Does anyone have

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Dougal
Cave Troll

Does anyone have

Post by Dougal »

I seem to have taken on a daunting task of adding all the monsters to the pathfinder/3.5 framework. I am just wondering, does anyone out there have any of these already done that they will be willing to share.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Does anyone have

Post by aliasmask »

I can easily create monster tokens on the fly using d20pfsrd.com by copying the monster data and pasting it in to the pfStatBlockImport macro. It's been a huge time saver.

There is a fairly old repository of tokens here ( http://prpg.imarvintpa.com/ ) which should more or less work, but it does have an older format and may have some issues.

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

yeah I use statblock importer, but that really only works with PF monsters. 3.5 stat block import just don't give enough info. still have to go in and edit HP, stats, weapons, ect. Altho playing around with it is nice, maybe I will use those as my "starting" point for what I pull out of DM genie.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

My first impulse was to also "create all monsters needed" but to be honest it was a waste of time for me. For one, as my framework progressed, old tokens would get broken and/or needed to be updated again. And it would take hours and hours to produce tokens I may never ever need.

Given the statblock importers (and my hero lab importer) it's pretty quick to make a token (take longer to find cool artwork I want to use by far) so I just make em as I need em. I will go and make all the Random Monsters needed for an adventure up front but that's about it.

If you use HeroLab, 90% of them already have the normal picture needed, so if I need one on the fly, I can create one from a portfolio in seconds (if I don't mind a square pic vs nice round token) or take a minute to create a token as well, save in portfolio, then create the token.

If you just want he "artwork" I do have a giant library of tokens I found for 3.5 creatures (a lot of overlap with Pathfinder). Still need stats. Are you specifically running a 3.5 or pathfinder (that you also use 3.5 creatures)?
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:My first impulse was to also "create all monsters needed" but to be honest it was a waste of time for me. For one, as my framework progressed, old tokens would get broken and/or needed to be updated again. And it would take hours and hours to produce tokens I may never ever need.
This is so true.

If I was going to do anything like prep a static monster library it would be more for just having the token images ready to go. At most I'd just cut and paste the raw statblocks into a token's GM notes... and then parse it during prep time for a game since frameworks are almost always works in progress.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

I tend to use DM genie. it seemed to work quicker for me, and the scrypting for it is closer to my native known programming language. Using the pathfinder stat block from the site linked earlier lets me make them pretty quick for monsters. NPCs take longer, but I go into a lot of detail making them anyhow.

Return to “User Creations”