5th d&d character sheet framework preview

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

jackolas
Cave Troll

5th d&d character sheet framework preview

Post by jackolas »

!!This post will not contain a download link.. its a preview!!

The first time i used maptools i loved the way how Frameworks can make D&D much easier to play.
I was DM-ing a group of novice players in my online community using different frameworks.
We where most impressed by DeviantNull character sheet framework and its easy use to get new players into D&D 4th edition.
Over the sessions I modified this framework and added stuff to make it better suited for my game group (4 new to D&D and 2 experienced players).
I't was a blast using the framework to DM a campaign spanning 1 and a half years.

But then 5th edition came and we started a new group (this time me as player).
We had an hell of a time because we did not have a easy way of using maptools for 5th edition (and to be honest neither has roll20 or any other platform).
Since I had been modifying DeviantNull his framework for the 4th edition I though by myself: "How hard can it be to create my own framwork".

Well it was a hell of a ride and i'm still not done but I have my own character sheet framework for 5th edition and my game group already loves it.
I'm posting this preview to see if peep here are interested in this framework. (its not 100% done yet)

5th d&d character sheet framework based on DeviantNull his 4th edition one:

Character sheet Features:
  • Display all character stats neatly on a character sheet.
  • Keeps track of health and hit dice (and allows to spent them).
  • Auto updates health bars on health change.
  • Keeps track of multi-classing (up to 3 classes).
  • Easy to use skill and ability checks (with option to do advance combination).
  • auto initiative rolling and turn handling.
  • Create own weapons and use them (Keeps track of ammo).
  • Create own powers and use them (keep track of "power points").
  • Create own magical items and use them (keeps track of charges etc).
  • Automatically calculate crits when using weapon/power/spells.
  • Let players set up spell books or list and cast spells from that list.
  • Keeps track of player spell slots (and casting spells using higher spell slots).
  • Allows multi-class spell casting (up to 3 classes).
  • Auto change spell rolls on higher levels/Spell slots.
  • Automatic tracks Rituals in separate list and allows players to add extra rituals.
  • keep track of traits and feats and allow sharing them.
  • Ability to track how much coin a player has.
  • Allow players to manage there own inventory by adding items.
  • Allow players to use items from there inventory (potions etc).
  • Let the players have an shared party inventory.
  • Give players an option to give items from there inventory to other players.
Other Framework Features:
  • Complete spell database with all spells in the base game (and easy to use system for DM to add extra spells).
  • Create custom casting classes in the spell database (with there own spell list and spell slots etc).
  • Complete item database with and easy way to add and customize coins and items.
  • Easy to use whisper system.
  • A message system for the DM to store pre-made messages and the ability to send them to players.
  • Adventure log where the DM can keep track of the party progression and for players to check what quest they are doing.
  • Note-taking Feature in adventure log that allows players to store notes that only them amd the DM can read.
  • Option to change popup windows size based on player screen resolution.
This framework will NOT do:
  • Auto apply damage or healing from weapon/skill/ability/spell/items (It will calculate the damage/healing, but won't apply it).

Some Screens:
Basic character sheet
Attacking with weapon
Using skill check
Casting spells
Editing player spellbook
Adding item to inventory
DM adding spell to database
DM adding item to database
Adventure log
I hope to you guys like this preview and if there are any question please ask them and I will try my best to answer them.
If there is interest I will upload this framework to the forum (dunno if I wait till its done or upload the alpha/beta).
Last edited by jackolas on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: 5th d&d character sheet framework preview

Post by aliasmask »

Very nice work.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

looks very very nice. A tip, you can share a dropbox link or links of your files.

First of dropbox helps when something gets screwed up (it has a repository function, so if something goes corrupt you have a backup).

Second: if you don't change the names of you file you can instantly upgrade to new versions by simply saving the file to the shared dropbox file. In this manner you share a dev version in which you are currently working and a production or stable version.

What I do is inbetween those things. I work always in dropbox (and that has saved me quite a few times). The bag of tricks I work directly in the campaign file that is shared on the forum also when im developig something new (sometimes i add a temporary broadcast so people know this is the case) The lib:ontkokenmove (the heart of the BoT) I update after Dev is done. (Most people update by replacing the lib:token).
As for my campaign: I work on it until I have something finished and then I update the share file in the public section of my dropbox. So that one is 'production only'.

Keep up the good work.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jackolas wrote:I hope to you guys like this preview and if there are any question please ask them and I will try my best to answer them.
If there is interest I will upload this framework to the forum (dunno if I wait till its done or upload the alpha/beta).
Looks nice. I might swipe your inventory system if I can get it plugged into my framework without too much work. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

jackolas
Cave Troll

Post by jackolas »

Full Bleed wrote:Looks nice. I might swipe your inventory system if I can get it plugged into my framework without too much work. ;)
Should not be that much of a problem. The inventory system i'm building is on a separated lib token and should just plug into an other framework with minimal changes.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jackolas wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:Looks nice. I might swipe your inventory system if I can get it plugged into my framework without too much work. ;)
Should not be that much of a problem. The inventory system i'm building is on a separated lib token and should just plug into an other framework with minimal changes.
Cool. Will definitely take a look at it once you release. Inventory is one of the areas I've put the least attention to in my framework but would like to make more interesting and integrated.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Very nice! Glad to hear you're fast tracking this! Can't wait to take it for a ride! :P
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Post by CixrTyx »

This is amazing seems simple an to the point, superb job!
I NEED this! :)
I hope this gets finished soon.
Though I have a question about auto applying damage, why don't you auto apply damage? And will you show us how to add that feature I'm not good at programming?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

CixrTyx wrote:Though I have a question about auto applying damage, why don't you auto apply damage?
I don't like to do this on my frameworks either because manual application of damage makes the GM and Player the last line of defense against applying the correct amount of damage/attacks (i.e. "You can't use Colossus Slayer on more than one attack per turn, so you only do 12 instead of 17.") Frameworks may account for many things, but might also miss some corner cases (with regard to resistances, immunities, or other miscellaneous creature/player damage abilities) and when things "die" other things tend to happen to a token and undoing all of them after accidentally applying too much damage (or an attack that didn't/couldn't happen) can be problematic.

It also harkens back to what the real table-top experience is where you track HP's manually. I find that when players are manually applying their own damage they're more aware of what their condition is.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Full Bleed wrote: I don't like to do this on my frameworks either because ...
What he said :D

jackolas
Cave Troll

Post by jackolas »

Jagged wrote:
Full Bleed wrote: I don't like to do this on my frameworks either because ...
What he said :D
same 8)

my graphics card got busted this week and just got a replacement.
so sorry if i did not upload this yet. I'm atm finishing 1-2 things and will upload it as soon as possible

engelrie
Kobold

Post by engelrie »

I am looking forward to the completed work.

CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Post by CixrTyx »

Can you use this for Monsters?
Is there a frame for monster sheets?
Also do you have Temporary HP options as well?
I've subscribed to this topic please when you release this can you make a new post that I see when it is released?
Thanks I'm so excited for this.

engelrie
Kobold

Post by engelrie »

Do you have a rough ETA?

fuleng6021
Cave Troll

Post by fuleng6021 »

This looks great!
It is the exact thing we are looking for, for our new 5e game. Hope you can release it soon.
looking forward to.
:D

Return to “User Creations”