Starfinder Framework - Who wants it?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Starfinder Framework - Who wants it?

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, so, anyone else have the Starfinder bug? Anyone else start working on a framework?

I'm thinking of creating a new framework for it. I could use lmarkus001's DND/Pathfinder framework (and in fact my current framework is just a customization of this one) but I don't want to add even more "If DnD else Pathfinder else Starfinder" logic in it. There are enough differences that it's just going to get a little crazy.

So I'm thinking of using my framework, based on lmarkus's awesome work, rip out any DnD logic, and change any Pathfinder logic and go from there. I want to rip out all the old inventory/spell stuff and bring it back down to a base framework. I also want to take the opportunity to see if I can streamline and speed up some of the slow spots in it. It may require some code changes to MT as well, but that's ok!

It's also making me wish we had the campaign directory enhancement done for better collaboration... Anyway, post if you are interested, either as a collaborator or user. If I see no interest, I'll just go back to my corner and code away for my own personal needs.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Starfinder Framework - Who wants it?

Post by aliasmask »

Best thing to do is make a generic framework where you can plug in skills, abilities, spells, feats and all the other knickknacks. Then it could be used for all the DnD related systems. Of course, there will be specialized plug-ins needed for the various systems. I've recently been bitten by the coding bug and have been working on releasing my "Dialog" plug-in for public consumption, but I'll be happy to discuss any ideas you have and give my 2 cents worth.

I don't have any of the Starfinder material and will likely wait for an SRD release before thinking about doing anything with it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I'd be into checking out any Starfinder framework... it's certainly getting more buzz than Paizo anticipated. That said, I'd rather see you get the box 2d physics engine implemented. That would fundamentally impact MT in a big way... though, I get that it isn't a direct line to a particular game/system that you may be currently inspired by.

BTW, here is an official Starfinder Cheat Sheet.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Thought I'd mention this, too: https://twitter.com/PCGen/status/899830468199186432

*If* you did start putting together a Starfinder framework... might be prudent to focus on things outside character creation and just embrace PCGen for your character builder.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I'll probably not make it "generic". There are already 3.5 sets so you can use that, and same for Pathfinder. If anything I *may* leave in some Pathfinder things but I'll see. Also, I'll be upfront, this will be more for Face to Face play orientated. I won't be concentrating on all the dice rolling outside of Init rolls and such.

Re buzz, It did sell out at GenCon a lot faster than I thought it would, I think it took 6 hours? (and they thought they brought enough for the weekend). And they had ended up adding a LOT of seats for the Starfinder games...

Re box2d, I'll be continuing working on that on the side. But I will be running the Starfinder Adventure Path for my group here soon so...ya.

Re Character Gen, ya, I let other tools handle that (I'll be using Hero Labs Online most likely as I use Hero Lab for Pathfinder). I'm hoping they have an export or api to get character data or well, poo.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Re Character Gen, ya, I let other tools handle that (I'll be using Hero Labs Online most likely as I use Hero Lab for Pathfinder). I'm hoping they have an export or api to get character data or well, poo.
Hero Labs is a cool program... but it is a commercial program that can get pricey to maintain support for a growing system... so, unlike PCGen, supporting it in your framework won't be as useful (or convenient) for the typical MT user.

For example, take a look at their Pathfinder "add-ons" in Hero Labs: http://www.wolflair.com/hero-lab-pricin ... -packages/

A huge chunk of that stuff is free in PCGen. There are 174 data sources that have been produced for Pathfinder.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I get the HL issue. I'll still be starting with it as it's for my use first and offers several advantages in that I can use XML vs regular expression to get the info.

"support" from PCGen would be your normal "statblock" import most likely. If anyone more familiar with PCGen want to create a macro importer, let me know. I haven't seen one for Pathfinder or DnD really so assume no one as done one other than normal statblock importing...

Also, HL support is already baked into my fork as in, it recognizes the file format (basically zip files) and can extract the XML from it and create tokens. "Famework" support is handled via macros after that...
-Jamz

drakahn99
Kobold

Post by drakahn99 »

im definatly interested in a starfinder framework. atm struggling with getting hitpoint/stamina/temp hitpoints bar working with a macro that can apply dammage correctly.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm going to wait until 8-31 when the starfinderSRD opens up to the public until I start doing stuff.

Funny thing is in my last campaign I kind of did the same thing they did with stamina and hp so I actually have bars for that, but the math is a bit different. I'll share at a later date.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Luckily, the bad guys ONLY have HP so...ya, that's easier... Have to change all the "death point" from con to RP too...

