Wanted: Overhead Character Images

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Wanted: Overhead Character Images

Post by dorpond »

I plan on having my player tokens framed but the NPC's and Monsters will not be framed. Instead, they will just be PNG's nicely cut around the object so they look as if they are part of the map. (interesting how that candle stick holder just moved!)

Anyway, I am seeking out any PNG's that are overhead views of everyday people so my market/town/pub/etc encounters look and feel real. This type of playing will actually make it much better for a rogue type character in your party because they can see wanderers and know their actual posistion. Or pick pocketing that patron who walks past the table you are hiding under :)

Anyway, if anyone has any overhead images of characters, can you please post them?

Example:
(disregard the voice bubbles. Those were added via photoshop for a request example)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The overhead tokens from Devinnight of Four Ugly Monsters are great, if a wee bit on the small size, and I think they are a terrific value for the money.

Not that I would complain if another talented person was to upload some more here of course. :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I have some on my site, but most are monsters or adventurers. I can try doing some "normal" people, D&D type I'm guessing, e.g. medieval style.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

That would be Great!

Thanks!

It would be nice having the standing around emoting ones (hand gestures) and sitting ones too (for a bar, throne, discussion table, bedrooms)

I am not familiar with your 3D tools; is it easy to do to simply move a limb here and there and doing another snapshot? If so, it would be great having the same type of toon with different emotes.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

dorpond wrote:That would be Great!

Thanks!

It would be nice having the standing around emoting ones (hand gestures) and sitting ones too (for a bar, throne, discussion table, bedrooms)

I am not familiar with your 3D tools; is it easy to do to simply move a limb here and there and doing another snapshot? If so, it would be great having the same type of toon with different emotes.
That's exactly what can be done. Move an arm, head, finger, torso, leg, sometimes even the hair can be "styled" separately. Period clothing would be my only downfall, a lot of my stuff is modern and sci-fi.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

How do you get clothes? Do you have to buy it as a seperate add-on pack?

If so, how much is it? :D

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

That's a pretty big question. There are a number of characers and each typically needs it's own set of clothing. There are some freebies out there, but usually they aren't very good, but might do for our purposes.

How are these for starters?

Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Look around http://www.daz3d.com to see if there's a particular outfit you want on a character. There's a chance that if Steel Rat doesn't already have it, I might.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:Look around http://www.daz3d.com to see if there's a particular outfit you want on a character. There's a chance that if Steel Rat doesn't already have it, I might.
And http://www.renderosity.com, which probablty has a larger and less expensive collection. There is also http://3dcommune.com, among numerous others.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Oh those 4 are great already!!

I like the one that looks like there could be a mug in his hand! A few object PNG's tp stamp on the table will be AWESOME!

*Dorpond feels a heart attack coming on*

Thanks guys! I will look at those sites right away.

Something to think about: These images are not going to be right in your face on the maps so clothing detail might not even show up. What might be more important is making them with different colors and having cloths with obvious differences like Dress vs. Shirt vs. Suspenders vs. Armor. Whether it has a pocket in the shirt doesn't matter because we won't see it anyway.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

-Riding a horse emote?
-Standing at the bar emote (one arm on the bar, one leg on the foot thingy)
-Sitting around a table negotiating (some listening, some talking, some pointing at things on the table)
-Some carrying bags or a sack over their shoulder? (thinking shoppers)

Just ideas :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Steel Rat wrote:Period clothing would be my only downfall, a lot of my stuff is modern and sci-fi.
Modern and Sci-Fi is good :)
Game On!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

There are 11 altogether of that one guy on my site (in my signature.). Emryys, there are already a good number of moderrn and sci-fi on that site as well. I didn't post them here, and won't because they're not specific to Maptool, and I don't like duplicating my efforts if I can help it, lol.

I can do a lot more with different figures, it will take time though. Is the size good? I figure you can scale them as needed.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:I didn't post them here, and won't because they're not specific to Maptool, and I don't like duplicating my efforts if I can help it, lol.
I highly encourage promoting your site as much as you can :)

Maybe we should create a "Preferred Affiliate" list that contains people and tools that we directly associate with. Help filter out the good stuff from the noise :) Perhaps some cross linking of some kind.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:
Steel Rat wrote:I didn't post them here, and won't because they're not specific to Maptool, and I don't like duplicating my efforts if I can help it, lol.
I highly encourage promoting your site as much as you can :)

Maybe we should create a "Preferred Affiliate" list that contains people and tools that we directly associate with. Help filter out the good stuff from the noise :) Perhaps some cross linking of some kind.
Sounds good to me. I don't have a lot of space on my archive for links, but I can make some I think. I also have an RPG business site where we can certainly cross-promote. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it further.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Return to “User Creations”