Overland Map Icons

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

RPTroll
TheBard

Overland Map Icons

Post by RPTroll »

Anyone have a web site that contains icons for fantasy overland maps?

I'm looking for stuff to denote villages, towns, cities, ports, and points of interest.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Re: Overland Map Icons

Post by Steel Rat »

RPTroll wrote:Anyone have a web site that contains icons for fantasy overland maps?

I'm looking for stuff to denote villages, towns, cities, ports, and points of interest.
I've got a category for it on my site, but sadly nothing really there for fantasy. Just never got around to doing much with them. You looking for top-down or more like CC2 with an isometric sort of view?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I've got an existing overland map in sepia I want to add stuff to. I plan to use a hex grid and stamp it with the icons representing fortresses, towns, villages, cities, and encounter locations. That way, as war ravages the towns and cities I can change the icons to reflect who occupies them and their state of health. Most of the stamps will remain invisible until the players actually get to the town or until the aquire a map of the area.

I also plan to mark encounter locations and (invisible to the players) the location of enemy forces.

So for that I"d like to get my hands on some generic icons to place on the map.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Here you can find some abstract symbols:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... p?TID=7051

Also try Darkness' Campaign World Art pack:
http://www.dundjinni.com/art/user_art.asp

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I guess our previous discussion today spawned this question.

Are these free to redistribute or use on maps I might share with others?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The requirements of the forum are that anything posted there be free from copyright and usable for any purpose.

You can read the forum posting guidelines here:

Forum Rules

But you had better say thank you or you'll get in trouble. :twisted:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I was actually going to play like this too RPTroll ( I think we are talking the same thing ).

It was actually going to be more lilke the mapping function of World of Warcraft.

The whole inside of the map will be FoW (inside meaning that they will be able to see the borders fine). When the party starts to travel, I slowly start to reveal parts of the overland. If they happen to get information in town about a town or location, I remove the FoW covering that town or city. if the party is traveling through the woods, the FoW might reveal a crater or cave -- it makes exploring the whole area fun.

As a GM, I can have certain areas populated with certain random encounters. When they enter those areas, I can just do a random check (DMGENIE does this well) and have it create the encounter.

Anyway, I know what you are asking - it would be nice to have castles, towns and villages.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

There is a free campaign mapping tool called Autorealm that has those kinds of symbols in it. In the same category as Campaign Cartographer but easier to use (if slightly more buggy).

You could grab that and then put any of the symbols you need on a blank map. Export it at a resolution good enought to make tokens from and then use TokenTool to make tokens from the exported bitmap.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

RPTroll wrote:Are these free to redistribute or use on maps I might share with others?
Regarding Darkness's Campaign World art pack:
"This art is free for all to use without restriction. If you like it then the artist encourages you to donate a few bucks to any charity such as...

Donate to the Make-A-Wish Foundation."

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

dorpond wrote:I was actually going to play like this too RPTroll ( I think we are talking the same thing ).
Emryys once said that we were all looking for basically the same thing we just disagree a bit on how to get there.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

RPTroll, have you looked at Hexmapper from Arr-Kelaan. It makes OS maps like the world of GreyHawk style...
There are icons in there, but they're not of the DJ quality/style... Cool OS look though ;)
Game On!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Most of my gamers are looking for functional vs. golly gee whiz although I do have one guy that went ape caca over Vry's maps. So now that's become our standard outdoor battle map.

The link posted by Herc had some stuff I might be able to use a terrain stamps. I'm still trying to figure out is if this is going to work. It will first required hexes work properly. (poke)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Emryys wrote:RPTroll, have you looked at Hexmapper from Arr-Kelaan. It makes OS maps like the world of GreyHawk style...
There are icons in there, but they're not of the DJ quality/style... Cool OS look though ;)
Windows 95 VB :shock:

I need stuff that runs on my linux box.
Maybe I can snitch the map key stuff though.

Monty
Kobold

Post by Monty »

I have taken 58 symbols from AutoRealm for my use so if you want them as weel I have attached them so you can use them if you want.
I aimed to make them around 200 px each to retain some quality when used in Maptool so hopefully it will be useful for anybody looking for this kind of symbols.
Attachments
AutoRealm_Symbols.rar
(84.18 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

What's the licensing on these images. Did you create them, did they come from the program where it specifies they are open source and you're allowed to distribute them?

Return to “User Creations”