[Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: [Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Post by RPTroll »

nortonweb wrote:Hi

I'm trying to work out how to add new gear and am getting a bit stuck. If you have time could you suggest were I should start?

many thanks again

Pete

There is a 'Run Once' section of macro buttons on the gear tab. You'll need to edit those in order to load your own gear. My advice is to download a JSON editor (there are several free ones), copy the JSONS into there to edit then put them back into the macro.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

simonr43
Cave Troll

Post by simonr43 »

RPTroll wrote:

I'm trying to work out how to add new gear and am getting a bit stuck. If you have time could you suggest were I should start?

many thanks again

Pete

There is a 'Run Once' section of macro buttons on the gear tab. You'll need to edit those in order to load your own gear. My advice is to download a JSON editor (there are several free ones), copy the JSONS into there to edit then put them back into the macro.
I've been trying to do this as well. I've found the macros to edit, but when i make changes they don't seem to be reflected in the character sheet. After randomly clicking around the macros i seemed to get the sheet to update, but i'm not sure how. Is there something i need to do after editing to force an update?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Maybe what I need to do is an online Skype course. :-)

I'll try to update this forum tonight after the family's gone to bed on how to put in new gear.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

simonr43 wrote:
RPTroll wrote:

many thanks again

Pete

I've been trying to do this as well. I've found the macros to edit, but when i make changes they don't seem to be reflected in the character sheet. After randomly clicking around the macros i seemed to get the sheet to update, but i'm not sure how. Is there something i need to do after editing to force an update?

Ah, if I understand correclty, you change the macro then you have to run that same macro by pushing the button. It should then replace the gear list on the token property with your new gear. You can check this out by right clicking on the gear macro, selecting 'edit' from the popup menu the selecting the properties tab on the dialoag window that appears.

I really, really will try to finish the gear editing windows soon. I've been swamped with a number of things and hope to get back to it soon.

simonr43
Cave Troll

Post by simonr43 »

RPTroll wrote:
Ah, if I understand correclty, you change the macro then you have to run that same macro by pushing the button. It should then replace the gear list on the token property with your new gear. You can check this out by right clicking on the gear macro, selecting 'edit' from the popup menu the selecting the properties tab on the dialoag window that appears.

I really, really will try to finish the gear editing windows soon. I've been swamped with a number of things and hope to get back to it soon.
Ha! See that was just too obvious for me, I thought it would be more complicated! No worries about the gear editor, I'm just grateful for the framework it's a hell of a piece of work! I do have one more question... you mentioned JSON editors, is there a windows based one you would recommend that doesn't make too many assumptions about programming knowledge?

Thanks again

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

simonr43 wrote:
RPTroll wrote:

Ha! See that was just too obvious for me, I thought it would be more complicated! No worries about the gear editor, I'm just grateful for the framework it's a hell of a piece of work! I do have one more question... you mentioned JSON editors, is there a windows based one you would recommend that doesn't make too many assumptions about programming knowledge?

Thanks again
You know, I just thought of using a JSON editor to get you guys past the rough spot. I know some other folks have posted links to the editors in the maptool forums. I did a search and this popped out
http://www.thomasfrank.se/downloadableJ ... ample.html
There are others you can find in this thread
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=75777#p75777

You can also google for them.

Good luck!
Last edited by RPTroll on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

I'd still like an editor but I'm greedy :)

Where's that gift horse I wanna check its teeth...

Seriously tho I'll try out some of the JSON macros too.. if you have a family with kids (and I think I remember you saying somewhere a new one) plus your writing some excellent articles then your already overloaded in my books just having time to reply here is enough.

Thanks again for the fantastic framework

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

No wonder I couldn't get it going the first try I just cut and pasted Stun Grenade and changed some data like the name !!!

Any way as you seem to be here now...

I was going to add Bite and Fist as Gear is that what you would do?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You know, I tried adding some generic attacks like d4Attack, d6Attack, etc., but buggered something up when I created a one shot Zombie game. I think that needs to be added to the base weapon types regardless of which genre you're in as it really helps when creating critters. You have the option of doing one d4 with a Shooting, Fighting, and Throwing weapon variation or separate them out into d4Shooting, d4Fighting, etc. Its up to you as to which you find less confusing and easier to code.

What I really want to do is create the JSON objects by genre and have them listed for folks to use. Maybe you guys could post them here once your done so others won't feel the same pain. You can either post the source code or extract that macro button for others to import.

Oh, by the way, Wiggy's interview will be out tomorrow morning. (I wrote it and I still can't wait)

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

Hi
Got it working. You edit the JSON macro which hold the item type you want to add (for me I added a d4Bite attack so needed to add it to the Weapon and WeaponDamage macros) and add you item by copying an item already there but increment the number then ... and heres the bit I didn't get till just now.. you run ALL the Run Once macros (not sure if order matters).

And bingo partridge hatstand I have a d4Bite attack.

I'll do the Rippers gear over the next few nights (wife and kids have gone up the coast to her sisters for the first few days of school hols while I keep going to work.. the life of a contractor :( ) and post it up here.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams interview is up. Enjoy!

simonr43
Cave Troll

Post by simonr43 »

Attached is my first attempt at editing the Gear macros. Basically I've limited it to the equipment suitable for fantasy/medieval settings available in the SWEX core rules. I removed the scifi stuff, added some stuff, and altered some of the existing items to reflect the core rules prices etc. Where weapons have special effects (for example Lance is AP2, but only when charging) I have NOT included the effect in the table, but have put it in the notes field so the GM/player can include take it into account if appropriate. Hopefully we can build up a 'library' of macros for different settings. I'm off to do Solomon Kane next...

Si
Attachments
SWEXFrameworkMacrosFantasy.zip
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

simonr43 wrote:Attached is my first attempt at editing the Gear macros. Basically I've limited it to the equipment suitable for fantasy/medieval settings available in the SWEX core rules. I removed the scifi stuff, added some stuff, and altered some of the existing items to reflect the core rules prices etc. Where weapons have special effects (for example Lance is AP2, but only when charging) I have NOT included the effect in the table, but have put it in the notes field so the GM/player can include take it into account if appropriate. Hopefully we can build up a 'library' of macros for different settings. I'm off to do Solomon Kane next...

Si
Perfect! I've got a similar dilemma with Kevlar. It is armor 8 against bullets. I figure the notes section is the best place for information like that.

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

Gear Tokens for Rippers inc Rippers Companion Items.
Attachments
Rippers.zip
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You Rock!

Thanks for sharing.

Giver yourself an extra GM Bennie for the next game. :mrgreen: