MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

brad
Great Wyrm

MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Post by brad »

There has been talk for a while now about putting together a MapTool video that lasts a few minutes and is designed to show off MapTool's features and hook new users. I was hoping to make this a community effort, so I am asking for submissions of the map types listed below. After I put together a video I will put it out and ask for feedback. I am sure there will be multiple versions by the time I get done incorporating feedback ideas. I will make the final video(s) available in more then just flash, for easier sharing.

Here is the rough outline of the script.
-Welcome to MapTool and this is what a VTT is.
-Most basic level is battlemap, glance at drawing tools(oooo, textures and drawing)
-Look at how you can interact with the parts of the map
-Look how easily you can import a map from another source
-This is how easy others can connect to your computer
-Now that we are connected look at the cool vision and light
-See what a snap basic dice rolling is. Also take a glance at this fun advanced stuff( tracking stats, bars, states, attacks, targeting, etc...)

So, I am looking for campaign files that look good and would cover one or more of the following areas.
-Interaction with parts/objects in the map
-Show off the various light and vision options
-Have macros that would show off some of that advanced stuff.
-A cool map made outside of maptool that I can import.

I am looking to land in the 5 to 7 minute range, at the short end if possible. Any longer then that would loose people. So, some things might just get a brief look in the background while I am talking or might have to get cut. We will see how it works out.

Here is the link to the submission page. Please include instructions. I don't want to have to shift through everyones maps trying to find cool spots, what the vision settings are, or how the macros work. That would eat a lot of time. So, a brief message on what spot of what map you think would be great for what, how a certain macro works and what it is showing off, what tokens to use to show off what vision and light settings, etc...

I hope this turns out as good as it looks in my head!!!

http://rptoolstutorials.net/submissions.htm
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: MapTool Marketing Video (Call for Help!!!)

Post by trevor »

Hey brad, I've got some new tokens ready that you can use in your new vids. I'll see about getting them into 1.3b56, if not I'll email them to you
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Feel free to use my tileset for a dungeon if you want.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

trevor wrote:Hey brad, I've got some new tokens ready that you can use in your new vids. I'll see about getting them into 1.3b56, if not I'll email them to you
Great. Thanks!

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Brigand wrote:Feel free to use my tileset for a dungeon if you want.
Thanks, but my hope is that I can put all of my time into script and editing and that the community will supply me with finished maps and macros to use. That way not only is it a rptools community project, but I don't have to sink quite as much time into it. :D

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

It takes about ten minutes to make a dungeon once you know what all the pieces are.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And he's indicated that he doesn't want to spend that ten minutes. That's his perogative. :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

No disrespect to Brigand's nice dungeon tileset, but I suggest that assets that are going to be included with the MT build be used (presumably the new tokens and Torstan's tile set.) That way the first question won't be the one we hear all the time, "I want what's in the video!" What's in the video will be in the program.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I've offered to have my tileset included.

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

Something Simple I made a few days back - more to see how youtube works really - first upload : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucT0Q73lPg

Too bad about the 10 minute limit.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

PillBox wrote:Something Simple I made a few days back - more to see how youtube works really - first upload : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucT0Q73lPg

Too bad about the 10 minute limit.
Cool battle scene. Nice macros.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Brigand wrote:I've offered to have my tileset included.
Yep and I while I appreciate it Brigand, I was trying to clarify what I am asking for. I am not asking for images, pieces, textures, etc, to make cool scenes and so forth. I am hoping to save time, add variety, and get cooler maps/macros to show off by getting a number of finished creations from various members of the community.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I'm not a video person. Using the tiles and making a simple two room dungeon would show off the impressive capabilities of MapTool.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Brigand wrote:I'm not a video person. Using the tiles and making a simple two room dungeon would show off the impressive capabilities of MapTool.
We want this to catch peoples' attention though. Impress them. So, no I am not looking for a couple simple stone rooms. That would not show off the map making part of MapTool. Time goes fast in these videos, so multitasking is important. While we are showing off the great light and vision aspects of MapTool, the map that we are doing it in should be at least a little impressive as well. Two birds with one stone and all that! :D

What you are talking about is more my tutorial videos. Those are instructing on features and don't need eye candy, though I like to throw it in anyway sometimes as I can get a little compulsive about quality :lol: I can't tell you how many times I have reshot videos just to get rid of a couple misspoken words that break the flow.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Hey Brad, your submissions page, nor this thread mention it, but what sort of deadline are you looking at?

Return to “User Creations”