" version (not guaranteed to work!) from my gitHub.
https://github.com/CelestianGC/ADnD-2e-Framework

If you find any bugs or have suggestions please feel free to post them.

Here is a document I give my players to install Java and Maptools so that the framework will work for them. Follow the directions exactly ;)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZf ... sp=sharing
Last edited by celestian on Tue May 17, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: AD&D (1e or 2e) Framework

Post by Full Bleed »

It's nice to see someone put together a comprehensive 1e/2e framework. I'll be following your progress and development.

Good luck!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

1.1 is coming along nicely.
  • Added Journals (Campaign and Player versions)
  • Can have multiple character sheets open at once.
  • Updated spell management, input via form, allows for larger/better spell descriptions
  • Updated spellDB for level 1 arcane/divine with descriptions (and spheres in divine).
  • Can now have an ammo source for an attack and use them up when attacking. Ammo damage/range overrides weapon.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

celestian wrote: [*] Updated spell management, input via form, allows for larger/better spell descriptions
[*] Updated spellDB for level 1 arcane/divine with descriptions (and spheres in divine).
Not sure if you have a better resource, but here is a good site for cut-n-paste of 1e spells: http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rul ... spells.htm

I haven't found a good 2e source. My recollection is that the 2e descriptions often added more clarity, but having two sets of descriptions (1e & 2e) would often help figure out intent when there was a question.

I suspect that there are a good number of spreadsheets out there that would make importing this information much easier, but they are hard to find these days.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Full Bleed wrote:
celestian wrote: [*] Updated spell management, input via form, allows for larger/better spell descriptions
[*] Updated spellDB for level 1 arcane/divine with descriptions (and spheres in divine).
Not sure if you have a better resource, but here is a good site for cut-n-paste of 1e spells: http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rul ... spells.htm

I haven't found a good 2e source. My recollection is that the 2e descriptions often added more clarity, but having two sets of descriptions (1e & 2e) would often help figure out intent when there was a question.

I suspect that there are a good number of spreadsheets out there that would make importing this information much easier, but they are hard to find these days.
I actually had an old DB from some tool that had the core PHB (2e) spells/descriptions that I parsed up with perl and then imported initially. I didn't use descriptions at the time because it was really hard to parse it accurately from the way that program had stored them. I tried to import some but the formatting for things like "charm person" and such never turned out right (tables all pushed together). I could probably fix it with some regex parsing on the Maptools side but I really find it overly tedious. Right now I'm just copy/pasting from core rules CD PHB doc and manually make sure it all looks right.

IT's not so bad really, now if I had to set the range/aoe/saves/schools/etc on everyone I'd go mad ;)

I will check out the link tho, thanks for the suggestion!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

FYI, there is also OSRIC... but, as a purist, I would prefer to have the 1e & 2e descriptions (or even all 3 with some kind of toggle).

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Full Bleed wrote:FYI, there is also OSRIC... but, as a purist, I would prefer to have the 1e & 2e descriptions (or even all 3 with some kind of toggle).
Yup, quite familiar with OSRIC actually. Great stuff. I pretty much enjoy any version of the game from 2e and earlier.

What I might do later on is add multiple DB tokens for specific versions w/toggle to use specific one as you suggest. That said all 3 are so close it really (IMO) doesn't matter. I tend to lean towards 2e because the rules are a bit more clear and "tuned".

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

I have completed the import methods for "book/website" and "flat file". With that I was able to import 700 critters using sblaxman's monster spreadsheet.

You can now initialize tokens using the monster DB.

I think I am going to clean 1.1 up and update tutorial vids and upload it. My game starts in a few weeks so need to finalize things as best I can.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Updated first post with new changes to version 1.2.

1.1-1.2 update list:
Monster Database, Journal Database, NPC "Sheet". Journal Entries on PC Sheet w/options to make personal journal entries as well. Various bug fixes, UI updates and features.

1.2 download link: http://forums.rptools.net/download/file.php?id=7858

There is also an "part 2" of the DM tutorial video for the updates.
Part 2 (Updates)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tAXRTP3tQ

I didn't cover the import in great detail but here are the things I mentioned I used.
Import source: Monstrous Index Site
Flat file import source: SBLaxman's monster spreadsheet

Have any questions/suggestions please send them my way.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

1.3 update

1.2-1.3 update list:
Fixed various bugs, added multi/combo-attack for npc/pcs (Run all attacks at once in one combat window), added token shading for npcs when they fail saves so that when you do bulk saves you can easily see who failed (removed with "Next" or "End" in initiative is pressed).

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

1.4 update.

1.3-1.4 changes:
* added multi-token save (block save for npcs), failed saves will shade tokens "Green" until "next" initiative to easily see what failed.
* added multi-attack options to npc/pcs. You can now have sword/dagger attack all go off at once. Claw/Claw/Bite etc.
* added "weight reduction" to bags (bags of holding/etc)
* added rewards options (grant, give experience, party or individual)
* initiative, will center DM and player view on the token with initiative.
* more private options for npcs
* bug: fix output issues in hidden/private mode.
* bug: teleport players was dropping token, fixed and updated player select frame

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

1.5 update:

Bug fixes and few new features.

