Vry's Perpetual Dungeon (Test 1)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Vry
Giant

Vry's Perpetual Dungeon (Test 1)

Post by Vry »

http://www.magist.com/vry/DungeonParts1.zip

This is the first set of tiles that will *hopefully* be able to be used in MapTool in the-not-too-distant-future for making quick dungeons when your players blindside you with an unexpected move.

When put together, they should look something like this:
Except without the cavern sections as they are still having some tiling issues.

Not sure if anyone will be able to get any use out of them right now though.

Future additions include the caverns set mentioned above, a sewer set that is having similar tiling problems, and dungeon decor.

I also want to try making something like this for building cities, but that's a much larger task than simple dungeons.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

These are very cool! Would love to see how they do closer up in Maptool, say zoomed in to one room for gaming purposes.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

In theory they'd be the same as my maps in the gallery here, since I scaled those versions down to 40 DPI as well.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

These images will help out for development, thanks Vry !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:In theory they'd be the same as my maps in the gallery here, since I scaled those versions down to 40 DPI as well.
Nice. I still don't know a lot about graphics so all my assumptions could be way off about DPI and such.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

DPI probably isn't even the right term to use here since we're not printing dots and there are no inches involved.

It just sounds better than Pixels Per Grid-line. *shrug*

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I guess the more correct term would be Pixels Per Inch. Or just plain image density.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Pixels per cell maybe ?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Of course, if we assume that one cell takes up one inch, then dpi would fit perfectly :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

I opened the "Floor1x1.jpg" and got these stats...

Dimensions: 40x40 pixels
0.267x0.267 inches
Pixels per Inch: 150
Pixel Depth/colors 24/16 million

So this translates to 150 dpi

They look good and useful Vry! :)
Game On!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ah, that makes more sense. 40 dpi is pretty low, lower than standard screen res of 72 dpi, so it would look REALLY bad. 150 dpi/ppi is much better and would look pretty good I think.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

They're still not *really* 150 DPI, that's just a leftover from these being made on my standard map template.

The "1x1" at the end of that filename means that was 1 tile height by 1 tile length, and as you said, the dimensions are 40 pixels by 40 pixels.

Because 1 tile simulates 1 inch if this was on a table with miniatures it is really 40 pixels/dots/points per inch/cell/grid.

All the stated DPI of 150 means is that they would print smaller than intended. Thanks for pointing that out, I need to go correct those.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

These are great, Vry!

Did you consider doing them as PNGs? Leaving off the solid wall background would make them much more flexible in how the pieces can be combined, IMO.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

I've considered many different ways of doing this, but keep coming up with the question of which is more important: Usability or Flexability.

On one end of the spectrum, we'd have already furnished rooms with a few different styles and larger hallway pieces. This style makes it extremely quick to throw a workable dungeon together, but doesn't offer much in the way of creativity.

On the other end would be tons of tiny files most likely each one being a single tile that you would build the dungeon piece by piece like LEGOs. Lots of options as to how to put it together, but it'd probably take as much time as just doing the dungeon in Dundjinni or whateverinstead.

Right now, it's somewhere in the middle. What way would you all prefer?

I've also tinkered with the idea of having all of the rooms start out closed on all sides, and the hallways be transparent .PNGs that you slightly overlap to intersect them.

This method would mean I wouldn't need those four different versions of each room size. There would be just one and you'd place as many openings as you want.

I've been holding off on developping that idea any further till I see how the layering is going to work in MapTool.

This is very much still a work in progress and will likely change dramatically before an actual full release. So any suggestions on better ways to do this are greatly apprectiated.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Look like they have real potential value for GMs needing to quickly construct a basic dungeon environment. Nice work.

I'm starting to like the Pixels Per Grid designation though Pixels Per Cell also works.

Return to “User Creations”