Forever Map Request

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

RPTroll
TheBard

Forever Map Request

Post by RPTroll »

There are two really, really nice default maps that come with MapTool.

As an experiment I made them unbounded to see what that would look like. The 'green' one almost works. Many of the roads connect. It got me to thinking so I'm going to put out a request to our graphics-talented community.

Could one of you talented people gen up a somewhat large image that looks like the default 'green' map but is tile-able? It doesn't need all the features of the green map but some roads and water would be nice. This way we can run large encounters over a large area without the need to do a lot of stamp work.

Extending this thought, you could do the following.
The image described above becomes a stamp in a set of map stamps that the dm places on an unbounded map so, for instance, you could have your castle in the middle of a set of town stamps thats surrounded by a set of wall stamps that surrounded by a set of country-side stamps. The total memory taken up by the map is much smaller than if you loaded a map that size from an image.

Does that make sense?

The concept comes from some of those old Avalon Hill games where you build random maps out of map tiles that alway connect regardless of how you put them on the table.

Thanks,
Troll
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I see what you mean. I was lost at first until I actually loaded the map you are talking about..

Hmm - nice theory

I think making about 6 large stamps that all connect to each other would be neat and so would the unbound idea you have..

Now - I only need to find the time :)

Nice thread and great idea!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

With my limited time, this was the best I could do with that default map. Open this map unbound and tell me if you think it matches up better 8)

The map wasn't designed for tiling but it comes really close like you said. This modified version I made brings it together better but is still not perfect to the trained eye :wink:

Is this what you were saying though?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Oh, plus the grid lines kinda screwed my options :)

I will see if Vry (original author?) has a non-grid version and see what I can do when time is available - gotta rush! Later!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Wow, that was quick. I'll give it a shot.

For the final stampable version, I'm guessing we'll want it square so you can rotate it as needed for variety.

Thanks D!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Here is another attempt at making Vrys great picture seamless. Open it unbound and you will see it works rather well (better, but not perfect).

I didn't want to change the actual artwork of Vry's map so it is the best I can do under the circumstances.

Vry, hope you don't mind me helping RPTroll on this example.

Return to “User Creations”