Changelog

* Encumbrance checks/adjustments added. (new fields in Token edit for PCs for thresholds)
* More monsters imported, corrected previously imported versions with missing fields (morale/size/etc)
* Logging mechanism added for EXP tracking, logs to tokens "GM Notes" section.
* Added hi-lightning for targeted attacks that hit (similar to the bulk save for NPCs and they fail) npcs.

See first post for download link.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

1.5-1.6 update Changelog.

* Added search to monster db.
* Various import bugs corrected.
* Container capacity limits.
* Added weight tracking and movebase adjustments for encumbrance.
* Run through test with 1.4, no problems.
* Bug fixes in learning/memorizing spells.
* NPC Death, token is moved "down" in z-axis which should make it so that token is behind "living" tokens for easier map viewing.
* NPC Death will cause the npc "sheet" window to close (to reduce clutter for the DM).
* NPC Sheets will auto-load/start/select when they have initiative.
* NPC Sheet auto-load option added to "Campaign Framework Settings" option.
* Fixed bugs with arrows/bows. It would only use adjustment from arrow, now will use adjustments from both bow and arrow.
* bulk cleanup of output to use broadcast() in almost all places to make output more clean.
* Fixed bug in "attack" code that if you didn't have something selected it would give roll errors.
* Added dice "tab" to character sheet for various rolls with privacy options.

See first post for current download.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

This is looking great.

How about an option to add a table with Monster portrait artwork from the original Tomes?

Being able to display the portrait through a table look-up in Monster editing and "Add Portrait" to tokens would be cool. When I think 1e I think of all that iconic, minimalist artwork.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Current download link: ADnD Framework 2.0.cmpgn

1.6-2.0 changes

Change log link.

* Added "sample" map.

@CelestianGC
equipment/combat …
CelestianGC committed 29 days ago
* updated combat/attacks window for npcs to match pc style
* updated equipment sheet for PCs and put total on bottom.
a5ae4e9
@CelestianGC
spells list …
CelestianGC committed 29 days ago
* updated spells list look in character sheet
* updated slots spell details, now shows "used" spell slots also.
a5d59b5
Commits on Nov 27, 2015
@CelestianGC
*spells …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 27, 2015
*added cleric spells 3-7th descriptions
c842dad
Commits on Nov 24, 2015
@CelestianGC
*wiz spells …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 24, 2015
* added descriptions for spells 3-9 for wizard/mage.
64ed00a
Commits on Nov 21, 2015
@CelestianGC
initiative …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 21, 2015
* tweaked initiative display, also removed center screen movement for
pcs on npcs initiative turn (just DM should get it). Only display "pc
initiative rolled" status (all/missing) on pc rolls, not npcs.
cdd36ba
Commits on Nov 9, 2015
@CelestianGC
init-bug …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 9, 2015
* fixed bug in initiative roll that would sometime miss a roll.
7d314a1
Commits on Nov 3, 2015
@CelestianGC
dmg text …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 3, 2015
* tweaked the format of damage output to cause less confusion.
9800ffa
Commits on Nov 2, 2015
@CelestianGC
init-check-fix …
CelestianGC committed on Nov 2, 2015
* fixed display issue with new init check. Header was listed even when
list was empty.
caf2a45
Commits on Oct 16, 2015
@CelestianGC
pc:teleport …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 16, 2015
* PC: Teleport campaign macro will only look at maps that PCs can see,
not hidden maps, make TP quicker.
c39fbe4
Commits on Oct 15, 2015
@CelestianGC
exp, thaco …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 15, 2015
* Tweaked Grant macros for experience to round so you don't get really
long 1212.34343434343434 type numbers.
* Tweaked thaco macro to show more compact and easier to read.
ebe4a01
Commits on Oct 12, 2015
@CelestianGC
init check …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 12, 2015
* added test to verify all PC tokens have rolled initiative. Alert when
the LAST pc token rolls initiative and during "Next" macro if one PC
token hasn't.
dfaed39
Commits on Oct 11, 2015
@CelestianGC
attacks bug …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 11, 2015
* fixed add attack with "none" as source weapon (clean up from sorting
by name). Make any attacks you want now (unarmed, hand 2 hand,
whatever).
a6ce115
Commits on Oct 10, 2015
@CelestianGC
attacks …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 10, 2015
* fixed bug in attacks sorting, would error out when the player/token
had no attacks configured.
38cb313
Commits on Oct 9, 2015
@CelestianGC
dice …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 9, 2015
* tweaked output of the dice rolls to show the modifier in the dice roll
text (already shown in tooltip).
17c29dc
Commits on Oct 4, 2015
@CelestianGC
save/bugs …
CelestianGC committed on Oct 4, 2015
* tweaked save "shading" to match the failed save color from chat box.
* fixed bug in +add combat weapon with "custom" names. (bow - long
named, elven longbow for example).
15c82f0
Commits on Sep 27, 2015
@CelestianGC
output/ui …
CelestianGC committed on Sep 27, 2015
* more clean up on text output and privacy.
* Active weapons in "Combat" tab now sort alphabetically instead of the
order they are in on the token properties.
* Direct edit option for personal journal entries while viewing.

Return to “User Creations”