[Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Re: [Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Post by Amaril »

RPTroll wrote:
Amaril wrote:I just keep having horrible flashbacks to the debacle that was E-Tools which tried to manage 3e rules. The 3e rules weren't designed to accomodate such automation. 4e was supposed to have been designed with digital, database-driven tools in mind, but I don't know how successful they were with achieving that goal.
I'm limited by the amount of time I have to dedicate to this effort. I would love to have a database driven app for storing things but Maptool doesn't have a database and I don't have time to write/implement one for it. What you can expect in the future is more hyper links with alt text for edge, hindrances, gear, powers and racial abilities so folks don't have to look up modifiers in a book. The whole goal is ease of play not automation of the SW knowledge base. I want to create something that allows GMs to rapidly create NPCs, assign gear and powers to them and start gaming. Ditto for the players. I think I've done that for the players now I'm working on the GM part.
I didn't mean to imply that I wanted a database-driven setup. I meant to imply that I found it easier simply to do everything manually in the end. It also kept the game feeling "organic" and in tune with the rules.

But that's just one man's opinion. I still enjoy and appreciate the character sheet macros and forms, but I also still have my SW macro-lite campaign file that I use for my own games.
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

yeah, in a way I wonder if the effort is worth it. Its a lot harder to code something you're going to share vs. something you're only going to use for your game but since I run a Demo games and want to support SW and Maptool I think its worth the effort. At the very least it gives folks not familiar with one or the other products a feel for the game and/or VTT. I've been called the MT/SW evangelist and don't mind the title. These two product gave me my gaming hobby back so I think its only fair I give a little back.

At the same time, for the framework to be usable it really does need editing windows for the genre set up. Since Savages tend to play a number of genres (cuz they can without relearning rules), the framework needs to make it as easy as possible to do that. Once I get the Setting tokens working I'll ask for contributions from folks and post them here so regardless of the game you're playing you'll have chance that someone else has run that setting and has shared the setup. Its all in keeping the FFF.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Hussar
Kobold

Post by Hussar »

Sorry again for the stupid questions. Do the players need to load the .cmpgn file onto their hard drive and then load it into Maptool before they connect to my server? Or do they just connect and run off of my campaign macros?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

They just connect and run. Your server will server up all the stuff needed to their client. If you've got image intensive maps and have access to a web server, you might also consider this

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2709

It will allow the players to download the images from the web server rather than your PC.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Is the grand and glorious day of new SW framework upon us? I've finally settled on a one-shot I'd like to give the Maptool Savage World Community and want to wait until the next version of the framework is ready.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Well, reckon I'll have to divert back to it. :-)

I've got three articles queued for The Dice of Life so maybe that'll keep Amaril happy for a while. :-)

I should have some time this week to devote to it. By the way, I'm crafting a series of 1 page fantasy adventures inside the framework as we speak. ( er read)

Hussar
Kobold

Post by Hussar »

Yet another question. Thanks for your patience.

I'm using the framework here to make a wildcard monster. How do I add a bite attack to the die rolls? Or do I just add a new macro? Does the CSS handle this sort of thing?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Hussar wrote:Yet another question. Thanks for your patience.

I'm using the framework here to make a wildcard monster. How do I add a bite attack to the die rolls? Or do I just add a new macro? Does the CSS handle this sort of thing?
Last game I tried adding some generic attacks (4d,d6,d8,d10&d12). I must have buggered something up cuz it sometimes threw an error. Still, I think this is the right approach.

For now you might add a damage macro to the token itself or put that on the campaign panel with the 'run against selected token' to make use of the Strength property. Something like

[Strength+d4e]

After watching an old video I've decided I need to include some buttons for trait tests and attacks in the campaign panel. This way you can select a group of orcs and have them all attack at once.

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

Hi

I was having a play with your framework last night (absolutely fantastic work by the way) trying to add in the vegi 4E tool tips into the trait and weapon tests from your frame work (I was trying to get the values of the dice rolls and if they exploded into the tool tip.. I got it going) when I noticed that I couldn't find the +d6 damage on a raise anywhere.
Did I miss it? I was going to add it into the weapon test "On a raise you do xxx additional damage. Total damage on a raise is yyy."

Also (and I'm deducing this from your Blog post where from memory you say you normally run games mainly in chat) where you select your target is that just for chat rather then a mechanical aspect I missed?

cheers and thank heaps for all your work

Peter

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

nortonweb wrote:Hi

I was having a play with your framework last night (absolutely fantastic work by the way) trying to add in the vegi 4E tool tips into the trait and weapon tests from your frame work (I was trying to get the values of the dice rolls and if they exploded into the tool tip.. I got it going) when I noticed that I couldn't find the +d6 damage on a raise anywhere.
Did I miss it? I was going to add it into the weapon test "On a raise you do xxx additional damage. Total damage on a raise is yyy."

Also (and I'm deducing this from your Blog post where from memory you say you normally run games mainly in chat) where you select your target is that just for chat rather then a mechanical aspect I missed?

cheers and thank heaps for all your work

Peter
I didn't add the d6 since I didn't have a place for the target number. You could modify the weapon use screen to input that, I suppose, and add the additional d6e after that.

The selecting of target is for chat but I had grand schemes of finding the range and parry (in the case of melee) and using that for raise computation and range modifier. It hasn't happened yet. :-)

Currently I'm working on a gear input dialog to make it easier to add and remove gear from the campaign.

Thanks for the kind words,
Keith

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

So, I've been noodling around the framework code today. (I'm looking at running Deadlands or Nesassery Evil) and want to double check... I need to mess with the

[AmmoJSON] [ArmorJSON] [OtherJSON] [WeaponDamageJSON] and [WeaponsJSON] macros in the RunOnce part of the Lib:Gear token to make the changes. Is this correct?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Correct. The 'Run Once' should be the stuff you need to set the framework up.

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

Hi

I'm trying to work out how to add new gear and am getting a bit stuck. If you have time could you suggest were I should start?

many thanks again

Pete

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

RPTroll: a note on your "SW Evangelist" title; it's because of your posts that I -did- check out Savage Worlds and, over this weekend, bought the PDF. My gaming group will be heading into a thin-several month period of little time for gaming and I'm hoping SW will give us the "quick play" that I've been reading about. I'm actually kinda excited about trying the system out. (And if you do some one-page fantasy adventures, even better. ^.^)

I intend to trying out your framework but was curious if there is a way to make output (which I am basing on your screenshots) for roll resolutions not so big in the chat output frame? I like the dice images, but I think they'd start to clutter the chat/RP after awhile.

Thanks!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

OK. You've got me on my soap box. :-)

I have a one page ready to go. It will be appearing on The Dice of Life this week ( I think ).

Also, we have some great articles include reviews with Shane Hensley (creator of Savage Worlds), Wiggy (coming out tomorrow), 1 page adventure (easily put into any game system), articles on gaming with Google tools, as well as some pulp sci-fi fiction goodness by your truly.

I'll post the campaign file here after the article posts later in the week. You can take a look at the map here

So check out The Dice of Life for plenty of Savage goodness.

Return to “Savage Worlds Frameworks”