For bars, I was toying with combining them into one overlapping bar, like |======----- | dunno...we'll see

One MT "change" i'm looking at is for starfinder arcs...I notice you can't specify "where" an aura cone position starts, only it's arc...well, that's stupid, how am I going to show two side arcs? :)
I'm also thinking a "hollow" aura may be nice, or do I just add a "line shape" ?
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Found a FAQ today from the Hero Lab guys... I'm liking the possibilities here!

Q: Will Hero Lab Online support d20Pro and other VTT software the way Hero Lab Classic does?
A: Yes! With Classic, the only integration option for VTTs was to import the Hero Lab portfolio, with no ability to get anything back out and into Hero Lab. This approach will still be supported with Hero Lab Online. However, Hero Lab Online also provides a RESTful API that VTTs (and other tools) will be able to leverage for direct access to and manipulation of characters that persist on the Hero Lab Online servers.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think I'm going to start with a SF character sheet form and go from there. I'll post my progress in another thread.

Lawleslisa
Kobold

Post by Lawleslisa »

I would be very interested in a Starfinder framework. I am planning on running the AP face to face with my group as well.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

@Alias, you may jump ahead of me too...considering I'm hip deep in maptool changes... please, share! :) (Are you basing this off what is in the DnD/Pathfinder framework? Just curious, I moved over to that from statsheet in my framework but have lots of little changes in it, but still WIP)

Also, so far I'm thinking of 4 MT code changes to help facilitate Starfinder (ship combat).

1. Add starting position for arc in aura's/lights
2. Fix templates for Hexes
3. Add "floating statsheets" around tokens
4. Add aura/light option to constrain to hex/grid (vs circular).

#4 is a high wish list item that's been on my todo but going to very very last if at all

#3 I've seen some code bits like this was an idea... I thought it would be nice to see an expanded graphic around a token when you hover over them (vs lower left corner). It would be optional, and original statsheet would be left optional as well (probably programmable now via macro/token property), adding 4 more statsheets N, S, E, W. But I want to try and do it differently. Perhaps more as a floating "Frame" with no border. So you could specify a background image (like a partial circle/arc) and use CSS/HTML to format it using images/text/what ever.

Think of a simple example "4 arcs showing shield levels left". Other uses could be to show 'states' or some such.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm going to attempt to do it from scratch. Right now I'm organizing the data for the first form to create a character. I actually have a skills module that I can just plug-in the new skills and with some more code be able to convert old skills to new. The character leveling will be similar to the spell manager in that abilities will be made available as your level changes. There will be different kinds of abilities list. There will the gain list where you just get the ability at said level and the choose list where you pick from a list based on level. Right now there's no functionality and it's just the text that is listed, but I plan to add functionality once the other parts start to come together.

I've organized the races, themes and have 2 classes. I'll finish the other classes today and start work on the first part of the character creation form. It'll follow character creation rules where each step is a tab, so about 8 or 9 tabs.

Tab 1 - Summary
Tab 2 - Race
Tab 3 - Theme
Tab 4 - Class
Tab 5 - Stats
Tab 6 - Features
Tab 7 - Feats
Tab 8 - Skills
Tab 9 - Equipment

Summary Page will just be the full character sheet. I will likely get rid of the tabs and just integrate form buttons on the summary page, but it's easier to separate everything for now.

---

Nonlethal damage in SF is different the PF. By RAW, it only matters if the "last hit" is nonlethal, otherwise it's just treated as damage reducing SP and HP. I think I want to keep track of any nonlethal damage taken so if someone is reduced to 0 or lower HP to check it versus the nonlethal damage to see if they die, go unconscious and are dying or go unconscious and are stable. At this point all nonlethal hp disappears. What I'm going to do is have a separate bar for stamina and hp (one double bar) where I add nonlethal damage to the hp bar and temp hp to the stamina bar. So, nonlethal will reduce SP like regular damage but when reducing hp, it'll show the difference. So when all the green goes away (hp), red from the right, aqua from the left for nonlethal, then they go unconscious and the aqua is cleared. Basically, this will help PC survive better if they take any nonlethal that would do hp damage. Protects them from massive damage as well.

For example, if at 1 hp (20 max) with 10 nonlethal normally all it takes is 21 damage for massive damage, but since they have 10 nonlethal it reduces it by 10, so only -11 hp which isn't equal to max hp, thus sparing them.

I'm thinking RP should be a bar as well since it directly ties in to dying.

bar 1: Health - green, Damage - red
bar 2: Stamina - yellow, Temp HP - aqua (black bg)

bar 3 (owner only) Resolve - purple? (white bg)

Maybe only have bar 3 show up when there is no stamina? I'm open to ideas. For now, I'm not going to worry about tracking nonlethal.

Return to “User Creations”