Framework: Thunder Road

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

MatthewAllen
Kobold

Framework: Thunder Road

Post by MatthewAllen »

As my 3 and 6 y.o. Children become more capable Board gamers, I think back on the games I LOVED to play.

Immediately my mind goes to Risk, Axis and Allies, Survive!, D&D, Legions of Steel, stratego, chess, and Thunder Road. My buddies and I would frequently bust these out and play. As my friend owned Thunder Road and it's hard to get, I thought, MT would be a great way to allow my son and I to play. I can hone my Macro writing skills at the same time.

Thunder Road is a game set in a MAD MAX world where team of your vehicles are trying be the last ones standing. You do this by outrunning everyone or blowing your opponent(s) up. Always fun and replayable.

Everything is set, I've recreated the board from the rules. (available on Hasbro's website) and some of the car tokens from board game geek's member pictures and rules. The rest are from an ebay auction pic... hence the poor quality.

INCLUDED
Thunder Road Campaign File HERE!
The .cmpgn is for MT 1.3b91. should include the two basic boards, (start and "end" on the background layer) all three car tokens (Semi, Car, and Buggy), the copter plus a Team marker to put in initiative for each of the four (4) colors. The macros are to throw move dice, attack dice, roll to ram eachother (I select both tokens in the battle, right click and run macro for selected tokens) and a wreck ram roll, which spits out success or failure and changes the failed token state and image to a wreck.
Spoiler
Screen Capture of startup
Screen Capture of startup
TR ScreenCapture2.png (351.56 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Not Included
I have not added anything but start markers from the advanced set (Motorcycles and Monster Trucks). I haven't read the rules yet and am not sure it's worth adding. Also no additional boards either. I wanted to keep this to the basic game for now. If I update to include them, I will make sure to add it here or at least a link here.

Wanted:
I would love help creating a board clear macro. The boards are 14 spaces long and it needs to clear/delete/State:dead all players on the board and then move it 29 spaces to the right and shift the view 14 spaces right. I know the tile movement can be done (as I learn more on macros) I'm just not sure if the clearing can be automated. Any suggestions, or help is welcome. Also I'd like to change all the car tokens to come from the BGG pictures... Next update then.

Enjoy, and happy gaming :D

*edited* to include link to cmpgn file (instead of the useless .zip :oops: )
Last edited by MatthewAllen on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-*Curently running a 5e campaign whilst lamenting for a return to 3.5*-

"While the community recommends I support player's desires, I just cannot support a 1/2 Dwarf-Drow 1/2 Nixie, Druid/Berserker. Maybe we should select a more traditional character for the underwater campaign"

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Framework: Thunder Road

Post by wolph42 »

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum!!

edit: what exactly *is* the TR.zip. I've downloaded it and well it appears to be repository ?!? You need to share the .cmpgn file, which you get when you simply 'save' (ctrl+s) your work.

I can also probly help you out (have a look at the roborally below) with the clear macro, but i need more info.

MatthewAllen
Kobold

Post by MatthewAllen »

:oops: OK Wow, I'm such a noob. Sorry all.

The file is 10MB (for some reason...) which means it needs to be hosted elsewhere.

Ok, here we go... Enjoy! *I hope* :wink:

"While the community recommends I support player's desires, I just cannot support a 1/2 Dwarf-Drow 1/2 Nixie, Druid/Berserker. Maybe we should select a more traditional character for the underwater campaign"

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ok it works. I had a quick look and one general remark:
do not use {} but use [r:] this due to nesting problem in MT. Only two nestings are allowed so try to omit them as much as possible. The exception to this is the CODE:{} block. So e.g. this

Code: Select all

[h: Attack1=1d6]
[h: Attack2=1d6]
Attack Results:<br><image src='{tblImage("Attack Die",Attack1,20)}', alt='{table("Attack Die",Attack1)}'></image>
<image src='{tblImage("Attack Die",Attack2,20)}', alt='{table("Attack Die",Attack2)}'></image>
you need to write as this:

[h: Attack1=1d6]
[h: Attack2=1d6]
Attack Results:<br><image src='[r:tblImage("Attack Die",Attack1,20)]', alt='[r:table("Attack Die",Attack1)]'></image>
<image src='[r:tblImage("Attack Die",Attack2,20)]', alt='[r:table("Attack Die",Attack2)]'></image>
even better is this:

[h: Attack1        = 1d6]
[h: Attack2        = 1d6]
[h:attDieImg    = tblImage("Attack Die",Attack1,20)]]
[h:attDie        = table("Attack Die",Attack1)]
[h:attDieImg2    = tblImage("Attack Die",Attack2,20)]]
[h:attDie2        = table("Attack Die",Attack2)]

[h:output        = strformat("
                    Attack Results:<br>
                    <image src='%{attDieImg}',    alt='%{attDie}'></image><br>
                    <image src='%{attDieImg2}',    alt='%{attDie2}'></image>
")]

[r:output] 
This sounds a bit counterintuitive as it contains {} again, but these do not count towards the nesting. The advantage of the latter is a clearer code structure:
initialization
input (not present in this case)
process
output

The Wiki: strformat() simply substitutes what is inside %{} with the actual value.

MatthewAllen
Kobold

Post by MatthewAllen »

Wow... :o
Thank you. Thank you.
for both the better way and the repository of images to use.
-Matt

Return to “User Creations”