Weather window?

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

dorpond wrote:Although I would probably prefer being able to dock it AND move it if the user prefers it docked somewhere else. (and of course being able to turn them off all together.

I am big on personal preferences. :)
Options are good lets just not go too deep into personal preference. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Having the weather box along with a game clock that can be suspended and activated easily by the GM would be great. Maybe have it small, but if left-clicked could expand for easier viewing, then shrink again when the click is released.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I love the idea of a weather and game-time displays being floating graphics over the map areas. Would be even better if these were plug-ins that could be customized to suit the GM and/or game system preference.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Phergus wrote:I love the idea of a weather and game-time displays being floating graphics over the map areas. Would be even better if these were plug-ins that could be customized to suit the GM and/or game system preference.
Absolutely.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

You're in luck, we've been talking about a networking restructuring recently that would make plugins much easier to implement.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:Having the weather box along with a game clock that can be suspended and activated easily by the GM would be great. Maybe have it small, but if left-clicked could expand for easier viewing, then shrink again when the click is released.
So what would the clock face look like ? Would it use hours/minutes/seconds/year, or something more abstract ?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

There is a request to do this in inittool as well, since it already had the concept of time in it for the individual rounds. There we discussed making it look like a digital clock. Eventually it would have contained calandar support.

trevor

Post by trevor »

jay wrote:There is a request to do this in inittool as well, since it already had the concept of time in it for the individual rounds.
Which would make hooking the two up pretty easy when the time comes.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I would say the clock could be either a digital readout, or a traditional clockface, maybe with multiple clock graphics for various genres.

InitTool would be dealing with Combat time, which rends to slow down as compared to campaign time, like the last 10 minutes of a basketball game.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

I guess I mean, would time be measured in years, days, hours, minutes ?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

yes 8)
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:I guess I mean, would time be measured in years, days, hours, minutes ?
I say yes as well.

Oh okay.

Once we get to the level of having campaign level awareness then when I run a session I would expect to be able to set the campaign date including year, month, day, hour, etc.. Or, if loading an existing campaign file, pick up where it left off. From there if the players were moving across country then time would be ticked off in the larger chunks appropriate to that kind of movement. Every hour, every 4 hours, whatever. Now perhaps they arrive at a town and are wandering about shopping, asking questions or whoring and drinking. Perhaps time would be ticked off in hours or quarter-hours. Again, whatever makes sense for the circumstances or game system.

If things get into melee combat or some situation where melee turns are used I would expect that InitTool would take over the time keeping, perhaps getting the time of day from MapTool (or CampaignTool), and tracking time during the combat. At the end of combat, InitTool would update whoever needed updating about the elapsed time.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've added a tracker for the clock overlay, and another one for the weather overlay, and assigned them for implementation in 1.2

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Steel Rat wrote:multiple clock graphics for various genres
A must!
Game On!

Return to “User Creations”