Unbound Map: Town

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Except that stripping out the images and saving them takes up a lot of disk space the more images you have. Which is why Dundjinni doesn't do it.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Fortunately, saving a couple 10k images is a drop in the bucket on 100+gig hard drives :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Fortunately, saving a couple 10k images is a drop in the bucket on 100+gig hard drives :)
lol, and with all the 3d stuff I do, my 40 gig, 120 gig, and 80 gig are all struggling for space.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

On a related feature, we've talked about (and giliath started writing some code a long while back) to suppose image bundles. That is, you can drop a zip file into the image explorer and have it show up as a root. That way you can have a "Western Town" bundle that you can distribute, which would make it a little easier to keep together.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

That would be nice but I still think it would be nice to go the other way around - to create bundles in Maptool and save them.

Then we can make:

Set Tables (the cups, plates, etc, will all be interactable)
Filled Wagons (All the stuff is inside ready to grab!)
Filled Barrels and Crates (What? it's empty now?)

and a slew of other things!

So to make a map, I can just drag these to the map and voila! That makes me think a moment - it would also be nice to have the bundles established on the tree somehow. This way can find them just as easily as a regular object.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:That would be nice but I still think it would be nice to go the other way around - to create bundles in Maptool and save them.
Think of the bundles as being a step above the grouped token save.

That is, when we talk about creating a loadable bundle, I envision that the image explorer will automatically be able to recognize and handle them directly from the file system. So they show up as a group in the image explorer and can be drag-dropped into the map.

Now take that concept and create an image bundle with the token bundle inside of it :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, I have thought about the cobblestone. Some of you have mentioned that it looks too clean so I tried to dirty it up a bit but still being able to defeat the pattern gods.

Is this what you had in mind?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I like it though I might bump the contrast some so that the tops of the cobbles are more shiny and the space in between is darker.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I like them both. And an even more overgrown set for those abandoned gloomy places.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor, let's talk.

I need to ask you some technical questions on what will work better as far as memory is considered.

Let's say I want to just create several block stamps and instead of loading one unbound map, the users stamped down blocks to make a city. How will that be handled memory wise?

This is why I ask:
I eventually want to make a city with buildings without roof tops. The buildings will have rooms and such already made. The GM could plop down some roofs to cover the buildings. (You know where I am going with this). The thing is though, the maps will have to be higher quality and I will have to make one block at a time but being a stamp, how would that affect the performace of Maptool if I would stamp 4 city blocks? Is it just as much overhead as if I actually made one map of 4 city blocks in photoshop or does maptool do some kind of magic to lower memory requirements.

Just curious. I am torn - do I go lower detailed unbound map or high detailed blocks as stamps...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Using stamps is basically a type of compression. Compression techniques use repetition to reduce size. The same principle applies here.

For anything that is repeated, and we can ignore rotation and scale, we can reduce to a single instance.

So, if you have four blocks that are all different, then it would be the same as a program like photoshop that has the entire image. On the other hand, if you create a 12 block city using 4 blocks, then you only use the memory for 4 blocks.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks for pursuing this Dorpond. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

One question for Trevor (I think you just answered this but I want to make sure): do you create another image instance in memory when you rotate or scale an image to be displayed in maptool?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote: One question for Trevor (I think you just answered this but I want to make sure): do you create another image instance in memory when you rotate or scale an image to be displayed in maptool?
Nope, it's all the same image. Java2D is really quick at rotating and scaling.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPTroll wrote:Thanks for pursuing this Dorpond. This is exactly what I've been looking for.
Not a problem at all :wink:

Since my mind is currently here at the moment - let us talk about physical size.

OK, when I first load Maptool, the grid size defaults to 40. Is that the resolution/size people want when we design building? In other words, should the building be designed around that size token?

It is nice to have a base to work off of.

When I made that cobblestone and such, I used grid 40 to size it against.

Let's start with that.

Return to “User Creations”