[Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: [Savage Worlds] RPTroll's Campaign File Framework

Post by RPTroll »

jbl7979 wrote:Just was showing a new player what we're doing, and he is getting the "Undefined function: CurrentInit" when trying to open his character sheet. Any ideas?
Sounds like the OnCampaignLoad macro didn't fire. Look for it on the Lib:Deck and Lib:Init tokens and run it by pressing the button. If you still get the error let me know.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

RPTroll wrote:Ok, how about this for Acing rolls. In this case its an orc with a d4 smarts.

Code: Select all

Smarts Roll: 15  
Your rolled Aced 3 times!
or

Smarts Roll: 6 
Your rolled Aced!
I like it. The English student in me feels the quotes should read:

Smarts Roll: 6
You Aced!

Smarts Roll: 15
You Aced 3 times!!!
The first roll simplified because in the context of Savage Worlds, Ace (a noun) has been verbed. So using the word "Aced" would be accurate and less wordy. The second has "!!!" instead of "!" because any time you Ace more than once, the table generally goes head-o explod-o and it seems appropriate.

Would these be hard to do with exploding die rolls?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Changed.

jbl7979
Kobold

Post by jbl7979 »

RPTroll wrote:
jbl7979 wrote:Just was showing a new player what we're doing, and he is getting the "Undefined function: CurrentInit" when trying to open his character sheet. Any ideas?
Sounds like the OnCampaignLoad macro didn't fire. Look for it on the Lib:Deck and Lib:Init tokens and run it by pressing the button. If you still get the error let me know.
Still same issue. But the GM can open their sheets just fine.

EDIT: To add to this, it only happens when I use my own campaign and import your latest. If I use your campaign file and create a map, no issues.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jbl7979 wrote:
RPTroll wrote:
Still same issue. But the GM can open their sheets just fine.

EDIT: To add to this, it only happens when I use my own campaign and import your latest. If I use your campaign file and create a map, no issues.
Hmmm. Player vs. GM issues are normally one of two thing.
1) Make sure the player has a stack size of 4.
2) If you altered or added any macros make sure they are non-editable by players.

If that fails you can send me your campaign file and I'll take a look it it.

jbl7979
Kobold

Post by jbl7979 »

I just took your original campaign file and deleted the maps and started over, which isnt a big deal because its a new campaign. If it happens again though I will look into those suggestions. Thanks for your work on this. Looking forward to the gear/edge/hindrance update.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jbl7979 wrote:I just took your original campaign file and deleted the maps and started over, which isnt a big deal because its a new campaign. If it happens again though I will look into those suggestions. Thanks for your work on this. Looking forward to the gear/edge/hindrance update.
I worked on the gear stuff this weekend.

I'm crunching through the best way to handle setting related data elements like gear, powers, edges, hindrances and attributes (like Righteous Rage in Salomon Kane). My preference is to have the standard SW:EX tokens with add-on tokens for each setting. To that end I'm considering a new type of token called a SETTING token which contains all the additional/changed Edges/Hindrances/Powers along with a complete Gear load. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Hussar
Kobold

Post by Hussar »

Sorry to be a pain, but, which .cmpgn file should I be downloading? The one on the first post, or the one that comes later?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Hussar wrote:Sorry to be a pain, but, which .cmpgn file should I be downloading? The one on the first post, or the one that comes later?
Sorry to say the one that comes later. I'll try to be a good framework provider and update the the original post tonight after the family's gone to bed.

jbl7979
Kobold

Post by jbl7979 »

RPTroll wrote:[

I'm crunching through the best way to handle setting related data elements like gear, powers, edges, hindrances and attributes (like Righteous Rage in Salomon Kane). My preference is to have the standard SW:EX tokens with add-on tokens for each setting. To that end I'm considering a new type of token called a SETTING token which contains all the additional/changed Edges/Hindrances/Powers along with a complete Gear load. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Im not sure how coding works, but if you did that, it would prevent both you and people using the frameworking from having to constantly go through huge irrelevant lists. Plus for somebody like myself who is running a fantasy and deadlands campaign, it would be nice to have two different versions of something that works differently, for example Arcane: Miracles.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

My concern with all of this automation for Savage Worlds, particularly with tokens for different settings, managing any rules variant that each setting has or the effects an edge from any given setting might have will become problematic.
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Amaril wrote:My concern with all of this automation for Savage Worlds, particularly with tokens for different settings, managing any rules variant that each setting has or the effects an edge from any given setting might have will become problematic.
There aren't really many rules associated with the values in question. Mostly its lists. True gear and power have attributes associated with them but I really don't want to get into adding/subtracting from dice rolls based on a power, gear, edge, or hindrance. (although I have a framework in mind for that should I decide to do it). All of this is simply to start playing quicker. Of course you're free to ignore any part of the frame work you desire. You don't have to use gear or powers. I suspect many will stop at the character sheet trait rolls.

