As Requested: Cobblestone Quick Map

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

As Requested: Cobblestone Quick Map

Post by dorpond »

OK, I put together this cobblestone that is 41k in size. It was a stickler to do as a tileable quick map (due to patterns) but I pulled it off after about 3 hours.

Load map as unbound and you have as much street as you need to create your quick city/town encounter.

My next test - to take this and hopefully add buildings to create a city block that is unbound. This way you could quickly have a city encounter with road and buildings already created. I think I will do the same with a road - one that goes on forever; plop down some trees, horses, carts and fight!!

After 4 minutes with building stamps (Thanks Hylas), I had a quick encounter as shown in this example:

Last edited by dorpond on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Pretty :) Added as new quickmap.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Also, I would like to thank Targeteron for making the cobblestone that I used as the basis to the end result. After modifying most of them in photoshop and switching around rocks to prevent patterns, I came up with the end result above.

His original work can be found here: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... obblestone

Thanks again!
Last edited by dorpond on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Very nice! All the ones I come up with just have patterns that are too obvious unless zoomed in closely.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Steel Rat wrote:Very nice! All the ones I come up with just have patterns that are too obvious unless zoomed in closely.
Thanks!

Yeah, those patterns are a real kicker and take the most time to correct. If it weren't for Photoshop, I'd be doomed.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

You're a better man than I. That's for sure.

I'll go ahead and render some up then and let you give them a shot at your leisure, if you like. i have some nice cobblestone textures.

also, smaller unbound map tiles might work better as well. Something like some of your floor tiles, Dorpond, in just a 200x200 or 400x400 block would still tile very nicely.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Steel Rat wrote:You're a better man than I. That's for sure.

I'll go ahead and render some up then and let you give them a shot at your leisure, if you like. I have some nice cobblestone textures.

also, smaller unbound map tiles might work better as well. Something like some of your floor tiles, Dorpond, in just a 200x200 or 400x400 block would still tile very nicely.
Actually, those floor stamps I made are on my todo list also but due to the complex patterns, I am not sure I can do a square tile that will line up correctly with them. That was the whole reason for the stamps - to allow more complex patterns than the standard square ones.. I was going to try though anyway :)

Worst case scenario, I will have to make the simple square tile layouts for the quick maps.

Is there a color you had in mind for a tiled floor?

Also, if there are other cobblestones you have - send them my way!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Steel Rat wrote:You're a better man than I. That's for sure.
Naw, I just get lucky sometimes! :P

I play darts all of about one game a year. I really stink at it. One night (about 10 years ago) while coming back from a darn Yankees / Skynyrd concert, the half drunken gang (including me) decided to go to a bar for a few shots and hit on some ladies. I was asked to play a game of darts with my friends so I did and it was down to the wire - I only needed 3 bulls to win. I threw those three darts and landed every single one of them in the bullseye.

1. I was a drunken fool.
2. I never threw 3 bulls in my whole life.
3. I haven't been able to do it since..

I wasn't a better man, I just got lucky :P :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

lol, you sure they all landed in the bullseye? Or maybe everyone was too drunk to tell where they actually were, e.g. eyeball, drink, stripper...
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Return to “User Creations”