Unbound Map: Town

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Unbound Map: Town

Post by dorpond »

OK, I thought it would be fun to experiment a bit so I threw down some grass and a bit of cobblestone and then I contacted Hylas and asked him if it was cool to use his cool buildings for the RPTools project (which he said no problem btw). THANKS HYLAS!! :)

With his buildings and a bit of creativity, I was able to create a instant town section.

So many times, the party decides to throw a wrench into my games and they will fight in town or start a brawl in a tavern. Well now you DM's won't need to panic - just load this map as unbound and Voila!

Couple thoughts: it would be ideal if someone could make the basic maps (inside) of the houses on this map. This way if the players wish to run in a building, we can load a map that looks just like the ones here for them to play in.

There are two versions: One higher detailed and a 45k version (possible quickmap) for people who like small file sizes.

(High Res)

(Low Res)

And here is a quick example I threw together with stamps (took about 3 minutes (more to find the objects than anything):

(EXAMPLE)
Last edited by dorpond on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

And wow, what great city planners, all the streets are parallel and in evenly shaped blocks. Master planning at its best !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Looks great !

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah right! Crack wise! I see how it is!

:)

The intent isn't to create a full city but rather a block or two for that quick encounter.

If your friends are anything like mine, they take the tavern battle outside and run around buildings and stuff. This is where this map would help.

Definately not to create a whole town because it would look terribly repetitive.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Dorpond - you are going to force me to buy one of the new mice with the tilt wheels so that I can scroll side-to-side easier. :wink:

Nifty map though. :)

And your example reminds me of another suggestion I had.

In the Stamps and Background trees, it would be nice if items that have more than one instance, with the same name, could be lumped together with the qty appended to the end as further sub-trees.

Code: Select all

+---Building 20x50 (3)
|   +---Building 20x50 #1
|   +---Building 20x50 #2
|   \---Building 20x50 #3
+---Building 20x20 (2)
|   +---Building 20x20 #1
|   \---Building 20x20 #2
+---Train Tracks 20' (2)
|   +---Train Tracks 20' 
|   \---Train Tracks 20' 
Whaddya think Dorpond?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I also want to note that I was going to put trees, fences, barrels and other objects on the quick map to make it look nice but that defeats the purpose. I want this to be the basis for you to build upon. I will leave it to the GM to doll it up any way they want during game.

In case anyone thinks it is too basic :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:In the Stamps and Background trees, it would be nice if items that have more than one instance, with the same name, could be lumped together with the qty appended to the end as further sub-trees.

Code: Select all

+---Building 20x50 (3)
|   +---Building 20x50 #1
|   +---Building 20x50 #2
|   \---Building 20x50 #3
+---Building 20x20 (2)
|   +---Building 20x20 #1
|   \---Building 20x20 #2
+---Train Tracks 20' (2)
|   +---Train Tracks 20' 
|   \---Train Tracks 20' 
Whaddya think Dorpond?
I totally agree with you - anything to improve the organization of the items. When we start putting down 20,50, 100 items, we don't want a huge unorganized list, that is for sure!

Good idea!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

My next goal it to add more blocks so that there is more variety - the only problem why I stuck with a small section is because of file size.

Adding a block on both axises will greatly enlarge the file size.

Any thoughts? is it worth the effort or is the one I made above good enough for that pinch?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

IMHO repetitive is good. You could make one of these, then create a master stamp out of it so if your players went nuts you could place them side by side. It shouldn't use much more memory thant just the one instance of the backgroud.

If you want variety you could make a few versions as stamps and add as needed.

Once I get home and can play I'll post some tiles or review by you guys who actually know how to draw. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I think just a few of them would be plenty. Afterall this is for spur or the moment kind of situations. Make more later as the mood hits you.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, I still have a vision in my head and while it may take a while, I think with some hard work and the help of you guys, we can pull off something really neat.

So here is yet another test. I decided to take that town map and added another block. Then I decided to leave an area open for the GM to plop down something that pertains to the game (I might remove more buildings for this type of system). The idea was to be able to stamp down campaign specific things while under the gun of the players.

Again, think of all this a beta. Your opinions and help will be greatly welcomed :)

In my example, you can see that I made a cemetary stamp and just a cobblestone stamp. There are no limits with the kinds of stamps we could come up with and that is the exciting part of all this! You could make some kind of Government building stamp or even a stamp to cover a whole block! The nice thing about this is that we could create a modular city building kit to compliment the basic.

Feel free to play here - this is our tool and our playground. Any thoughts on any of this?

Once we get a cranking idea, we can put our efforts together and create the final artwork. I would love to have more building options instead of having repeats. We could also create the actual stamps so they look nicer.

The town can be downloaded here. It is 3.3Meg for those who wish to play.
http://www.rpgmapshare.com/modules/g2/d ... nLarge.jpg

Here are some example images that I quickly created (Not final version just quick examples to get my idea across):

Here is what they would look like in use:

Last edited by dorpond on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a pretty cool idea. and if the sizes are well known, it makes it very easy to use in the (planned) randomize feature.

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Looks pretty promising.

Some color variants of the building roofs for each basic building shape would go a long way towards creating a less-repetitive layout.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Oh, how stupid of me! I don't have to remove buildings to leave spaces for the stamps!

Using the cobblestone stamp, I can simply cover the houses. As you can see in this example, I made a unique city block with just a few cobblestone stamps.

Now we are on to something!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Wow, that's really well cobbled together.

*ducks and runs*
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “User Creations”