Vry's Perpetual Dungeon (Test 1)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Yeah, doing something similar for outdoor encounters sounds a lot trickier.

But I can easily imagine some sort of modular castle pieces.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Nice to see someone using them; out of curiosity, why didn't you use one of the "connector" pieces where the hall meets the room and walls around the stairs? Do I need to do a better write-up of how to use those?

For example, here's how your layout would look with those changes.

Using the connector piece makes the walls come together right and removes the shadow sticking out at the door.

On the stairs, I built the hallway as normal then put the stair stamp on top.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I would welcome a couple more explicit examples of using the connector pieces where rooms and/or hallways are adjacent to each other.

I was having a real problem trying to use them in MapTool because large token movement is messed up right now. Also without labels in the token display window just figuring out what is what isn't easy. I ended up dropping them all on the map and turning on labels.

Also it appears that things labeled, for example, Room4x4 actually need to be set to a size that equates to 6x6 squares. Basically adding 2 in each dimension.

Boy it sure would be nice MT could read the PPC (aka DPI) out of the file and automatically size things. :twisted:

But even though I'm too dumb to figure out how to use them they look great when Heruca uses them. :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Vry, I am uncertain what I should be looking for in your version. Can you point it out?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Dorpond, look at the area just above and blow the door on both images. The walls don't have extra shadow over them on Vry's. Also the stairs now have wall outlines around them.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

I think he means that on my version, there's a slight shadown just inside the 4x4 room, beside the door.

Another difference is the white "glow" around the stairs. I wanted it to be like Vry's, but wasn't as familiar with the dungeon pieces and their proper use.

One concern I have from looking at Vry's picture: In MapTool, can the square grid be drawn over the dungeon tiles? Because it can get a bit confusing to position tokens in a particular grid square in a very large room if you can't see the grid. The problem is compounded if using a hex grid.
Last edited by heruca on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Vry wrote:Out of curiosity, why didn't you use one of the "connector" pieces where the hall meets the room and walls around the stairs? Do I need to do a better write-up of how to use those?
Your write up is pretty good. I just rushed a bit too much, and wasn't as familiar with all the options and pieces.

One thing I'd suggest to anyone wanting to use these is to print out a hardcopy list of all the available tiles, to use as a reference when assembling your maps. If I get some time, I'd be happy to make a nice PDF "legend" and post a link to it here. But I'll wait until the rest of the pieces are done in the new format, first.
Vry wrote:On the stairs, I built the hallway as normal then put the stair stamp on top.
Neat trick!

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Just added some new versions to the gallery that have the connector already built in. These should be a little easier to use.

Also added a new version of the wall light, Wall LightS.png in the decor album because when re-creating heruca's example I noticed that the non-square Wall Light.png wasn't aligning properly when rotated in MapTool.

Return to “User Creations”