Buildings Project

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:We ought to put some of these buildings into the default MT build :)
Look at the size of each file; that will greatly increase the size of Maptools compared to what it currently is.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

trevor wrote:We ought to put some of these buildings into the default MT build :)
Sweet, I see my jedi Mind Trick are working.
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Hey dorpond,

I have download everything from both of the Galleries here and at RPG Share. Now I admit I have not gone through it all, but what are you using to create you stamps? I understand it a token not snapped to grid.
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

You lost me Big Mac.

I make my maps with Photoshop.
I make art with Photoshop.
I make the insides of my buildings with Photoshop to create a map.

When I plan on using them in MapTool, I will simply drag a building out to the map and change the property of the token and make it a background. This way the building is now part of the map.

Then, take the objects that you collected and drop one of them down. Change the property of that one to make it a stamp. Now everything you drop down will be a stamp. Once all of your stamps are in Maptool, now the players can interact with those objects.

If you are asking how I make the maps, then I just take downloaded objects and bring them into Photoshop. I can make a tutorial some day about how I go about doing it if you like. Basically, I draw everything out with patterns and Brushes that I have defined. So in a nut shell, I draw the walls first with a pattern stamp, then I fill in sections of the floor with a pattern fill. Then I start decorating. :)

If I didn't answer your question, try again. :)

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Sorry to many different thoughts going on in my head. What I think I meant to ask is:

Have you uploaded the individual objects(tables, chairs, etc.) to one of the gallery areas for us to use?
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Big_Mac wrote:Sorry to many different thoughts going on in my head. What I think I meant to ask is:

Have you uploaded the individual objects(tables, chairs, etc.) to one of the gallery areas for us to use?
I know how you feel! :wink:

I am going to DM in a few weeks so I am in a serious rush to get as many houses done as possible so I can REALLY wow them! :)

No, I didn't upload these objects since I didn't make most of those images; it is common practice to not upload other peoples art somewhere else.

So what I can do is tell you where I can get all the artwork that I use. This is my list:

www.dundjinni.com (I highly suggest buying Dundjinni because it is a great mapping program and they have a very active group there sharing artwork - check out their boards and you will find many objects and maps)

www.rpgmapshare.com (Steel Rat hosts this site and stores many images for us all to use)

www.gmsparlor.com (As stated on their site "My intent is for this site to become one of the best resources GMs have at their disposal")

Unfortunately due to Dundjinni not allow me to import templates, I have to use Photoshop to make these buildings. That is the only way I was able to size them up propery to the roof tops. No biggy though, I know Photoshop pretty well.

If you need help, please feel free to ask!

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Thanks

I play around with PS a bit and the step by steps are pretty good. It's just having the time to do more to practice. If I get into making more studd be prepared to be peppered with questions. :shock: :twisted:
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

How about this evil temple to go with roof Set1Misc5?

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Great idea.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Didn't have much time today but I was able to get one out anyway.

This is a blacksmith for the Set1Misc4b Roof:

Closed for shop:

Opened for shop:

Boy, I can't wait for other people to start making these! :lol:

I hope you enjoy!

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

dorpond wrote:Boy, I can't wait for other people to start making these! :lol:
Wait other people a going to help...

and I thought that you were on just such a roll that you'd keep on doing it. Now let me get the chains out and attach you to your computer. Image
--
Big Mac

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Another great building!
dorpond wrote:Boy, I can't wait for other people to start making these! :lol:
I'll give you a hand just as soon as I get you-know-what finished.

Perhaps I'll try a merchant's shop or something similar.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Great work Dorpond!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Thank you everyone!

The thing that takes the longest with doing these is finding the right parts and pieces.

This is a good thing that I am doing because I am starting to organize my Image folders as follows:
Temple
Blacksmith
Tavern

All the stuff that I would use in a blacksmith is in the blacksmith folder. This way, if I wanted to stamp something during game, I know wexctly where to go. I won't need any blacksmithing stuff when the party is in a temple. ;)

Of source I still have a generic folder that has all the common items like chairs, tables and doors.

Now that I have the parts and pieces need to make temples, blacksmiths and taverns, it shouldn't take long to make differnt versions of them.

Anyway.. thanks for the compliments everyone!

Return to “User Creations”