What I'm doing it to make it easier for me to game and hoping that others find it useful as well. Halfway through powers I realized addingnew ones was going to be a pain. If you've ever tried to update gear you know the feeling. So I'll add the editors to make it easier for the GMs to get their games set up the coast. :-)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

RPTroll wrote:
Amaril wrote:My concern with all of this automation for Savage Worlds, particularly with tokens for different settings, managing any rules variant that each setting has or the effects an edge from any given setting might have will become problematic.
There aren't really many rules associated with the values in question. Mostly its lists. True gear and power have attributes associated with them but I really don't want to get into adding/subtracting from dice rolls based on a power, gear, edge, or hindrance. (although I have a framework in mind for that should I decide to do it). All of this is simply to start playing quicker. Of course you're free to ignore any part of the frame work you desire. You don't have to use gear or powers. I suspect many will stop at the character sheet trait rolls.

What I'm doing it to make it easier for me to game and hoping that others find it useful as well. Halfway through powers I realized addingnew ones was going to be a pain. If you've ever tried to update gear you know the feeling. So I'll add the editors to make it easier for the GMs to get their games set up the coast. :-)
But don't you already account for Edges like Quick or Level Headed in some macros?

I just keep having horrible flashbacks to the debacle that was E-Tools which tried to manage 3e rules. The 3e rules weren't designed to accomodate such automation. 4e was supposed to have been designed with digital, database-driven tools in mind, but I don't know how successful they were with achieving that goal.

Anyway, I'll trust you to do the right thing. You know, like displaying how many bennies or powerpoints are remaining, calculating the number of PP spent at each round... Oh, wait. (Just messin' with ya. :) )
Kristian

jbl7979
Kobold

Post by jbl7979 »

RPTroll wrote:

I was manually updating gear using your framework for my deadlands game, and it was quite a bunch of work.

I definately think the best thing you can do is provide a framework where we have a screen to input the names and values. Its absolutely a life saver to have these, and there really are very few skills that I would even want to automatically modify rolls.

And yes, while its nice to have an edge like Quick automatically accounted for, its certainly no big deal to do those type of things by hand.

Id much, much rather have a framework which allows me to add / modify all the major things like gear and skill values, then have somebody spend a ton of extra time trying to tweak a single edge/skill that may or may not be used, and even then, not often.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Amaril wrote:But don't you already account for Edges like Quick or Level Headed in some macros?
Yes, The init system was the first coded before I had the idea for the deck interface. They'll stay in there since its only three edges.
Amaril wrote:I just keep having horrible flashbacks to the debacle that was E-Tools which tried to manage 3e rules. The 3e rules weren't designed to accomodate such automation. 4e was supposed to have been designed with digital, database-driven tools in mind, but I don't know how successful they were with achieving that goal.
I'm limited by the amount of time I have to dedicate to this effort. I would love to have a database driven app for storing things but Maptool doesn't have a database and I don't have time to write/implement one for it. What you can expect in the future is more hyper links with alt text for edge, hindrances, gear, powers and racial abilities so folks don't have to look up modifiers in a book. The whole goal is ease of play not automation of the SW knowledge base. I want to create something that allows GMs to rapidly create NPCs, assign gear and powers to them and start gaming. Ditto for the players. I think I've done that for the players now I'm working on the GM part.
Amaril wrote:Anyway, I'll trust you to do the right thing. You know, like displaying how many bennies or powerpoints are remaining, calculating the number of PP spent at each round... Oh, wait. (Just messin' with ya. :) )
Pet peeves fixed last. :lol:

After gear I'll add the racial editor (used for creating creatures as well). I also need to implement a way to go above d12 (i.e. d12+1, d12+2). I know it sounds as simple as adding additional values to the drop down (and it could be) but that's going to turn into one big drop down. Another method would be to add a drop down alongside the die drop down if the trait is d12. I'm just not sure yet.

I've updated the latest campaign to fix the init reset function. It wasn't taking into account the stepcount on the init token and added the acing stuff to the die rolls. I've gotten further with gear and hope to have it completed in a week but I'm running two games this week and taking the camper to the lake this weekend so I might run out of time. We'll see.

Regardless I'll post the latest campaign file out after Wednesday's game (assuming they finish it).

Cheers,
Troll.

Return to “Savage Worlds Frameworks”