Isometric tile sets?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

CaseyKitten94
Kobold

Isometric tile sets?

Post by CaseyKitten94 »

Are there any isometric tilesets that can be used, that don't require exhaustive use of gimp or photoshop to get individual tiles? I'm not that great with photoshop or gimp. Everywhere I look, i'd have to cut the individual tiles out from a sheet that has like 70 tiles. Any help is appriciated! thanks!
KITTENS FOR EVERYONE!!!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Isometric tile sets?

Post by aliasmask »

I know in the latest dev version 1.4.1.7, you can take a normal tile and apply it to the isometric view under Flip. You may have to unsnap to fit on the grid depending on the size and shape.

CaseyKitten94
Kobold

Post by CaseyKitten94 »

I more need sprites and pillars and such....the statue 2d tiles don't translate to iso too well.
KITTENS FOR EVERYONE!!!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It's not a perfect system for iso. Very new and experimental and hardly complete, but it's more than we had.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

There are a ton of sprite sites out there, especially if you don't mind extracting them from pages. A bing search for 'Monster Sprites' ended up giving me a folder with over 300 usable sprites for proper ISO view, and a lot more for standard 2d view.

As for upright tokens, when I run an iso map, we use sprites for our characters as well, especially from Fire Emblem games - even worked out a little macro to store all four facing images on the token, and hit a button to change facing to the proper image. While Maptools may not be super iso-friendly (yet), it's not to tough at all to play around with it so you can take advantage of height more easily.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

If you own Diablo II, you can extract the artwork for beautiful iso ready images. Search the forums (someone is doing that) and google for the tools/steps.

If you own Shadowrun Returns, in the install folder is a ton of modern/futuristic images to use (no extract required, they are already in png format IIRC)

Otherwise, google is your only other hope. I don't believe there are any torrents or collections. For sprite sheets, you may be able to find another program that can read/extract the sprite sheets for you?
-Jamz

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Alternatively, if you're doing something for commercial use, just find your favorite game and take screenshots of things that would work well.

These are some of the tokens I've created for an upcoming game, from screenshots of an iPad game I play. While not 100% perfect, I think they're pretty good!

Return to “User Creations”