Hex Tokens: How?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Hex Tokens: How?

Post by dorpond »

Hey Phergus, I have been slacking with the token and frame making lately and wanted to catch up by making some Hex goodies for the community since I have so many different textures.

Any advice how to approach this in Photoshop? Are there any pitfalls I should keep an eye out for?

Just wanted to ask before I got in too deep :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You think I should know? :) You confusing me for an artist?

I use GIMP so can't really offer any Photoshop advice. To give me a base hex shape I used an SVG file which I pulled from the source of all knowledge - Wikipedia. :)

Hexagon Entry

You can download the SVG (Structured Vector Graphic IIRC) from there. GIMP will allow you to create a bitmap from it at the size you want. I would expect Photoshop can do the same thing.

Just set the vertical height to be the cell size I wanted and went from there.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Here's the sample hex overlay I made for the sometime in the not too distant future advanced tokentool overlays.

Put the Mask in a new channel, have the overlay on a layer with the character on a layer below it, load a selection from the alpha channel, copy merged, paste in a new file, delete the background and save.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

AHHHHh!

Frustrated!!

I cannot make an equal sided Hex for the life of me in Photoshop! When I use the Hex tool, it fills it in and then I cannot edit anything with it!

If someone can paint me out a plain black outlined HEX, I could work with that as a template. Just a black (not filled) lined Hex..

:evil:

I really want to help you, I really do! ;)

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Right click on the layer with the hex, click "Rasterize Layer"

Click Select -> Load Selection -> Shape Whatever Transparency.

Select -> Modify -> Contract -> However thick you want it to be.

Delete.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Thanks Vry!

That worked great! Another feature that I still have no clue on what it does but proves valuable :)

Return to “User Creations”