Zombies Dancing In The Rain!!

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

thelevitator
Dragon

Zombies Dancing In The Rain!!

Post by thelevitator »

OK, I just got finished creating a loop for an upcoming encounter. The party is going to arrive in a hamlet that is overrun with zombies. About 10 of them are pounding on a single building in town. The party will be able to hear the cries and screams of women and children inside the building. There are actually more than 30 zombies wandering around this hamlet. I have them broken into 5 groups and they will stagger their way towards the party 1 group at a time. Since this has the potential to be either a massive combat encounter or heroic covert rescue of the people trapped inside, I wanted to create a sound environment tailored to this event. I thought I would share it with everyone here. I literally whipped this together in about an hour using 12 tracks on Vegas Video. It's a 5 minute loop that you can just run continously along with some nice creepy music. It's a direct link so you might want to do the 'ole "save target as" for this file.

http://www.spelz.biz/ZombiesInTheRain.mp3

I tried to keep the creatures sounding a bit generic so that you could use it for any encounter where some creatures are trying to get people inside a building.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Ahhhhh Man ! AWESOME ! I'm Just In Time For Halloween ! Woot ! (I'm thinking setting it up on loop playing out my front door :) )
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Very cool, Lev. Where do you get the source clips that you're editing together?

The woman screaming and sobbing gets a bit repetitive. I think you could get by with much shorter loops (maybe 2 minutes long?) if you just space out the sounds a bit more.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I found most of them at http://www.findsounds.com/. Another great source are videogames. Converting BMU files to MP3 files is pretty simple. One thing I forgot to do with the screams was to change them up a bit and bury them a bit more, as they were supposed to be inside a building. One technique I use to get more mileage out of a single sound is to copy them, but change the lengths and pitches of the copies to make them sound like different people. That tends to make the loops sound less loopy.

Another important factor to remember is that I always have music playing along with the sound evironments which helps them sound even less repetitive.

I could make these a ton better, but I had never originally intended on sharing them on the net. Many of the sounds could really use some EQ-ing and compression to make them blend with other sounds better. I also have a lot more sounds than I use, but I tend to copy and paste the same sound and just make small changes to them because it's quicker. I slap thse environments together in about an hour, because they were originally just for our games and combined with the music, they work pretty well.

If there's a serious interest in these files here, I'd be more than happy to redo them and make them much better quality. I'm in the process of adding a huge library of sounds from several videogames, so I'll probably wait to create any new ones until I add the new sounds. It should only take me a few days. :D

James Anthony

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

I'm certainly interested in building up a nice collection of sounds, so I could do what you're doing. I'm just a bit limited in time to go out and collect them, ATM.

All I've got for now is a lot of military sounds. Gunfire, explosions, ricochets, Marines yelling orders, things of that sort. Nothing too useful for a fantasy game.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Last night I had a bit of insomnia, so I started grabbing music and sound effects off the game "Pool of Radiance". The sound effects are awesome and I really like the music. The best part about using video game music and background noises is that they are already designed to be looped, so they are seamless. It's a bit of a tedious project, but I actually enjoy grabbing the sounds, organizing them and then creating my own backgrounds. Once I get my library up to a respectable size, I will be happy to post it! :D

James Anthony

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

thelevitator wrote:"Pool of Radiance".
Original or remake :) ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

The one I have is called "Pool of Radiance, ruins of Myth Drannor". It uses 3rd Edition rules so I don't think it's a super old game. A friend of mine gave it to me a couple years ago, but I don't really play PC games much. But the music and sound effects on it are awesome. There are over 2100 .wav on this game alone. It's a bit tedious to grab sounds, organize them and them create new loops, but I do enjoy it. I'm going to redo the ones I've already put up to make them a bit cleaner.

James Anthony

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I like it Levitator!!

We still need to hook up some night ;)
I have some nice RPGSoundMixer files you could use. Roughly 200-300 meg though. :)

But time is limited lately - I will contact you when the time is right.

Great stuff!

Return to “User Creations”