Vry's Perpetual Dungeon (Test 1)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

heruca wrote:These are great, Vry!

Did you consider doing them as PNGs? Leaving off the solid wall background would make them much more flexible in how the pieces can be combined, IMO.
Hey Heruca, don't know if you followed the map repository thread, but you should take a look at rpgmapshare.com and perhaps link to it on your links page.

Good non-tool specific maps for all !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:I've considered many different ways of doing this, but keep coming up with the question of which is more important: Usability or Flexability.

On one end of the spectrum, we'd have already furnished rooms with a few different styles and larger hallway pieces. This style makes it extremely quick to throw a workable dungeon together, but doesn't offer much in the way of creativity.

On the other end would be tons of tiny files most likely each one being a single tile that you would build the dungeon piece by piece like LEGOs. Lots of options as to how to put it together, but it'd probably take as much time as just doing the dungeon in Dundjinni or whateverinstead.

Right now, it's somewhere in the middle. What way would you all prefer?
Why not both? Two different sets.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Hey Heruca, don't know if you followed the map repository thread, but you should take a look at rpgmapshare.com and perhaps link to it on your links page.

Heruca and I communicate (and game together on my forum) so yeah, I posted in his links section a couple days ago.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Steel Rat wrote:Why not both? Two different sets.
Because that's more work for me. :P

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:
Steel Rat wrote:Why not both? Two different sets.
Because that's more work for me. :P
Doh! :wink:

Well there ya go. Then I would say go with whichever floats your boat.

And to answer your previous question, The one or two times I tried the CP link in Poser it didn't work, so I stopped trying.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

trevor wrote:Hey Heruca, don't know if you followed the map repository thread, but you should take a look at rpgmapshare.com and perhaps link to it on your links page.

Yeah, I will do that. Even though SR already posted a link in the forums, I think it'll get much more visibility on the main site's Links & Resources page.

I totally support a central map repository.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Vry wrote:I've also tinkered with the idea of having all of the rooms start out closed on all sides, and the hallways be transparent .PNGs that you slightly overlap to intersect them.

This method would mean I wouldn't need those four different versions of each room size. There would be just one and you'd place as many openings as you want.
That sounds like the way to go, regardless of whether you pre-furnish the rooms or not.

Check out Hador's work, along similar lines:
http://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?t=42235

Also, have you seen these programs, yet?

http://www.sev.org/members/bmazur/dndminis/mtm.html
http://www.rpgobjects.com/tiles/tile_organizer.php

trevor

Post by trevor »

heruca wrote:
Vry wrote:I've also tinkered with the idea of having all of the rooms start out closed on all sides, and the hallways be transparent .PNGs that you slightly overlap to intersect them.

This method would mean I wouldn't need those four different versions of each room size. There would be just one and you'd place as many openings as you want.
That sounds like the way to go, regardless of whether you pre-furnish the rooms or not.

Check out Hador's work, along similar lines:
http://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?t=42235

Also, have you seen these programs, yet?

http://www.sev.org/members/bmazur/dndminis/mtm.html
http://www.rpgobjects.com/tiles/tile_organizer.php
Thanks for the links, added to our Links page.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Benimoto has another version of his tilemaker at
http://www.sev.org/members/bmazur/dndminis/dmm.html

It's not as full-featured as the one you linked above, but has a much larger canvas.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Update:

I was having some problems getting the transparent edges to look right at 40DPP.P.CGI (DotPixelPoints Per CelGridInch) so I decided to try a complete remake of it at 150 to see how it would look.

It does look much nicer, and the extra room allowed me to get the edge transparency effect to work better, but the filesize for one simple 4x4(6x6 including the walls) room was 1.8meg.

Alone, that's not so bad, but when you think about dozens of different tiles having to be used for a map and all sent to the players, it could get out of hand.

trevor

Post by trevor »

What I'd like to do is make it possible to drop a zip file of images into the image explorer and have it show up as a root. That way you can have all your people download and "install" the image component pre-game.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Except for the filesize issues, I'm liking the way these .PNG versions are turning out.

In this greatly reduced example you can see that you'd start by placing some of rooms and halls pretty much as with the last set, but now you can place rooms a tile closer together than with the .JPG version.

After the rooms and halls are placed, you use little connector bits (going to need to be able to set those to always be on top) on top to link it all together.

The connectors don't work very well right now if placed at the side of two rooms rather than in the center. May have to make a lot of different types in order to handle various special cases.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Have you made any progress on this project, Vry?

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Kind of just waiting around for stamp support to get ironed out at this point.

There are some issues with various pieces being a pixel or so off and I'm not sure how much of it is MapTool and how much is problems with the images.

Because of the potential filesize/transfer issues at 150 DPI, the latest couple test pieces have been at 75 DPI.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:Update:

I was having some problems getting the transparent edges to look right at 40DPP.P.CGI (DotPixelPoints Per CelGridInch) so I decided to try a complete remake of it at 150 to see how it would look.

It does look much nicer, and the extra room allowed me to get the edge transparency effect to work better, but the filesize for one simple 4x4(6x6 including the walls) room was 1.8meg.

Alone, that's not so bad, but when you think about dozens of different tiles having to be used for a map and all sent to the players, it could get out of hand.
Is that 1.8 meg memory or disk? Are you compressing the PNGs at all? Not sure I'm understanding, is that one tile? Or one tile set that's 1.8 meg?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Return to “User Creations”