Buildings Project

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

dorpond
RPTools Team

Buildings Project

Post by dorpond »

OK, I am going to also be thinking about and working on another project that many of us think will be worth while.

That is the inside/outside build structures.

The idea is this: The GM stamps down the insides of building on a cobblestone road. He then takes the tops of the buildings and stamps them over the inside, covering it completely. To the player, it looks like a normal building but when they want to walk in, voila!

Now, to pull this off, we are going to have to try to keep a standard. As a test, I am going to stick to the default Grid 40 setting and size all my stuff around that. We can see how that looks. All opinions welcome.

In this example, you can see what I am thinking. We can actually create a stamp for each floor. Fun Stuff! Roof top below was made by Hylas - inside was made by me.

Two layers here. The top is laying over the bottom:

In this example, I just deleted the top half (Trevor we may need a better way to hide a stamp instead of deleting but something that is hidden by both the GM and Players):

These are just quick examples.

If anyone wants to help in this project, that will be great! All we need is to take the building that are available, size them down to something realistic to a 40 grid, 5' character token, and create the inside of it. You can post the finished insides here in this thread.

Another Fun Project! :)
Last edited by dorpond on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

[edited]

Feel free to make empty and furnished buildings. There will be a need for both - when the GM has time, he will probably want empty buildings so he can place objects in the build to interact with; if he is in a cruch for time, a furnished building will prove very usefull.

All builidngs are good! Variety is the key to making this project cool.
Last edited by dorpond on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Buildings Project

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Trevor we may need a better way to hide a stamp instead of deleting but something that is hidden by both the GM and Players
One option that is a combination of several other people's ideas:

- select a group of tokens, RMB->Group, creates a group in the token tree panel, which can then be RMB->Show/Hide.

This in essence gives you the ability to name groups of tokens, then selectively show/hide them.

It can't work exactly like this if we allow a token to be in more than one group (which property should it take when two groups have conflicting state), but it might be worth persuing this general direction.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I guess that chimney is for the upstairs only? ;)

Very cool idea though. If there's a specific way I can help...
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

This is a fudge but you could stack stamps like you do with stacked tokens. Then you would select, the stack indicator to get a list (we'd want a name for the stamps on the popup I think) and select the one you want on top. Problem is if you have different people on different floors they will stay in place while the stamps change under them. In this case you want to make a different zone for each floor the delete the zones once the encounter is complete.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, I was aware of that Steel :wink:
Like I said though, those were just quick examples.

Trevor, what kind of overhead do you think this will create though? Take a look at the memory being used just for this one map. The map only had Cobblestone, Building Bottom and Building Top. The building decorations were hardcoaded into the map in this example so there was no Maptool overhead with those images.

Any thoughts? Do you think it would be even possible to have a block of buildings or even 3 or 4 unique buildings together?

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Looking good, Dorpond.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Excellent... O' Chief Artist! :)

Western Buildings would be cool!... Hint... Hint...
Game On!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Emryys wrote:Excellent... O' Chief Artist! :)
Correction: Coordinator, not Artist. Big difference - I can't draw a darn thing if my life depended on it! :wink:

We need artists!!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

How about Chief Graphical Engineer. :-)

Scientist invent things
Craftsmen build things
Engineers actively steal the work of others (code reuse) to create something new and different. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPTroll wrote:How about Chief Graphical Engineer. :-)

Scientist invent things
Craftsmen build things
Engineers actively steal the work of others (code reuse) to create something new and different. :-)
Now you are on to something! :wink:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I have one building complete. It is VERY generic but it is one step closer to the final goal. It is empty so the GM has the ability to put interactable items in the house. Plop down some tables, chairs, windows, doors and watch your players, as their jaws drops when windows break, coins get stolen and npc's flip tables. ;)

Unfortunately, I was unable to use Dundjinni to make the map because I needed to trace around the roof to make the insides match so I ended up using Photoshop. I am not 100% happy with the end result but it is something anyway. I will only get better with practice. If anyone has a trick where I could do this in Dundjinni, let me know.

Hylas, I removed the chimney because it didn't fit in this design. Inside 2 will utilize it though :)

The three pieces can be downloaded here:
http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... temId=8021

Here is an example of the 3 pieces:

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Nice.

It might be worth including the roof of the porch on the upper story map, so PCs can stand on it if they climb out a window.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

heruca wrote:Nice.

It might be worth including the roof of the porch on the upper story map, so PCs can stand on it if they climb out a window.
You know, I was wondering about that - my thoughts were that the overhang would hang over the second story windows.

So I opted to make it so the players could look out the window, (which would have to be stamped in) down at the people coming in and out of the tavern.

Hmmm...

Well maybe that will be for version 2 ;)

I guess I have room for an attic too :)
Last edited by dorpond on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Nicely done.

Return to “User Creations”