Buildings Project

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Very cool examples!

How did you cut out the door for the stable in the bottom section? Or did I miss something during my mind control experiments?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Steel Rat wrote:Very cool examples!

How did you cut out the door for the stable in the bottom section? Or did I miss something during my mind control experiments?
I didn't cut them. I got them here:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... uble+doors

Thanks Cecil! (if you are out here listening) :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Right, but there was a solid wall there before the door was added. What did away with the solid wall where the open door now sits?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Looks like Dorpond is having fun today.

The examples are not only really well done, they also show the wide range of variety that can be attained from using the same basic floorplan.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Steel Rat wrote:Right, but there was a solid wall there before the door was added. What did away with the solid wall where the open door now sits?
Well if it was me I would have grabbed a chunk of floor the width I wanted the door and pasted it over the wall. Blend the edges and then throw down some straw to cover up my edits. Place the open door over that.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:
Steel Rat wrote:Right, but there was a solid wall there before the door was added. What did away with the solid wall where the open door now sits?
Well if it was me I would have grabbed a chunk of floor the width I wanted the door and pasted it over the wall. Blend the edges and then throw down some straw to cover up my edits. Place the open door over that.
Bingo! It is amazing what can be done with cut, paste and cover! :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

But that wasn't done inside MT, right? That's what I'm getting at. The goal is to be able to do this all in MT, without the need for Photoshopping or GIMPing.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ohhh...

there are two goals that I have here:
1. To create already made buildings completely furnished for those DM's who just want to stamp something quickly.
2. To create empty buildings for the DM's that have somoe extra time and want to stamp down interactable (stamped) items.

In the example you are talking about, I cut out that doorway in Photoshop but my end result was to have a completely furnished Barn.

Now, if I were approach this in Maptool, i would have just stamped a close door over the wall.

What would I do if I wanted a wall open? Well that is a problem currently. I could cut areas out doorways from the template and force you to have to put a door there or I can just completely box all the rooms in and have you decide where the doors are going to be.

What does the community prefer? I can make them either way.

Or, I have to make a small stamp and have you plop that down yourself however, the shadowing kinda gets all screwed up that way and it doesn't look all that nice.

Would you rather have that?

I am open for any option - you guys tell me what will work best for you.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

This is still a difficulty. I could see this going as far as the buildings be TOTALLY empty shells, no inner walls at all, and GMs would place wall objects where needed. Obviously this would be difficult to make look as good as it does straight from DJ or other mapping apps.

But, not being able to do such a thing inside maptool does present a problem for those who are simply graphics-apps-challenged (meaning have trouble figuring out GIMP and the like), much less being able to clone floor areas and make convincing wall openings.

Without proper drawing tools within MT, I don't know if there is a good answer. And WITH good drawing tools in Mt, there's no more need for DJ.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I think if anything, a good wall tool would be great. Pick a texture and draw walls. This way we could in fact have shells with floors and the GM could make thier own walls.

Nonetheless though. to make a map take a lot of time. I don't think making maps in Maptools is going to be any faster than it is making them in Dundjinni or Photoshop.

Those maps you see today took me around 4 hours total. That is a lot of time. Thank goodness I wasn't at work today! ;)

I don't see Maptool being able to speed up map making from scratch any faster so that was why I figured on just making around 70% of the buildings. This way a GM can stamp down items in the already created map. That is where I see Maptool shining.

Thoughts?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ultimately, I'd like the see a Door feature in MT, where you say, I want a door here. Mt will then display a list of Door graphics to use. You then set the state of the door to Open/Closed/Ajar/Destroyed. Then with a simple click of a button you can change the state.

But that's getting WAY out there, of course, and depends on MT having the wall drawing tools and such.

Personally I'm easy, since I can go into GIMP or PS or Fireworks and edit the base map.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:Ultimately, I'd like the see a Door feature in MT, where you say, I want a door here. Mt will then display a list of Door graphics to use. You then set the state of the door to Open/Closed/Ajar/Destroyed. Then with a simple click of a button you can change the state.
Look for this in the 2.0 version of MT, that's where we'll take the core mapping functionality and built it into a space :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Look for this in the 2.0 version of MT, that's where we'll take the core mapping functionality and built it into a space :)
You're such a tease! :shock:
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Here is a temple I made during lunch today that fit Hylas roof Set1Misc5:

Generic version coming soon!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

We ought to put some of these buildings into the default MT build :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “User Creations”