My first map...

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Gryndyl
Kobold

My first map...

Post by Gryndyl »

...be gentle! :D Far from perfect, most notably in inconsistent building shadows and a bad blending job trying to fix some of the shadows, but I thought it came out ok for my first attempt. Made using Dungeonforge.

Modern day city rooftops, night:

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Great map! Except for the overall darkness. I'm guessing that was intended?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Gryndyl
Kobold

Post by Gryndyl »

Yup. Was trying for a 2AM look

Jester
Cave Troll

Post by Jester »

Not bad at all! :)

You're right, though, the inconsistent shadows are a little distracting. You're also making it way too easy on your players. ;) How about dropping a couple of street- or door-lamps in those two court-yards? Then put either some naked bulbs hanging outside in that alley, or if you can manage it, light spilling down from windows above. It'll drive people to distraction, and I'm all about having my players curse my name. :mrgreen:
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E Role-Playing (On-line)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

The only problem I could see there is when the PCs introduce light, it will still be dark.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Jester
Cave Troll

Post by Jester »

No PC in their right minds is going to introduce light into that map. They're going to look at it, then delude themselves into thinking their character is invisible. ;) A smart GM encourages that sort of foolishness, and then breaks it in half by putting just enough light into such a map to make them think "darn it! If only that streetlight wasn't there! I could totally cross that map completely unseen!"

As I said, it's very distracting to your average PC. THAT distraction keeps them from thinking about the dog that lives in the second building to the left until the dog starts barking. ;)
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Gryndyl
Kobold

Post by Gryndyl »

Jester wrote:Not bad at all! :)

You're right, though, the inconsistent shadows are a little distracting. You're also making it way too easy on your players. ;) How about dropping a couple of street- or door-lamps in those two court-yards? Then put either some naked bulbs hanging outside in that alley, or if you can manage it, light spilling down from windows above. It'll drive people to distraction, and I'm all about having my players curse my name. :mrgreen:
Well, see, this is for a Call of Cthulhu campaign. The players LIKE lights at nightime...the things chasing their butts across the rooftop are quite happy with darkness :mrgreen:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Looks super great :)

On a related note, we have in line to implement weather effects, which are basically image overlays onto the map such as rain, fog, snow, and will include the ability to change the color overlay. That means that you can create normal lighted areas, then darken them with atmosphere effects.

Which would then be pretty cool if light effected that. Man that would be sweet !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Jester
Cave Troll

Post by Jester »

::snickers:: Even better, then. If you put the lights in the courtyards, you give them the unfortunate choice between being eaten at ground level where they can see the thing that's going to eat them, or jumping from rooftop to rooftop in the dark.

Don't forget the dog, though. ;) The dog is very important. Life goes on even when soul-sucking monsters are moving through the neighborhood and introducing one more little distrcation into an already overly-distracting situation is the mark of a truly masterful GM.
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Man, some cutthroat GMs out there. :shock:
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Very nice map, Gryndyl.

I sometimes like to add a bluish tint for nighttime maps, after first desaturating the colors a bit. But it can be tricky getting just the right effect.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Gryndyl, I notice you are hosting the image at imageshack. You are welcome to put the image on either the rptools.net gallery, or up at rpgmapshare.com (run by Steel Rat). Both places will give you more permanent filespace and bandwidth, and are searched by lots of other people :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Gryndyl
Kobold

Post by Gryndyl »

heruca wrote:Very nice map, Gryndyl.

I sometimes like to add a bluish tint for nighttime maps, after first desaturating the colors a bit. But it can be tricky getting just the right effect.
The "darkness" is actual an object overlay for Dungeontools rahter than any creative tinting on my part. Same with the shadows and the light source from the open doorway.

Gryndyl
Kobold

Post by Gryndyl »

trevor wrote:Gryndyl, I notice you are hosting the image at imageshack. You are welcome to put the image on either the rptools.net gallery, or up at rpgmapshare.com (run by Steel Rat). Both places will give you more permanent filespace and bandwidth, and are searched by lots of other people :)
When I'd checked last my account for the gallery wasn't active. It is now, though, so I uploaded :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Very nice map! I am impressed! The darkness I am sure will work well for your game.

As stated by Trevor, our goal in the future versions of Maptool is to be able and take daylight maps and turn them into dark maps with a quick flick of the wrist within Maptool. That would be sweet!!

This way we will only need one version of a map. When it gets dark, drop the darkness overlay. Gwaahahaha!!!

:twisted: Then we can bring out those zombie dogs!!! :twisted:

Return to “User Creations”